Official 2024 Draft Thread, All things Draft.

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
MeatHeadbengal

Re: Official 2024 Draft Thread, All things Draft.

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:28 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:02 pm
Tee Higgins - too expensive, will sign with another team (Please don't let it be the Chiefs! :x )
They'll tag him, it's almost a forgone conclusion at this point!

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:51 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:28 am
Bengals1 wrote:
Tee Higgins - too expensive, will sign with another team (Please don't let it be the Chiefs! :x )
They'll tag him, it's almost a forgone conclusion at this point!
That would be expensive too.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:52 am

Joe the Sot wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:23 am
Welcome back B1 agree with all your points but can also see Boyd gone, also Mixon unlikely to return too.
I suspect they'll cut Chris Evans and keep Mixon. They never really figured out what to do with Evans.

But yeah, they'll be in the market for another RB either way.

Exile

Post by Exile » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:27 am

Bengals1 wrote:
The problem with this upcoming draft is that out of necessity, its going to be a draft of replacement rather than enhancement. By that I mean, we're going to be spending our first handful of picks on replacing players we've lost rather than adding players we could use to improve the team. This is largely going to be a status quo off-season I'm afraid.

By my calculation, here are the starting players I expect we won't see back in 2024...

Jonah Williams - ex-first round pick who will expect first round money. Even if he never earned it. Bengals won't pay it. (nor should they)
DJ Reader - his injury towards the end of the season might mean he'll resign on the cheap or it might not. Even if he resigns, his late season injury means he might not be 100% at the start of next season. Another DT will need to be found.
Chidobe Awuzi - Lost a step after his last injury. Might resign if he'll agree to incentive heavy contract. Most likely he'll walk.
Drew "Junior" Sample - former 2nd round pick who never lived up to his draft place. Will no doubt want 2nd round money. Bengals won't pay it. (nor should they)

I expect the club to go hard to resign Boyd and Hudson. I can't see them letting Boyd and Higgins go in the same off-season and Boyd should come cheaper. Hudson fills the need for a decent if unspectacular starting TE.

I hope they sign a RT in Free Agency and possible even replace Pollack. Our history of drafting O-lineman high is not good. :roll: Plus, I don't want to enter the season with a rookie RT protecting Joe Glass. That's a recipe for disaster. With all that being said (or written as it were...) I suspect they will use our first three picks in the upcoming draft to try and fill DT, WR and CB.

I'm sure its too much to hope Zac relinquishes the play calling duties next season. But he should.... :x

Joe said he expects Tee back. Idk if that's franchise tag, though that seems likely. But Joe usually gets what he wants around here...

Agreed on Williams. He was fine, all in all very happy both with the way he sucked it up moving to RT and with his play, but he's likely to want more than he's really worth, and as hard as it is to find even average linemen, someone else will pay him. But we'll also need to pay someone. Like you, don't like the idea of a rookie there even if we do draft one.

I would expect Reader and Awuzie to both be gone. I hope we make a big signing at DT. Feel okay about our corners without Awuzie.

Tight end is crazy--we have nobody signed right now, right? I could see them bringing back Hudson, he was... fine. Doesn't feel like a real starter. Time to draft one?

We could definitely draft a DT. Not as sure that we draft a receiver--both because I think they keep Tee and because we just drafted Jones and Iosivas. Not sure either is going to pan out as a starter, but who knows. It's a deep class for receivers though, so I wouldn't be surprised if we do go that direction.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:50 am

Exile wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:27 am
We could definitely draft a DT. Not as sure that we draft a receiver--both because I think they keep Tee and because we just drafted Jones and Iosivas. Not sure either is going to pan out as a starter, but who knows. It's a deep class for receivers though, so I wouldn't be surprised if we do go that direction.
Yeah, my post was mostly focusing on the first three rounds. I've always held to the belief that you use the first three rounds to find starters, either replacements or additions, and the latter four rounds for depth.

So I could see them tagging Higgins and taking a DT in the first, a CB in the second and a TE in the third. Then snapping up O-line help, RB and WR in the later rounds. That's assuming they sign a RT in Free Agency.

