NFL News & Notes

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

Re: NFL News & Notes

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:35 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:08 am
Well there's Chase's numbers we've all been waiting for.
Joel Corry @corryjoel
Ja'Marr Chase made it clear he was waiting for Justin Jefferson to reset the WR market. He now has a salary floor. Structure may the biggest issue. The Bengals have only given traditional guarantees to Joe Burrow. Will the Bengals make another exception for Chase?

Paul Dehner Jr. @pauldehnerjr
Joel is spot on, as usual.
The #Bengals won't have a problem paying the AAV to Chase. The question will be how they approach the guarantees/structure. Way out of their non-Burrow comfort zone. Unless Burrow and Chase were an exception-to-the-rule package from Day 1.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:52 pm

I know many here will not agree with me but that IMO to too much for a WR when your QB is already taking up so much cap space. If they can get two first round picks for him I make that trade. Try to keep Tee at a more reasonable number and have picks to find his replacement.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:08 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:52 pm
I know many here will not agree with me but that IMO to too much for a WR when your QB is already taking up so much cap space. If they can get two first round picks for him I make that trade. Try to keep Tee at a more reasonable number and have picks to find his replacement.
That's an interesting take.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:50 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:08 pm
4256 Hits wrote:
I suppose it comes down to whether you think Chase is a very good WR or an exceptional WR.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:04 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:50 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:08 pm
4256 Hits wrote:
I suppose it comes down to whether you think Chase is a very good WR or an exceptional WR.
Personally I don't think Higgins is a #1 WR, so I'd be more inclined to pay Chase and replace the #2 with other draft stock. I think Hit's logic is pretty sound if you think Higgins is a legit #1. However we could not pay either and bolster other parts of the team and hope that Burrow can elevate anyone at the WR position. I just thought Hit's had an interesting take and I would chew it over in my head a bit before really coming to my own theory.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:06 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
I am one of those people who will not agree with you.

I 100 percent disagree. The cap is only going to go up. Higgins may accept less but it won’t be much less. And I’m not even confident Tee will accept less. And it’s a no brainer which of the two I would rather have on my team. The last thing I want to do in a "Super Bowl Window" is take away are star QB's top weapon. Especially a guy who he's had this much chemistry with since college.

Might be different if Mikey was going to take the money saved and split it out between some very good players at cheaper positions, but I just don't see that happening. Last thing I want to see is the Bengals take a flyer on another John Ross in the first round when we have one of the top five receivers in the league on the team now.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:45 pm

Jmble wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:06 pm
4256 Hits wrote:
I am one of those people who will not agree with you.

I 100 percent disagree. The cap is only going to go up. Higgins may accept less but it won’t be much less. And I’m not even confident Tee will accept less. And it’s a no brainer which of the two I would rather have on my team. The last thing I want to do in a "Super Bowl Window" is take away are star QB's top weapon. Especially a guy who he's had this much chemistry with since college.

Might be different if Mikey was going to take the money saved and split it out between some very good players at cheaper positions, but I just don't see that happening. Last thing I want to see is the Bengals take a flyer on another John Ross in the first round when we have one of the top five receivers in the league on the team now.
Obviously if Higgins wants same money as Chase then I would much rather have Chase because he is a better more consistent player. It worked out for KC to trade away Hill and rely on QB play to carry the Offense. Yes for trading Chase to be a good idea Mikey would still have to spend the money on other players to make the team better.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:18 pm

I'm with J on this one 100%

This should not catch SoP or Punkin' by surprise. The team knew this was coming for the last few years.

It's why the sold naming rights to the stadium. Its been with an eye towards this day they've negotiated the last few players contracts.

They should be prepared for this, no excuses.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:41 pm

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
🚨 🚨 🚨
The #Jaguars have reached a deal with their star QB Trevor Lawrence. Sources says they are giving the former No. 1 pick a 5-year extension worth $275M — $55M a year — with $200M guaranteed and $142M fully.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:44 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:41 pm
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
🚨 🚨 🚨
The #Jaguars have reached a deal with their star QB Trevor Lawrence. Sources says they are giving the former No. 1 pick a 5-year extension worth $275M — $55M a year — with $200M guaranteed and $142M fully.
On par with Burrow for a league high annual average contract. And I call major BS with that one. Burrow has been to the Superbowl in his short tenure and it was all on his shoulders, the entire season. And Burrow has consistently outplayed TL when he is healthy. I'm not saying TL isn't worth what he got paid. There are plenty of stupid contracts out there. I'm just saying if money is a measure of performance, Burrow is worth a lot more or TL a lot less. There is no parity here.
Seeking Superbowls