Draft Thread

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
stripesincarolina

Re: Draft Thread

Post by stripesincarolina » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:05 am

I'd be fine taking OT with the first pick as long as they bundle picks to get back into Round 1 and address LB. Our depth there is equally as bad, if not worse than OT. And by my count there are only 3 Top 100 Rated LB's in the draft this year not including any edge rushers that may be convertible. So unless Zac has a LB trade up his sleeve, we gotta draft one early.
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins

TheBurn

Post by TheBurn » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:58 am

this... :arrow:
stripesincarolina wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:05 am
I'd be fine taking OT with the first pick as long as they bundle picks to get back into Round 1 and address LB. Our depth there is equally as bad, if not worse than OT. And by my count there are only 3 Top 100 Rated LB's in the draft this year not including any edge rushers that may be convertible. So unless Zac has a LB trade up his sleeve, we gotta draft one early.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:55 pm

So I've been chatting with a certain former member of this board who is dead set that the Bengals have to take Haskins if he is available at 11.

I'm curious... What would be the mood of the board if they did shock us and go QB in the first round.

While I think we have way too many needs to focus on a QB this year I have to admit that if the Bengals drafted Haskins it would be hard not to be a little bit excited to see how it plays out.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:57 pm

So I listened to the entire podcast with Lap on Bengals.com and he really has me convinced that they will go OT with their first pick. I love the trade down scenario they discussed as well....move to 15 on a trade with Washington, get an additional 3rd rounder and lose a 6th. This allows us to get our OT in round 1 and still have 3 more picks in Rounds 2 & 3 to go defense. Lap was also convinced that Bush and White are overrated first round projections in a weak LB draft. Notably, they each only have 1 INT for their entire career!! He sounds confident we can find a competent LB in Rounds 2 or 3 but overall the talent just isnt there this year.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:00 pm

Jmble wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:55 pm
So I've been chatting with a certain former member of this board who is dead set that the Bengals have to take Haskins if he is available at 11.

I'm curious... What would be the mood of the board if they did shock us and go QB in the first round.

While I think we have way too many needs to focus on a QB this year I have to admit that if the Bengals drafted Haskins it would be hard not to be a little bit excited to see how it plays out.
Pissed off. Even Lap agrees that the mentality of the Bengals right now is build the offense up again around Dalton and give him one more shot. Too much uncertainty otherwise and we still have some interesting options later in the draft such as Greer from WV. No way they go QB.

If your former member is B1 tell him to quit ghosting us and get his ass back here.

Exile

Post by Exile » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:28 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:00 pm
Jmble wrote:

Pissed off. Even Lap agrees that the mentality of the Bengals right now is build the offense up again around Dalton and give him one more shot. Too much uncertainty otherwise and we still have some interesting options later in the draft such as Greer from WV. No way they go QB.

If your former member is B1 tell him to quit ghosting us and get his ass back here.
While I may be looking at this through scarlet and gray glasses, I am a big fan of Haskins. I think he's good and getting better. I think a situation where he could sit behind a veteran like Andy for a year could see him emerge as a franchise QB. There's never a sure thing at QB, but I like the kid. So I wouldn't be totally pissed if we took him, but I'd rather see us fill a need like O-line or LB.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:37 pm

Dollars to doughnuts Andy would demand a trade if we went after a new franchise Round 1 QB. He knows his deal would not be renewed after this season so why wouldn't he go elsewhere and get big money.....MUCH bigger. If you don't think there are teams out there that would pay for Dalton you are crazy. Washington would be all over him.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:28 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:37 pm
Dollars to doughnuts Andy would demand a trade if we went after a new franchise Round 1 QB. He knows his deal would not be renewed after this season so why wouldn't he go elsewhere and get big money.....MUCH bigger. If you don't think there are teams out there that would pay for Dalton you are crazy. Washington would be all over him.
This I agree with. I think if you take a QB in the first round you have to already be on the phone with someone like Washington about trading Dalton for more draft picks this year. We know Jay Gruden is a Dalton fan.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:25 am

I wouldn't mind a QB...because at the end of the day, does it really matter? We are the Bengals. We suck. We are years away from being a legit contender for the SB so if anything it would give me renewed interest in the Team

We did absolutely nothing at LB in free agency. They HAVE to do something. In fact, I think they need to ensure they get one of the top 2 and should trade up to do that.

If they stay put and wait, which they will, and one of the LB's doesn't fall, they should draft the best available OL

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:27 pm

Jmble wrote:

I wouldn't mind haskins if we had the people to make him great and not the next Akili Smith.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.