Official 2024 Draft Thread, All things Draft.

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Joe Bananas

Re: Official 2024 Draft Thread, All things Draft.

Post by Joe Bananas » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:57 pm

Nfl network saying Murphy might go top 10 :shock:
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:14 pm

this draft has "the next willie anderson at RT at pick 18" followed by "super reach for the DT version of drew sample" written all over it

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:03 pm

skycruiser wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:14 pm
this draft has "the next willie anderson at RT at pick 18" followed by "super reach for the DT version of drew sample" written all over it
Yup! I'm hoping we get Mims in the first I really like that kid and then we don't go DT in the second. I think we can get value later in the draft like a Hall Jr from Ohio State with a 3rd, or the kid from LSU or UC later in the draft. I really like the videos of that kid from UC.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:23 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote: I really like the videos of that kid from UC.
Rumor has it JoeB has videos of him in a thong...

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:45 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:03 pm
skycruiser wrote:
Yup! I'm hoping we get Mims in the first I really like that kid and then we don't go DT in the second. I think we can get value later in the draft like a Hall Jr from Ohio State with a 3rd, or the kid from LSU or UC later in the draft. I really like the videos of that kid from UC.
I watched very little of college football this year but did watch OSU and I would not touch Hall before the 4th round. He takes many plays off and could say he actually took most of the last season off just going through the motions. Or in other words a low energy guy.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:47 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:45 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
skycruiser wrote:
I watched very little of college football this year but did watch OSU and I would not touch Hall before the 4th round. He takes many plays off and could say he actually took most of the last season off just going through the motions. Or in other words a low energy guy.
I disagree with this, Hall didn't play many snaps. He only played 700 odd snaps over the last 2 years and I feel that is because of the rotations OSU had. I think he's a very good value in the late 3rd.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:24 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:47 pm
4256 Hits wrote:
MeatHeadbengal wrote:

I disagree with this, Hall didn't play many snaps. He only played 700 odd snaps over the last 2 years and I feel that is because of the rotations OSU had. I think he's a very good value in the late 3rd.
Last year 2 TFL and 1.5 sacks in 12 games. You could still stumble into that much production. On thing going for him is he is not yet 21 so if can mature and get motivated he has the talent to be a very good player.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:35 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:24 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:47 pm
4256 Hits wrote:

Last year 2 TFL and 1.5 sacks in 12 games. You could still stumble into that much production. On thing going for him is he is not yet 21 so if can mature and get motivated he has the talent to be a very good player.
https://youtu.be/98xtO-ZVM-U?si=uzqsNOfKW2L3vPEy

https://youtu.be/Ta7tqK6EBzs?si=dUzBNumupFwNO3b-

He just didn't have a lot of snaps, but when he was in there he did quite well.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:47 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:23 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote: I really like the videos of that kid from UC.
Rumor has it JoeB has videos of him in a thong...
Duh!
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:31 pm

Paul Dehner's realistic look at the Bengals Big Board
Last year’s exercise correctly predicted Myles Murphy at the top of the board of those available (second behind CB Deonte Banks) and the Day 3 selection of Andrei Iosivas.

Who could land in those spots again this year? Well, the process of pinpointing the first round involves compiling the most historically reliable, realistic mock drafts from our Dane Brugler, The Athletic beat reporter’s mock draft, ESPN’s Field Yates, as well as NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah and Peter Schrager. Any player taken in the top 14 picks in four of the five mocks is off the board for the Bengals.

That process eliminated four quarterbacks and eight position players.

Off the board: All quarterbacks, WR Marvin Harrison Jr., WR Malik Nabers, WR Rome Odunze, OT Joe Alt, OT Olu Fashanu, OL Taliese Fuaga, TE Brock Bowers and edge Dallas Turner.

Round 1 (pick 18)

DT Byron Murphy II, Texas. He would be a dream addition inside next to Sheldon Rankins and BJ Hill, with the potential to finally give Cincinnati the true game-wrecking three-technique that’s so scarce across the league. They’ve been searching since the prime of Geno Atkins.

