Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Joe Bananas

Re: General Free Agency News & Chatter.

Post by Joe Bananas » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:51 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:23 am
Joe Bananas wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:15 am
Think they're kicking the tires on Becton because he had his best year under Pollack.
He's also huge, 6'-7" 363lbs. Which is something that excites JoeB judging by his recent posts. ;)
The bigger the better 😀
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:40 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:23 am
Joe Bananas wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:15 am
Think they're kicking the tires on Becton because he had his best year under Pollack.
He's also huge, 6'-7" 363lbs. Which is something that excites JoeB judging by his recent posts. ;)
I think this is really smart on the Bengals to get every position of need in FA. Is Becton the end all be all, no probably no however he is a short term answer. This frees us up 100% to be able to take the best player available at every level of the draft. I'd much rather be in that position then needing to draft a RT we don't necessarily think is the best on the board at 18 and reach.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:50 am

I think Becton has always been the guy. For better or worse, he has a history with Frank Pollack, he's young, and he's big. He can develop.

My concern is that we are not so good at developing Offensive Linemen. We are much better at bringing in Linemen that are already developed.

I'm fine with giving him a shot, I'd just rather have somebody like Trent Brown in there for a year while he's developing. I don't see them signing both though, so let's hope for the best.

It is worth noting that he had a much higher PFF Grade in 2021 before he had the knee injury missing all but one game of the 2022 season. So maybe with a year under his belt, he can improve upon last year.

This paragraph from an article about Becton with the Jets worries me a little.
Then there was the tweet. Becton, working at right tackle early on to accommodate left tackle Duane Brown tweeted to his followers “I. AM. A. LEFT. TACKLE.”, which could not have gone down well with a team that was trying to get Becton on the other side.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:26 am

I don't want to give him a massive contract though with his stats from last year.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:57 am

Vonn Bell officially back. so we got a 6th rounder for losing him, get him back, and carolina is paying almost all his salary

i can't believe this happened FOR the bengals and not TO the bengals

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:28 am

I'm with Meat on this one. Although Becton grades out about even with Williams, it gives us the luxury of taking a true RT at #18 but relieves us of the pressure of playing him right away.

And if by some miracle, a better player at DT or TE etc... is sitting there unexpectedly at 18, we can go in that direction and pick up a RT later in the draft.

We'll see how it all shakes out...

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:31 am

BENGALS TALK 🗣 @BengalsTalk
CIN - FA (so far)

➖
CB Chidobe Awuzie (TEN)
RB Joe Mixon (HOU via trade)
TE Irv Smith (KC)
OT Jonah Williams (AZ)

➕
S Geno Stone (BAL) - 2 yr deal
RB Zack Moss (IND) - 2 yr deal
TE Mike Gesicki (NE) - 1 yr deal
DT Sheldon Rankins (HOU) - 2 yr deal
S Vonn Bell (CAR) - 1 yr deal

Re-signed:

WR Tee Higgins 🏷️
TE Drew "Junior" Samples (3 yr)
RB Trayveon Williams (1 yr)
G Cody Ford (1 yr)
LB Akeem Davis-Gaither (1 yr)

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:50 am

Mixon/Moss is questionable, but as a whole our plusses are definitely outweighing our minuses.

Tee Higgins is obviously still a question mark, but at this point I'm pretty happy.

It's already been said, but I like the idea of not needing to focus on one position of desperate need in the first round. We can go with whatever position available makes our team the most better.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:43 pm

Jmble wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:50 am
It's already been said, but I like the idea of not needing to focus on one position of desperate need in the first round. We can go with whatever position available makes our team the most better.
Remember, Becton (nor any other Tackle) hasn't signed yet.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:43 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:43 pm
Jmble wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:50 am
Remember, Becton (nor any other Tackle) hasn't signed yet.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm aware. I said I like the idea of it. I didn't say it was a reality yet.