Official 2024 Draft Thread, All things Draft.

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
skycruiser

Re: Official 2024 Draft Thread, All things Draft.

Post by skycruiser » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:06 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:55 pm
Bengals1 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:44 pm
skycruiser wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:20 am
Marcus Mosher
I think it's worth noting that Dane Brugler has Texas DT T'Vondre Sweat graded as a fourth-round player.

"Party animal" and "class clown" were the words to describe him.

take him off the board completely
You mean, "Sounds like perfect Bengal material." :roll:
We now know who the Bengals are taking round 2.
man ya'll are still living in the marvin lewis era. name a player in the last few years under Zac that fits the criminal mold of Marv?

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:10 pm

skycruiser wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:06 pm
man ya'll are still living in the marvin lewis era. name a player in the last few years under Zac that fits the criminal mold of Marv?
I don't think it was Marv Cruiser, I think it's been pretty much established that it is/was SoP who loved the reclamation projects.

Marv has said he and SoP clashed on draft picks frequently while he was HC.

And bear in mind......SoP is still the owner. :twisted: (cue dramatic music)

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:57 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:10 pm
But he's not running the show anymore. His daughter is!

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:51 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:57 pm
Bengals1 wrote:
I believe he still keeps a hand in things.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:21 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:51 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Bengals1 wrote:
That may be but Sky's got a point. This isn't the same old Bengals and they've proven that over the past 4 years.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:41 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:21 pm
Bengals1 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:51 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:

That may be but Sky's got a point. This isn't the same old Bengals and they've proven that over the past 4 years.
Two things can be true at the same time.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:35 pm

2024 NFL Draft: Biggest Strengths of Top OLs and Best Team Fits to Maximize Potential

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/101 ... -potential

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:57 pm

Fantastic stuff as always from Dehner. He makes the few bucks a month for the athletic well worth it

Bengals trends and ‘The Beast’ 2024 NFL Draft guide: Prospect profiles who fit in Cincinnati
HOUSTON, TX - JANUARY 08: Washington Huskies wide receiver Ja'Lynn Polk (2) runs with the ball after a catch against Michigan Wolverines defensive back Mike Sainristil (0) during the CFP National Championship on January 08, 2024 at NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
By Paul Dehner Jr.
Apr 12, 2024
Save Article
Entering the sixth draft of the Zac Taylor era, the sample size has grown and culture is established enough to pinpoint players who look like Cincinnati Bengals before ever entering the NFL.

A player who has been around for years would start with the phrase plastered on the wall and regurgitated often this time of year at Paycor Stadium defining what a Bengals player must be: A Physical, Hungry, Accountable Teammate.

There are tells in finding players predisposed to embody those traits. Scouts scour schools tirelessly for them. Dane Brugler’s “The Beast” is filled with them.

go-deeper
GO DEEPER
NFL Draft 2024 ‘The Beast’ Guide: Dane Brugler’s scouting reports and player rankings
Personality and mentality notes are a large part of what makes Brugler’s epic milepost of draft season shine brighter than any other. It also spotlights players you could already hear Bengals coaches gushing over at the post-pick news conference.

This isn’t all about loving ball and having that dog in you. There are physical traits to each position defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo has been drawn toward. The same for offensive playmakers, with a wild card of new offensive coordinator Dan Pitcher growing a louder voice this season. The personnel staff led by Duke Tobin and director of college scouting Mike Potts has stayed largely the same throughout these five drafts, and their tendencies are known.

Scoop City Newsletter
Scoop City Newsletter
Free, daily NFL updates direct to your inbox. Sign up

My goal here is to connect the exhaustive details in “The Beast” with the Bengals’ tendencies to uncover more than a few (hopefully new) names to consider in the draft process, round by round.

First, let’s offer a nutshell version of the trends to track:

• Team captain
• Played through injury
• Never missed a practice
• Loyalty as a teammate
• Relentless motor on defense
• Elite secondary speed
• Big programs with big performances in the biggest games
• Michigan, Clemson, SEC
• Massive offensive tackles and offensive line “glass eaters”
• Bigger receivers, willing blockers
• Resistance to early tight ends and running backs
• Minimal injury history
• One of the 30 private visits

ADVERTISEMENT

These leans aren’t unique to the Bengals, but these are areas where they have shown the heaviest lean and the most reluctance to stray away. Let’s dive into “The Beast” for one offensive and one defensive fit for each of the first four selections.

Round 1 (No. 18)

Taliese Fuaga, RT, Oregon State

Boxes checked: Hulking OT (6-foot-6, 324 pounds), 25 consecutive starts at right tackle, All-American, captain, beloved teammate, noted for glass-eating mean streak, 30 visit.

