Official 2024 Draft Thread, All things Draft.

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

Re: Official 2024 Draft Thread, All things Draft.

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:35 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:12 pm
I see your point but the Bengals D was one of the worst in the league last year and if it doesn't improve no way headed back to SB. Plus I have zero faith in the Bengals to draft an above average OL let alone a pro-bowl level one.
I will counter by pointing out a lot of the defensive woes were caused by injury ( Cam Taylor-Britt, DJ Reader, DJ Ivey etc
..) than by poor play.

And what the D-line really needs at this point is a run stuffer, a space eater. That type of player can be had in the 2nd.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:56 pm

T'Vondre Sweat, former Texas Longhorns DL, arrested, faces DWI charge. #Tvondre #Sweat #UTfootball

Sweet! Maybe he’ll be there in the 2nd

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:53 am

skycruiser wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:56 pm
T'Vondre Sweat, former Texas Longhorns DL, arrested, faces DWI charge. #Tvondre #Sweat #UTfootball

Sweet! Maybe he’ll be there in the 2nd
More than likely we'll now trade Higgens and our 1st and 2nd to move up to get him... :roll:

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:50 pm

When Free Agency started I was torn over whether I wanted a DT or RT at #18. But as we grow closer to the draft my feelings have coalesced and come in to better focus.

Keeping Joe Glass upright has got to be priority 1....period.

Our need at DT is for a run stopper, a space eater to clog up running lanes. That type of DT can be had in round 2.

Therefore, I'm fully endorsing the idea of taking the best RT still on the board at 18. Despite our checkered history of poor O-line picks in higher rounds, the need to protect Burrow out weighs any other consideration imo.

The guy out of Oregon State or the guy out of Bama, I'd be happy with either.

So let it be posted....so let it be done!

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:54 am

I agree B1. Even if we get the 5th best tackle, that guy would be the #1 in most years. sign me up for the dude from Oregon state or the kid from washington. both have versitility and willingness to play multiple spots on the line and could start right away

if they trade back i'd be cool with newton, but ideally you come out with a top tackle

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:58 am

skycruiser wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:54 am
I agree B1. Even if we get the 5th best tackle, that guy would be the #1 in most years. sign me up for the dude from Oregon state or the kid from washington. both have versitility and willingness to play multiple spots on the line and could start right away

mims is a project and we haven't done well with those types. the kid from penn state got abused by ohio state and doesn't feel as polished as the top group. and man...our record with bama OL hasn't been great either so i'm not in love with JC for that reason

if they trade back i'd be cool with newton, but ideally you come out with a top tackle

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:10 pm

Top 5 O-line Prospects per PFF...

1. T JOE ALT, NOTRE DAME
PFF BIG BOARD RANK: 5
The NFL draft is all about finding players with size, speed and strength who have the IQ to use those traits optimally. That's Joe Alt, and that should spell a top-10 selection as a future long-term tackle.

2. T TALIESE FUAGA, OREGON STATE
PFF BIG BOARD RANK: 12
Ultimately, Fuaga's tape is that of a starting NFL offensive lineman, whether that is at tackle or guard. He brings the powerful mentality needed to stand out in the trenches. I believe he has the adequate length and foot speed, good offensive line IQ and elite strength to succeed at tackle and get a shot there as a first-round pick.

3. T TROY FAUTANU, WASHINGTON
PFF BIG BOARD RANK: 13
Fautanu is a true athlete of an offensive lineman with starting-caliber traits for center or guard. His movement skills would be a big plus in a zone-blocking scheme.

4. T OLUMUYIWA FASHANU, PENN STATE
PFF BIG BOARD RANK: 18
Fashanu is not only incredibly talented but will also be one of the youngest prospects in the 2024 class. He is the type of athlete in the trenches you draft in the first round, even if he needs to get stronger to live up to his very high potential.

5. T JC LATHAM, ALABAMA
PFF BIG BOARD RANK: 21
Latham is in the mold of an offensive lineman who does not come around often. He will be just 21 years old during his rookie season, yet he has two years of starting experience in the SEC. Despite garnering 18 penalties over the past two years and having room to improve in some anticipation parts of the position, Latham is a first-round trench player due to his rare combination of size, speed and refinement.

----------------------------

I've noticed some boards have Fashanu out of Ped State higher, some as high as #2. Most likely he's all over the board due to his youth and raw potential. But overall, these are pretty much the consensus top 5 prospects. Its hard to believe one of them won't be there when we come around at 18.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:20 am

Marcus Mosher
I think it's worth noting that Dane Brugler has Texas DT T'Vondre Sweat graded as a fourth-round player.

"Party animal" and "class clown" were the words to describe him.

take him off the board completely

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:44 pm

skycruiser wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:20 am
Marcus Mosher
I think it's worth noting that Dane Brugler has Texas DT T'Vondre Sweat graded as a fourth-round player.

You mean, "Sounds like perfect Bengal material." :roll:

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:55 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:44 pm
skycruiser wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:20 am
Marcus Mosher

You mean, "Sounds like perfect Bengal material." :roll:
We now know who the Bengals are taking round 2.