2023 Off-season thread

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
stripesincarolina

Re: 2023 Off-season thread

Post by stripesincarolina » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:42 pm

So the contracts start with the long snapper?? How about we get Burrow done and see whats left!!

Bye the way.....anyone want to take a flyer on Taylor Lewan? Titans just released him. Bad knees.
Seeking Superbowls

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:29 pm

Joe Bananas wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:42 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:23 pm
stripesincarolina wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:55 am
Bates seen having dinner with his agent and three Falcons players including Kyle Pitts. The drama builds.

I know Bates has a solid reputation for being the field leader on defense and a great locker room guy. But the more you look at his stats, there is just no way we can pay him. Which begs the question, why would anyone else pay him? His film and stats are there for everyone to see. Why would anyone break the bank on this guy? I'd love to have him back because he is part of a system that makes him better. You put Jesse into a defense that he is the best player there, I dont think thats going to end well.

We'll see....
Jesse is a high IQ player, and from what we've seen out of Dax Hill he's not a high IQ player. I have a bad feeling this isn't going to end well for us.
Hill never had a true position the entire season. He was safety for a minute them slot, then corner. I feel like he never got comfortable on the field. He looked good when he played the entire preseason. I still have hopes for him. He needs to play and the Bengals need to assign him a position instead of playing him somewhere different every game. Sure Bates is smart. But honestly I think Bates could have played better over the past 2 seasons.
I don't have super high hopes for Hill a lot of his penalties were on special teams as a gunner and that's not a high IQ needed position but he couldn't preform even there. I'm sorry but I just have a sinking feeling we're going to be looking at the same situation when we allowed our LT to walk cause we thought he was too old.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:24 pm

Goodberry @JoeGoodberry
True Pass Sets grades from PFF is what you want to look at when using their grades.

It takes out play-actions, screens and quick passes.

The Bengals are a low percentage screen, play-action and don't give their OTs much chip help.

Jonah: 65.2 (31st of 52 OT)
Volson: 53.9 (35th of 50 OG)
Karras: 71.1 (3rd of 27 C)
Cappa: 69.2 (13th)
Collins: 40.6 (51st)

Free Agent OTs
Orlando Brown: 73.8 (16th)
Jawaan Taylor: 72.8 (18th)
McGlinchey: 56.3 (44th)
McGary: 62.0 (36th)
Eluemunor: 79.8 (7th)
Wylie: 59.9

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:36 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:58 am
Paul Dehner Jr. @pauldehnerjr
#Bengals bring back long snapper Cal Adomitis. Did a solid job after Clark Harris went down.
The fact that I had no idea who this was when I saw the announcement means he did a great job at Long Snapper.

And, I really don't think that this contract is eating up any of the time or money necessary for resigning Burrow. You gotta have a long snapper. You might as well have one that does it well.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:45 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:24 pm
Goodberry @JoeGoodberry
True Pass Sets grades from PFF is what you want to look at when using their grades.

It takes out play-actions, screens and quick passes.

The Bengals are a low percentage screen, play-action and don't give their OTs much chip help.

Jonah: 65.2 (31st of 52 OT)
Volson: 53.9 (35th of 50 OG)
Karras: 71.1 (3rd of 27 C)
Cappa: 69.2 (13th)
Collins: 40.6 (51st)

Free Agent OTs
Orlando Brown: 73.8 (16th)
Jawaan Taylor: 72.8 (18th)
McGlinchey: 56.3 (44th)
McGary: 62.0 (36th)
Eluemunor: 79.8 (7th)
Wylie: 59.9
I just honestly think it's time to replace Jonah and have thought that for a couple years now. He really really struggles and it shows.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:44 am

AJ McCarron is a lot cheaper than Burrow. And we could re-sign the rest of the team, trade Burrow for a dynasty type O-Line and ride that wave to the superbowl for the next 3 years.

I'm just sayin'......
Seeking Superbowls

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:59 pm

Taylor Lewan is talking up Cincy. I think we will have quite a few FA's inquiring this offseason. It begs the question, where "can" Jonah play other than LT? Do we even have an option of moving him to the right side? Is he better than Adeniji? Is Collins done in Cincy??

So many questions.
Seeking Superbowls

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:55 am

stripesincarolina wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:44 am
AJ McCarron is a lot cheaper than Burrow. And we could re-sign the rest of the team, trade Burrow for a dynasty type O-Line and ride that wave to the superbowl for the next 3 years.

I'm just sayin'......
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:57 am

From Bengals Wire, via Hobson
Geoff Hobson recently spoke with agent Leigh Steinberg, author of plenty of historic deals in his own right, and the net result is a positive for fans worried about this topic.

Steinberg says there’s little reason to panic over the extension talks unfolding this offseason.

“Honestly, this appears to be a very happy marriage,” Steinberg said. “I don’t think this is going to be a difficult contract. It may be complex, but not difficult. I’d imagine you won’t hear anything about it until it’s done.”

Steinberg actually goes as far as to classify most quarterback contract extensions as the easiest contracts to do because there’s an agreed-upon market value, which lets the parties work on things behind the scenes.

Things are a little more complex for say, the Baltimore Ravens and Lamar Jackson right now, thanks to the Cleveland Browns and Deshaun Watson.

But Cincinnati? Ja’Marr Chase has already hinted Burrow might do a deal in a manner that lets the Bengals keep the weapons around him. That’s always been the general vibe, too — Burrow will likely become the NFL’s highest-paid passer, but the structure will be such (rolling guarantees like Mahomes in Kansas City, perhaps) that the team still keeps cap space wide open to pay others

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:06 am

This story from Trey Wingo is classic

https://twitter.com/DrewGarrison/status ... 14976?s=20
Trey Wingo Shares Joe Burrow Story Portraying His Steely Mentality Dating Back To Grade School
CINCINNATI — Joe Burrow has built a reputation as a cool character under pressure. It's been that way for a long time, evidenced by Trey Wingo recently on the Caps Off Podcast.

As a nine-year-old, Burrow led a game-winning comeback in an AAU basketball game by scoring nine points in the final 30 seconds. His team was trailing by eight at the time.

Burrow's coach was a sociology professor at Ohio University and he saw the same traits at that moment that "you find in first responders, policemen, and serial offenders."