“The Beast” nugget: Voted a team captain in 2023 and his coaches describe him as “accountable” and “loyal” (he had offers to transfer to bigger programs in both high school and college but wanted to be part of the building process where he was).

Analysis: Not quite as hulking as Georgia’s Amarius Mims or Alabama’s JC Latham (almost impossible to be), but still a massive, powerful frame on the edge. More importantly, all the personality traits offensive line coach Frank Pollack desires jump off Brugler’s report. His consistency, power, health and tenacity (with a dash of position flexibility) certainly check the Bengals’ boxes.

Brugler ranking: First round, 17th

go-deeper
GO DEEPER
Bengals NFL Draft big board 1.0: Trenches dominate Round 1 wish list
Byron Murphy II, DT, Texas

Boxes checked: Elite win rate, leadership, relentless motor, big school, big games, dedicated.

“The Beast” nugget: Texas coaches say he found more of a leadership voice in 2023 and served as a team captain for four games … plays hard with terrific secondary effort … member of Bruce Feldman’s “Freaks List” for his impressive weight-room feats (455-pound front squat, 375-pound power clean).

Analysis: On top of one of the most disruptive seasons by a defensive tackle in recent college football history (19.6 percent win rate), his dedication as a student (three-year honor roll), in the weight room and with effort on the field shows he can turn Freaks List into NFL star. The fact coaches saw him becoming a leader as the year progressed speaks to his football personality checking every Bengals box; certainly, his play on the field did.

Brugler ranking: First round, 16th

Round 2 (No. 49)

Mike Sainristil, CB, Michigan

Boxes Checked: Michigan, captain (2x), beloved teammate, big program, big games, ballhawk.

“The Beast” nugget: Three interception returns of 70-plus yards (72, 71, 81) in 2023, including two pick sixes (nickname growing up was “Sweetness”) … two-time team captain and described as a “player-coach” and “influencer” by the Michigan coaching staff (from Michigan defensive backs coach Steve Clinkscale: “Mike has changed the mindset of everybody on our team. … He’s easy to be drawn to.”)

ADVERTISEMENT

Analysis: If wondering what the Bengals might do when Mike Hilton’s contract expires following this season, well, Sainristil is an exact replica. His instincts, leadership, tackling and knack for the ball (converted WR) at Michigan are eerily similar. Plus, it would mark a third straight year selecting a Wolverines defensive back in the first two rounds (and the fifth Wolverines player since 2021).

Brugler ranking: Second round, 43rd

Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan

Boxes checked: Elite separation, QB friendliness, winning program, Michigan, big plays in big games, competitiveness.

“The Beast” nugget: Strong hand-eye coordination and, unlike most smaller receivers, catches the ball with his hands before it reaches his body (only one drop on 67 targets in 2023) … plays with an edge and shows terrific compete skills as a blocker and at the catch point (see 2023 Nebraska tape) … has been working with a speed trainer since middle school, and his coaches say the desire to be great is “ingrained” in him.

Analysis: Wilson might be a touch smaller than the Bengals prefer at 5-11 and 185 pounds, but most other aspects check out. Plays made on the road to the national championship are the types the team could fixate on. In the search for explosiveness and reliability, he dropped only one pass last year, and 79.2 percent of his receptions went for a first down or touchdown. Also, he could follow the Michigan trend.

Brugler rank: Second round, 41st

go-deeper
GO DEEPER
How the Bengals will hunt wide receivers in NFL Draft
Round 3 (Nos. 80 and 97)

Ja’Lynn Polk, WR, Washington

Boxes checked: Toughness, tenacious blocker, size, position versatility, winning program, big performance in big games.

“The Beast” nugget: You’ll love his mentality as a blocker (had several key blocks on Rome Odunze’s punt return touchdown against Cal in 2023) … Washington coaching staff speaks highly of his work ethic and daily approach, in both practices and games (head coach Kalen DeBoer: “J.P. is one of the toughest and strongest kids we have on the football team.”)

ADVERTISEMENT

Analysis: At 6-1, 203 pounds, Polk comes with enough size to meet Cincinnati’s preferred measurables and adds to that with toughness. He had five receptions for 122 yards and a touchdown in the national semifinal win against Texas and had zero issue playing hard alongside a star No. 1 for the Huskies. Could see how the Bengals would like the background and package Polk brings to the table.

Brugler ranking: Third round, 74th

Mekhi Wingo, DT, LSU

Boxes checked: Captain, work ethic, big program, loyal teammate, relentless motor, powerful.

“The Beast” nugget: Very competitive and his effort pops on tape … team captain and his coaches rave about his work/practice habits (his work ethic earned him the 2022 “Iron Tiger” Award) … instead of packing it in and preparing for the NFL Draft, he rehabbed his “ass off” to return for LSU’s 2023 bowl game (Wingo: “I’m a captain of this team and I feel like I owed it to these guys.”).

