Post by orange_black » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:43 pm

Mag wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:30 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:00 pm
Zoo wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:59 pm

Then you make Scherff top priority.
Throwing money at Scherff might not be a bad idea, but honestly I don't think he's going to be able to leave Washington.
It makes me uneasy. He will command top dollar ($20M/yr range), but he has struggled to stay healthy. Do we want another high price FA that never plays or do we go the route of CB and get an Awuzie/Hilton/Apple for the same cost as WJ3? I think I would rather ger more B+ players in a position group than one A+ player.
totally agree with this. WE all like flashy names.... but at the end of the day.... we put together a really good defense with B players.... I could go for that on the Oline as well....

MeatHeadbengal

Re: Depth Chart/Needs/etc

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:47 pm

Mag wrote:
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Zoo wrote:

Throwing money at Scherff might not be a bad idea, but honestly I don't think he's going to be able to leave Washington.
It makes me uneasy. He will command top dollar ($20M/yr range), but he has struggled to stay healthy. Do we want another high price FA that never plays or do we go the route of CB and get an Awuzie/Hilton/Apple for the same cost as WJ3? I think I would rather ger more B+ players in a position group than one A+ player.
Totally not against either honestly. I'm not a huge fan of throwing that much money at one guy, however if we did it would sure send a clear message to everyone our true intentions. That might finally shut all these talking heads.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:39 pm

The thing about our O-line is almost anybody will be an improvement. :roll:

Mag

Post by Mag » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:44 pm

If I were to throw big money at an OL, I would give it to either Armstead or Orlando Brown. Armstead is arguably the best OL in the NFL. Same age as Scherff and healthier. Brown is younger with more upside. There is also potential motivation to get back at Balt. Also he should have instant chemistry with Mixon and Perine since they played together at Oklahoma.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:17 pm

Mag wrote:
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Zoo wrote:

Fine with me as long as they bring in 3 B+ guys for the OL.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:12 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:17 pm
Fine with me as long as they bring in 3 B+ guys for the OL.
+1

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:13 pm

Mag wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:44 pm
If I were to throw big money at an OL, I would give it to either Armstead or Orlando Brown. Armstead is arguably the best OL in the NFL. Same age as Scherff and healthier. Brown is younger with more upside. There is also potential motivation to get back at Balt. Also he should have instant chemistry with Mixon and Perine since they played together at Oklahoma.
No argument from me here, I however think we really need to address the G position specifically knowing both Knee injuries came from the LG having issues blocking. We all know the RG is a serious issue and having to slide goes to protect other guys is a real problem up front.

Zoo

Post by Zoo » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:24 am

I wasn't really sure where I should post it this.
I've been looking at some draft profiles of the top offensive lineman. Most likely the top 5 are gone before we draft. Now, the scary part. There are a few that are projected for us to draft. However a few of them haven't played in their current position very long. This is beginning to sound like an oogie boogie scenario.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:00 am

Zoo wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:24 am
I wasn't really sure where I should post it this.
I've been looking at some draft profiles of the top offensive lineman. Most likely the top 5 are gone before we draft. Now, the scary part. There are a few that are projected for us to draft. However a few of them haven't played in their current position very long. This is beginning to sound like an oogie boogie scenario.
Honestly Zoo what's shaping up in this draft is more then likely a very good Edge rusher or LB at pick #31. With that being said I think we really need to address the needs at O-line in FA so that maybe we are in the position to take a project guy later on in the draft, day 2 day 3.

The depth in this draft is at Edge and LB and we should be able to help ourselves there if need be. If you're looking for a good athletic TE there isn't much there either, actually there isn't any from what I've seen.

Mag

Post by Mag » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:16 am

We have a bit of a freeze here is DFW (the general public doesn't know how to handle it), so I have time to play around with Fanspeak's Ultimate GM simulator. So here is what I did. Cut Waynes. I re-signed the following players:

Brandon Allen QB- Knows the system and has had some OK games.
Trent Taylor WR-Nothing after big 3. Need depth.
CJ Uzomah TE- emotional leader. Clutch target for Joe.
Eli Apple CB- Pain is the ass, but has flashed as a capable starter.
Clark Harris LS
B. Hill DT- Solid 3T. Very productive.
Ogunjobi DT-Vet prove-it deal again since he is rehabbing an injury.
Flowers CB-CB depth
Bates S- Our best defensive player.