OT JC Latham, Alabama. The most powerful human in the draft at a position where Cincinnati has prioritized power and size. Plus, proof of concept as a starter the last two years on the right side at Alabama. The safest of the realistic picks.

OL Troy Fautanu, Washington. The positional versatility, play style and impressive athleticism move him up the board as a fantastic weapon to deploy as needed over the next five seasons across any of the five spots.

OT Amarius Mims, Georgia. Giant, athletic and posted eight impressive starts at Georgia. The only problem is that he only posted eight impressive starts at Georgia. Every other box is checked.

Tier drop

Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo. A variable worth considering if it comes to this. Not necessarily a strong positional need, but the talent trumps all in this case.

Johnny Newton, DT, Illinois. Remember that conversation about a disruptive three-technique? All of that applies here, just without as much versatility or impact in the run game.

Terrion Arnold, CB, Alabama. Again, the talent and pedigree might be too good to pass up. The speed is concerning (4.50) knowing how much defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo has valued that at corner, but the tape shines.

Laiatu Latu, edge, UCLA. Of all the edge rushers expected to go in the first round, Latu fits the Anarumo profile best. He has never invested in smaller edges, but he could establish the long-term future of the position alongside Myles Murphy.

Tier drop

Graham Barton, OL, Duke. Not in the same conversation as the top tier, but worth discussing if the Bengals move back. Many of the same positives as Fautanu in the short term with extreme position versatility, but could end up the heir apparent to Ted Karras.

Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia. I still think he’s a clear WR4 on the Bengals’ board. Durability is the concern, but the route running, suddenness, awareness and playmaking would shine in cohesion with the anticipation and quick processing of Joe Burrow.

Round 2

Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida. A supercharged slot receiver who could line up outside as well, but instantly arrive and see his sure hands make an impact.

Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan. An elite separator with the speed to run away from corners down the field, he would bring explosiveness to the slot position. His awareness to find space and run away from defenders when the play breaks down, however, is what sells as a great fit with Burrow.

Ja’Lynn Polk, WR, Washington. Inside-outside versatility, tenacity and a selfless attitude are a part of his profile with the Huskies and part of why he makes a ton of sense for the Bengals. Chance to be the Tyler Boyd of 2024 and No. 2 receiver beyond.

Patrick Paul, OT, Houston. Weight and length fit right in with the Bengals’ monsters on the outside. He’s 6 feet 7 and 331 pounds, with arms nearly as long as Mims. Nowhere near the same prospect but they will like his traits.

Kris Jenkins, DT, Michigan. Another position the Bengals will track at all levels of the draft. Jenkins comes from NFL bloodlines with elite football character, from reports out of Ann Arbor.

Ruke Orhorhoro, DT, Clemson. It wouldn’t be odd for Cincinnati to tap into the Clemson pipeline again. They could reunite him with 2023 first-round pick Myles Murphy and see if his elite traits can be molded into more.

Maason Smith, DT, LSU. An ACL tear in 2022 and suspension are in his past, but if the Bengals are comfortable with the background, he’s as gifted as almost any defensive tackle and those are in short supply. Made a 30 visit early in the process.

Cooper Beebe, OL, Kansas State. A high-floor pick expected to get the most out of his potential, the two-time captain would fit the Bengals’ interior in size and power. His arm length isn’t ideal, but everything else checks out.

Mike Sainristil, CB, Michigan. A replica of Mike Hilton in all the best ways, but also checking in on the smaller side at 5-9, 182. His instincts are elite in the slot and he would be the starting slot in 2025 and high-end insurance policy for the 30-year-old Hilton this year.

Third round

Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame. If the Bengals don’t get a tackle in the first round they will be tracking this position all Friday. Fisher visited the Bengals and comes with a solid pedigree with 26 starts at right tackle for the Irish.