Analysis: Adding to the defensive tackle room will be a priority, and Wingo’s makeup would connect in a big way. His squatty stature (6-0, 284) plays a role in him being around later, but this is the same franchise that hit on stouter Geno Atkins (6-1, 293) and Andrew Billings (6-1, 311) in this same range. His play style fits Anarumo, who could find a role to augment his strengths.

Brugler ranking: Third-fourth, 95th

Play: Video

Christian Mahogany, OG, Boston College

Boxes checked: Size, nastiness, toughness, captain, loyal teammate.

“The Beast” nugget: Prior to the 2023 season, he was recruited by other programs with the opportunity to earn significant name, image and likeness money as a transfer, but he stayed loyal to Boston College — just like Zay Flowers had the year before (Mahogany: “Why would I leave just to be a six-month rental when I could just build something special here?”) … Boston College coaches call him the “tone-setter” of the offense and praise his maturity to compartmentalize and work through adversity … twice voted a team captain by his teammates … he plays like a bouncer outside of a club, looking to bash heads with power and forceful hands. He projects as a guard-versatile NFL starter, ideally suited for a downhill run team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Analysis: The Bengals are looking for the future at guard and an invested current backup. Mahogany would certainly fit the profile, and though he’s shorter at 6-3 than nearly everyone the Bengals have invested in lately, his power, tenacity and personality would make him a natural fit.

Brugler ranking: Third-fourth round, 99th

Day 3

Tip Reiman, TE, Illinois

Boxes checked: Captain, loyal teammate, mature, loves ball, late physical traits TE.

“The Beast” nugget: He and his wife (Maddy) married in March 2022. Maddy was on the diving team at Illinois (2018-22) and now coaches. Reiman is a three-time Academic All-Big Ten honoree … (NFL scout: “The coaches say his ‘give-a-s—’ factor is off the charts.”) … voted a senior captain, and coaches said he never complained about his on-field role (Reiman: “In my flesh, of course, I wish I got the ball more, but I understand my role and all I want is to help the team win.”).

Analysis: An elite athlete running a 4.64 40 at 6-5, 271 pounds, he has room for development without a need to contribute immediately. But maturity, loving football, dirty work and being obsessed with being a good teammate are littered all over Brugler’s report. Plus, he’s the gritty, self-made type who would have a real chance to mesh with TE coach James Casey.

Brugler: Fourth-fifth round

Decamerion Richardson, CB, Mississippi State

Boxes checked: Speed (4.34), length (32 3/8 arms), tackling, special teams.

“The Beast” nugget: Outstanding run defender, with the mentality and play strength to finish ball carriers to the ground (misses are rare for him) … elite 40-yard dash (4.34 seconds), “flying 20” (1.79) and set the 100-meter record (10.75) at Bossier High.

Analysis: The Bengals will be searching for specific traits to build on with a Day 3 pick, and Anaurmo has professed speed and length to be his two most desired at corner. Richardson brings both. Toss in a willingness to tackle in space and a history of playing well on special teams — important for any late-round CB they select — and the team can work around the shortcomings.

Brugler ranking: Fourth-fifth round

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:51 am

Check out the member's only section if you don't already.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:52 pm

My mock. This is sort of a Bengals one. I'll do one that I want if I was picking.

18 – Amarius Mims OT – Georgia
Think they consider others, obviously. But they love him. They would have taken Fuaga, but he was gone
Mims was one of 3 players the bengals met with at combine, pro day and used for one of their official visits

49 – T’Vondre Sweat DT - Texas
The DUI doesn’t bother them. A DUI to the Bengals is like us having an overdue library book
Mims was one of three players I listed earlier, Sweat was the second one

80 – Erick All TE – Iowa
They love him. Talked to him at combine, pro day and was one of 30 visits they had come in
Mims, Sweat and All were the only 3 players to meet with team at combine, pro day and official visit

97 – Audric Estime RB – Notre Dame
For me, these last 2 picks were early, but if the Bengals want you and zero in on you then it doesn’t matter
We need a blaster – this guys it

115 – Jacob Cowing WR _ Arizona
Bengals attended his pro day

149 – Maason Smith DT – LSU
Big dude 6’6 315. If wasn’t for an injury he’d be first round material

194 – Daijahn Anthony S- Ole Miss
Can play slot, box and deep. Good size, 6’0 205. Has played a ton of snaps for the Rebels

214 – Daequan Hardy CB – Penn State
Played every spot in the backfield imaginable and the Bengals love the versatile players

224 – Brennan Jackson ED- Washington State
Good size, 6’4 265. Had 9 sacks this past year and 7 the previous year

237 – Joshua Cephus WR – UTSA
6’3 185 and had over 1100 yards rec this past season and 10 TDS
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.