Bengal vs Texans Game Day Thread

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

Re: Bengal vs Texans Game Day Thread

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:11 pm

Btw: how did Myles Murphy do? Our vaunted 1st round pick...?

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:42 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:11 pm
Who? Lol

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:45 am

skycruiser wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:42 am
Bengals1 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:11 pm
Who? Lol
Right. Seems like it's everyother year we pick a dud. First round worked out one year and a dude the next - seems the same old story for this team.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:08 am

To be fair:

-had Boyd caught the TD we’d be talking about a resilient come back win and burrow overcoming 2 INTs in the 4th quarter
-if you’d have told us at the bye we’d come out of SF, Buf, and Hou 2-1, you’d prolly have been happy about it

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:50 pm

skycruiser wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:08 am
To be fair:

-had Boyd caught the TD we’d be talking about a resilient come back win and burrow overcoming 2 INTs in the 4th quarter
-if you’d have told us at the bye we’d come out of SF, Buf, and Hou 2-1, you’d prolly have been happy about it
This is a fair point however, not to sound too much like Pessimistincarolina, but it's also fair to point out it was their own poor play that put them into a position where Boyd's catch/non-catch was crucial to winning the game.

Too many 3-and outs in the first half. After the initial TD drive our offense couldn't do squat.

In the second half our defense, especially our defensive backfield, gave up waaaaay too many big plays. And often at crucial times when we desperately needed a stop.

Our O-line once again couldn't handle the other teams aggressive D-line. Despite all the money and effort thrown at it our O-line remains mediocre at best.

Our 1st round pick is quickly sliding into Bust territory. This upcoming game Thursday at Baltimore is going to be a make or break game for him I'm afraid. If you had to bet $100 on how he does where would you place your money...?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

These issues are even more aggravating due to our total lack of movement at the trade deadline. We could have used a starting caliber TE and/or another starter quality O-lineman.

We got neither.

I know we're up against the cap. I know nobody likes the idea of trading Higgins. But our chances of re-signing him in the offseason are about nil. If we’d traded him for a starting O-lineman and given up a 4th or even 3rd round pick next year for a pass-catching TE how much better would you feel about our chances going forward right now?

Yeah, that's what I thought. 8-)

orange_black

Post by orange_black » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:58 pm

another thing nobody is talking about.

the last play before Houston's field goal.... whoever caught that pass got an additional 10 yards because our defense was trying to strip the ball instaed of making the tackle.

wonder what woudl have happened if that FG was 10 yards further...

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:05 pm

orange_black wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:58 pm

the last play before Houston's field goal.... whoever caught that pass got an additional 10 yards because our defense was trying to strip the ball instaed of making the tackle.

That’s a great point. Instead of tackling Pratt tried to strip and put them in chip shot ranfe

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:10 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:50 pm
Our 1st round pick is quickly sliding into Bust territory. This upcoming game Thursday at Baltimore is going to be a make or break game for him I'm afraid. If you had to bet $100 on how he does where would you place your money...?
It's way too early for that kind of talk honestly.

I've seen him out there but he's had limited action this season. He's got a pretty good power rush and a high motor, I've seen a hit or two when he's in there and been like "damn that's a truck". He's just had very limited action at this point. I'm not going to judge until much later on him honestly, and you should probably do that same.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:10 pm

skycruiser wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:05 pm
orange_black wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:58 pm

That’s a great point. Instead of tackling Pratt tried to strip and put them in chip shot ranfe
Do you blame him though? He's done it so many times in key situations.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:14 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:10 pm
Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:50 pm
It's way too early for that kind of talk honestly.

I've seen him out there but he's had limited action this season. He's got a pretty good power rush and a high motor, I've seen a hit or two when he's in there and been like "damn that's a truck". He's just had very limited action at this point. I'm not going to judge until much later on him honestly, and you should probably do that same.
Unless the reason he's "limited in action" is because he's not showing anything in practice. I said he's sliding, I didn't say he's there yet.

Yet.