Roger Rosengarten, OT, Washington. Overshadowed by Fautanu, but made 28 starts for the Huskies and consistently found a way to get the job done. He would plug as a swing tackle for now with the potential to take over the job down the line.

Christian Mahogany, IOL, Boston College. One of many intriguing interior options at this point. He possesses the nastiness OL coach Frank Pollack loves and would fit the downhill gap scheme.

Jalen McMillan, WR, Washington. Came on a 30 visit and has a game eerily reminiscent of Tyler Boyd. Possibility to serve as a one-for-one replacement, but with more speed. Battled through injuries, but still made plays alongside teammates Rome Odunze and Polk.

Xavier Legette, WR, South Carolina. Older prospect, but his backstory and late breakout are unique. He brings comparisons to Deebo Samuel with his play style (and college) but that’s a best-case scenario. He still would be a fun weapon to add at this point.

Tez Walker, WR, North Carolina. More of an outside receiver, but plenty of potential and the hope would be development into an eventual replacement for Tee Higgins. He went through his share of issues with eligibility in college, but the flashes are notable.

Max Melton, CB, Rutgers. Flexibility to play inside and outside is a plus as well as his speed. Eight picks in the last three seasons will get the staff’s attention as well. Would be a snug fit behind DJ Turner on the depth chart at corner with an immediate contribution on special teams.

Brandon Dorlus, DT, Oregon. Impressive as a pass rusher. That’s a skill worth taking a shot at whenever the Bengals see fit. His Senior Bowl tape turned more than a few heads.

Mekhi Wingo, DT, LSU. Undersized but had freakish lower-body power with his natural leverage. One of the best run stoppers in college football, but how much would the size catch up to him in the AFC North? The Bengals just might be willing to find out.

Audric Estime, RB, Notre Dame. The end of Round 3 would be the first time Cincinnati even entertains running back and even then it’s unlikely. Still, the Bengals lost a big-body back in Joe Mixon and would love to have that option.

Day 3

T’Vondre Sweat, DT, Florida State. How far will he fall? Anyone’s guess for Texas’ massive run stopper. He already had weight and motivation issues in his profile then got a DWI three weeks before the draft. I could see the Bengals consider taking a swing considering they have six picks on Day 3.

Kristian Boyd, DT, Northern Iowa. Cincinnati will be hunting all the massive defensive tackles at this point and Boyd is another. They need somebody who can fill Josh Tupou’s role or a small piece of what DJ Reader provided in filling space against the run.

McKinnley Jackson, DT, Texas A&M. See above. He has the size and power they desperately need on the roster.

Dallin Holker, TE, Colorado State. The Bengals will choose a tight end to take over the fourth spot in that room at some point. They sent TEs coach James Casey to Colorado State to watch Holker, who is more in the pass-catching mold like Tanner Hudson than a blocker like Drew Sample.

Tip Reiman, TE, Illinois. Phenomenal athlete more in the blocking mold than pass receiving, but that’s more what they need as a backup for Sample right now. He could develop into much more.

Jaylan Ford, LB, Texas. Not the best athlete but his instincts will attract the Bengals. They will add a linebacker at some point and Ford with six picks, four forced fumbles and 220 tackles the past two years is as good as any.

Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington. Bigger body and a knack for finding yards in traffic for the Huskies. Comfort catching the ball out of the backfield (173 receptions) makes him attractive to the Bengals.

Zak Zinter, IOL, Michigan. Nothing wrong with projecting Wolverines to the Bengals and the interior offensive line will continue to be on the mind if they don’t find a player on Thursday or Friday.

Luke McCaffrey, WR, Rice. Certainly possible to see a high-upside receiver selection and McCaffrey would qualify. He’s among a large group as everyone looks for their version of Puka Nacua late in the draft.

Decamerion Richardson, CB, Mississippi State. All the physical traits you could want with speed and length for days. Just needs to be developed and why he would still be available.