According to Spotrac, we're projected to have $70mil in cap space to play with. I do not know if this is including any increase that's expected in the cap this coming season. I assume it does not since that hasn't been announced yet.

Does anyone know if we're due any compensatory picks and if so, where they fall...?

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:14 pm

From SI.com ....

CINCINNATI — Over The Cap's Nick Korte released compensation pick projections for each NFL team as free agency enters the dog days.

Cincinnati will have two comp picks from the loss of safety Vonn Bell (fifth-round pick) and tight end Hayden Hurst (sixth-round pick).

Korte confirmed the Bengals will not receive a third-round comp pick for the loss of Jessie Bates III because Orlando Brown Jr. was an equal signing to Bates.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:13 pm

The more Qbs that come out the more a player will fall to us. I mean top 6 or 7 picks gonna be qbs ans WRs, if not more. Or atleast 6 or 7 qbs or wrs go top 10. That only leaves I picks or so before we pick.

Harrison
D Maye
C Williams
J Daniel's
M Nabors
R Odunze
M Penix
B Nix [possibly]

That's 8 that's going top 10 or 12.

I say Alt [OT], Brower [TE], and maybe someone or 2 that sneaks in due to great combine then gonna be our pick before you know it.

I honestly see us trading down, especially if there are a few edge rushers, couple of OTs and maybe a CB or two there.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:39 pm

PFF Projects Contracts For Five Bengals Among Top 100 NFL Free Agents

Cincinnati has some financial balls to juggle this offseason.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbenga ... ree-agents

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:03 am

My personal thoughts on this offseason are the following on our top 5 FA's, thanks for the article B1 good read.

Tee Higgins - I say we franchise tag him but them offer him up on trade for a team that wants a true #1 WR. I think there are teams out there willing to give up draft capital for him and we get value verses us Tagging him this year and letting him walk next.

DJ Reader - I really think he's going to be a late FA resign and he shouldn't command top dollar because of his age or injury. I do think we try and work out a deal with him for a good amount and keep him here, he's one of if not the best player at his position still.

Chidobe Awuzie - He was not very good this year and I think we let him walk. I think there should be other options out there at CB we can bring in.

Jonah Williams - I'd like to see us resign him knowing our lack of being able to develop guys in the draft, unless we really think we can get a guy in the draft. If we do get a guy in the draft I want someone that actually tests at the combine. We've done a lot of drafting at the O-line position with guys that didn't test at the combine, but not only test. I want to guy that tests extremely well at the combine, I want an athlete.

Tyler Boyd - I saw we resign him, I think he's one of the key pieces in that WR room that keep everyone level headed. He to me is what Hines Ward was in Shitsburg. He's the guy that leads and keeps all the ego's at bay, and with the talent in that room we should be ok with keeping him and losing Higgins and finding someone else in the draft (later rounds) to pick up some slack.

That's what I think about the guys we have heading into FA. I really do hope we can get a some value for these guys and not just a compensatory pick here or there, in a draft that doesn't effect this year.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:27 pm

Below are the projected contracts. I am not sure I would want the Bengals to pay this much for any of them.
Would like to see Reader back but at his age coming off injury that is too much guaranteed money.
Awuzie was not even close to the player from two years ago and his play was one of the reasons the D sucked so badly last year. He was a great FA signing but time for him to move on.
I know OL are in demand but Williams was not that good but maybe that is the going rate for a not to good OT.
Boyd has been a nice player but can be replaced by other players on roster so money can be spent better elsewhere plus he is getting up in age.
On Higgins I agree to tag him but try to trade him for a 1st round pick. This year he seemed like he was ready to leave and be a #1 WR not play 2nd fiddle.

DJ Reader at No. 19 with a three-year, $45.75 million contract projection ($15.25 million per year), $29.75 million total guaranteed.

Chidobe Awuzie checked in at No. 26 with a two-year, $23 million contract projection ($11.5 million per year), $13.75 million total guaranteed.

Jonah Williams at No. 54 with a four-year, $64 million contract projection ($16 million per year), $40 million total guaranteed.

Tyler Boyd at No. 74 with a two-year, $17.5 million contract projection ($8.75 million per year), $10.75 million total guaranteed.