Bengals at the Bye. Thoughts....?

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

Bengals at the Bye. Thoughts....?

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:45 pm

It goes without saying we're all happy to be 3-3 right now, especially with the way the season began. This bye appears to be coming at just the right time too. Burrow needs time to heal further and the next group of games on the schedule present a tough stretch.

With all that being said, there are issues, both obvious and subtle, confronting the team....

The O-line is still not playing well. Once again the players we bought are much better than the ones we drafted. Hopefully, Brown's groin injury isn't serious. There's no margin for error with this group.

Despite receiving massive criticism and even acknowledging it's a problem, Zac still abandons the run game much too quickly.

Our defense plays lights out in the Red Zone. Between the 20's its a seive. Why are we able to stop the run, affect the opposing QB and defend WRs near the goal line but out at midfield we look like a Chinese fire drill?

Thoughts...?

MeatHeadbengal

Re: Bengals at the Bye. Thoughts....?

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:01 pm

I thought this was a very insightful video.

https://youtu.be/FeegDFTHy6A?si=6Y2DvZi6AYCiqJA6

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:20 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:01 pm
I thought this was a very insightful video.

https://youtu.be/FeegDFTHy6A?si=6Y2DvZi6AYCiqJA6
That was interesting but it talks about a lot of mental mistakes that occurred in the second half offensively.

You have to wonder what's wrong mentally or emotionally if so many players are having brain farts simultaneously. That's a bit too much of a coincidence dontcha' think...?

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:43 pm

This feels exactly like the last 2 seasons. Why worry?

The schedule does get brutal from here with SF, Buff, 2x pitt, KC, etc. we’ll find out that’s up real soon

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:46 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:45 pm
It goes without saying we're all happy to be 3-3 right now, especially with the way the season began. This bye appears to be coming at just the right time too. Burrow needs time to heal further and the next group of games on the schedule present a tough stretch.

With all that being said, there are issues, both obvious and subtle, confronting the team....

The O-line is still not playing well. Once again the players we bought are much better than the ones we drafted. Hopefully, Brown's groin injury isn't serious. There's no margin for error with this group.

Despite receiving massive criticism and even acknowledging it's a problem, Zac still abandons the run game much too quickly.

Our defense plays lights out in the Red Zone. Between the 20's its a seive. Why are we able to stop the run, affect the opposing QB and defend WRs near the goal line but out at midfield we look like a Chinese fire drill?

Thoughts...?
This defense has had the bend dont break mentality for 3 years now. What I have seen the last few games was give you the whole field for a big play and we'll tackle you at the 20 yard line. I would be ok with giving up long, clock killing drives and then stopping them for a FG or turnover on downs. We can win those games. But the defense is giving up some ridiculous chunks of yardage all at once and dumping the offense right back on the field. We have the talent, and they have proven they can shut down just about anyone. So I have to assume it is still some rookie rust, communication growing pains, and a few mistakes contributing to the big plays. I truly feel like this will continue to improve, and thankfully at the right time with some potent offenses ahead on our schedule.

Of note, just saw the Colts have lost Richardson for the season. Ouch!
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:41 am

Charlie Goldsmith @CharlieG__
Some notes from OC Brian Callahan

-He said the Bengals may venture down the path of more under center offense to set up the run game and the play action game. They were looking in that in the offseason before Burrow's calf injury.

He said the run game overall hasn't had the same efficiency as it did last year. He cited an example of blocking technique and assignment.

-He had the same message as Zac about the second half: The performance featured mistakes from every position group.

-On the offense as a whole, Callahan stressed that it hasn't been good enough. There have been missed throws, miscommunications, drops missed blocks/pickups, etc.

-"Physically, we've played our (tails) off. We play hard as hell.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:31 pm

So my thoughts so far this season;

Defense; It's very apparent that the lack of leadership in the back end has lead to some big plays and missed tackles. I feel that that will continue to get better as Dax Hill gets more and more experience. I feel like Scott isn't the answer at Safety and Battle will ultimately be the starter by the end of the season but I'm not 100% sure that's a good thing. As for the run game and backers have been out of position and lost gap integrity, I think this is a more worry some issue. I'm hoping these guys can get their shit together but only time will tell. All in all though I do expect our defense to get better and be elite down the stretch.

Offense; I feel like it's 100% on Burrow right now, he's still not 100% and I feel like our offense has been limited because of that. Even in last week's second half he was missing throws. His accuracy has always been a huge strength and putting balls where guys can not only catch them but run with them, or fitting them in super tight windows. We've seen him this season throw balls behind, over, under, all over the place but not exactly where they need to be. Great example last week a 3rd and manageable his pass to Boyd was low and outside not allowing Boyd to do anything with it. Normally that ball is on his numbers and Boyd can back his way to a first down. Balls thrown behind Chase, I can't tell you how many passes I've seen behind WR's. I feel like once Burrow is back to his normal self and putting that ball where it needs to be our offense will be converting those 3rd downs and moving the chains again. I feel like this will open up the run game as well, being able to go under center, it's all part of the giant offensive puzzle that to me means Joe isn't 100% yet, and the offense is limited.

Those are just my thoughts so far.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:55 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:31 pm
I don't disagree with any of that however, I think you're glossing over the mediocre O-line play.

Burrow is still somewhat off I'll grant you that, but the line needs to give him more time. Part of his inaccuracies are due to the fact that he's hurried almost constantly.

I'm beginning to agree with the part of the fan base that says Pollack just isn't a very good O-line coach...

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:16 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:55 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:31 pm
I don't disagree with any of that however, I think you're glossing over the mediocre O-line play.

Burrow is still somewhat off I'll grant you that, but the line needs to give him more time. Part of his inaccuracies are due to the fact that he's hurried almost constantly.

I'm beginning to agree with the part of the fan base that says Pollack just isn't a very good O-line coach...
I wouldn't disagree with some of that however a lot of it is on Burrow. He's been dealing with average to horrible O-line play his entire career and he's never looked this off.

I'm not going to push back on the Pollack point either, I think he was better then the last guy we had but that wasn't saying a whole bunch. I'm going to hold out hope that these guys get their act together eventually though.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:04 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:16 pm
I wouldn't disagree with some of that however a lot of it is on Burrow. He's been dealing with average to horrible O-line play his entire career and he's never looked this off.
That's a fair point.