Then I signed:

Morgan Moses RT- Very good starting RT. Probably half the price as Armstead. Won't have to change sides or force Jonah to change. 71 PFF grade. Nothing special but gets the job done.
Austin Corbett RG- Will likely be the best RG available after Scherf. Again, won't have to change sides. He's been a RG for most of his career.
Gronk TE-Why not?

Still have $13M in cap space for carryover or filling out the roster with interesting pickups.

Draft:
1. Kaiir Elam CB UF- Best CB available. While Apple is fine at times, we do not want to go into the season with him as the unquestioned #2.
2. Darrian Beavers Edge UC-Versitile edge that primarily plays as an OLB. He'd compete with Ossai as the first edge off the bench. Former S so he would be ideal as a 3rd down edge who can also drop in coverage.
3. Christian Watson WR ND- Big fast WR. Dominated FCS competition. We have a need to add young talent behind the big 3.
4. Ed Engram G LSU- One of Duke's guys. Got to see him at Duke's facility. Good pass blocker, but likely needs time to get stronger. Has starter potential. Adds another LSU guy for chemistry.
4 comp. Demani Richardson S A&M- A smart athletic S to backup Bates and Bell. Bell is going into the last year of his deal and we could use someone to step in if he's not re-signed.
5. Alec Lindstrom C BC- A solid C prospect from a program that produces good OLs. Brother was a first rd pick. Alec is a bit undersized. Will challenge Hill as backup C and could eventually push Hopkins.
6. Skylar Thompson QB KSU-An athletic QB prospect to push Allen as the #2.
7. Charleston Rambo WR UM- Transferred to The U from Oklahoma. Good traits, but needs development.
7. Grant Calcaterra TE SMU- Depth

Depth Chart
QB: Burrow, Allen, Thompson (R)
RB: Mixon, Perine, Evans, Williams
TE: Uzomah, Gronk, Sample, Wilcox, Moss, Calcaterra (R)
WR: Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Watson (R), Taylor, Rambo (R), Morgan, Irwin, Pooka
LT: Williams, Smith
LG: Carman, Ingram (R)- LG will be a competition between Carman, Smith, and Adeneji. Don't get your hopes up for another top FA here.
C: Hopkins, Hill, Lindstrom (R)-Hopkins actually performed well down the stretch. The team will agree.
RG: Corbett, Adeneji
RT: Moses, Prince

Edge: Hendrickson, Ossai, Spence
DT: Hill, Ogunjobi, Sample (I suspect Sample will get moved to 3 tech and push Ogunjobi)
NT: Reader, Shelvin,
Edge: Hubbard, Beavers (R), Kareem
LB: Wilson, Pratt, ADG, Bailey, Bachie, Johnston
S: Bates, Bell, Richardson (R), Wilson
CB: Awuzie, Hilton, Elam (R), Apple, Flowers

ST: Harris, $Mac, Chrisman

Summary: I just don't see us landing any blue chip FAs. I see us prioritizing key players on the current roster then adding a few quality 2nd and 3rd tier guys. While I would love a OT like Armstead, I would rather not sacrifice depth. Depth and health is often more important than overall talent, especially with the longer season. Expect one of the guard spots to be a battle between the current young guys. Corbett, while not a flashy name is a talented player from a winning team. He also has experience in the same offense (Rams) and AFCN (drafted by Browns). Moses at 30 is a temp player. He should be a quality starter for the next 2-3 years, but an eventual replacement will need to be drafted soon. I love the idea of adding a rookie edge guy to go with Hendrickson, Hubbard, and Ossai. I can see 3rd down packages with Hubbard and/or Hendrickson inside with the 2 young guys as rush backers on the outside. This also allows Hubbard and Hendrickson to rest and stay fresh down the stretch.

In the draft, based on most mocks I have seen, the best values at 31 are DB, G, and edge. Since I expect G to be addressed via FA, the choice is likely edge or CB. Elam is an exciting player with all the tools. I love Beavers in Rd 2. He seems to fall to the end of rd2 to the early part of rd3. The more I see of him, the more I like him for our team. Not only is he a fun player with huge upside, he has the Cincy connections. Grabbing a talented young S plus OL and WR depth in the mid to late rounds is likely the best value there.