Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Zoo

Re: Depth Chart/Needs/etc

Post by Zoo » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:28 am

Mag wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:10 am
Zoo wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:05 am
First action is to protect Burrow. Second action is to resign key players. Third is to fill in the gaps.
Now some food for thought here. I desperately think we need to move on from Brandon Allen. He might be a great guy, but doesn't seem comfortable when he's on the field. Based on the slim pickings in free agency I see one guy that might work. He happens to be a former Bengal playoff starter, Andy Dalton. Now hear me out. Nah, just kidding. He'll likely sign with a team where he had a chance to start. But, I am intrigued by the possibility of A J. McCarron. He's coming off an ACL injury. The asking price shouldn't be high.
I kind of want to draft a guy. Perhaps in rds 4-6. Joe doesn't need a mentor. We need a guy who can do the job on the cheap, then earn us a Comp pick when they leave. Perhaps we get lucky and develop a talented guy that we can trade.
I agree with maybe drafting a guy. One guy caught my eye was EJ Perry out of Brown. Not a powerhouse school. But, looked impressive in the Shrine game.
Another thing we need to keep an eye on is the USFL. There's going to be some options there.

Mag

Post by Mag » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:38 am

Zoo wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:28 am
Mag wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:10 am
Zoo wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:05 am
First action is to protect Burrow. Second action is to resign key players. Third is to fill in the gaps.
Now some food for thought here. I desperately think we need to move on from Brandon Allen. He might be a great guy, but doesn't seem comfortable when he's on the field. Based on the slim pickings in free agency I see one guy that might work. He happens to be a former Bengal playoff starter, Andy Dalton. Now hear me out. Nah, just kidding. He'll likely sign with a team where he had a chance to start. But, I am intrigued by the possibility of A J. McCarron. He's coming off an ACL injury. The asking price shouldn't be high.
I kind of want to draft a guy. Perhaps in rds 4-6. Joe doesn't need a mentor. We need a guy who can do the job on the cheap, then earn us a Comp pick when they leave. Perhaps we get lucky and develop a talented guy that we can trade.
I agree with maybe drafting a guy. One guy caught my eye was EJ Perry out of Brown. Not a powerhouse school. But, looked impressive in the Shrine game.
Another thing we need to keep an eye on is the USFL. There's going to be some options there.
Aqeel Glass out of Alabama A&M looks interesting.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:44 am

Regarding QB, I'm not against drafting for depth, but this team could be one of those rare teams next year that could continue to win if Burrow got hurt for a few games. You cant let a season slip by because all you have is a middle tier college draft pick waiting in the wings. I would be looking for a vet, better than Allen, that clearly understands their role on the team. There will be several floating around this offseason. McCarron wouldnt be any better than the draft pick at this point. Used to love him but he never got any traction to bank playing time.
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins

Zoo

Post by Zoo » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:56 am

stripesincarolina wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:44 am
Regarding QB, I'm not against drafting for depth, but this team could be one of those rare teams next year that could continue to win if Burrow got hurt for a few games. You cant let a season slip by because all you have is a middle tier college draft pick waiting in the wings. I would be looking for a vet, better than Allen, that clearly understands their role on the team. There will be several floating around this offseason. McCarron wouldnt be any better than the draft pick at this point. Used to love him but he never got any traction to bank playing time.
Since McCarron left the Bengals. He's backed up Derek Carr, Deshaun Watson and Matt Ryan. Although he tore his ACL before he had the chance to back up Ryan. So, obviously he's not looking to unseat a starting QB.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:07 pm

11 offensive linemen the Bengals should target in free agency to help Joe Burrow

The Cincinnati Bengals have spent massive money on the defensive side of the ball over the last two offseasons.

Now it’s time to go get Joe Burrow an offensive line.

That defensive rebuild, headlined by D.J. Reader and Trey Hendrickson (they threw big money at Trae Waynes, too), was a big part of the reason for -

Along the way, Burrow’s continued to somehow outpace Andrew Luck in terms of hits and suffered a knee injury in the Super Bowl itself.

As we broke down, every single spot on the line should be up for grabs.

And it just so happens this year’s free-agent class boasts some major talent. Cincinnati, given the droves of cap space and firepower to reach a Super Bowl already, could be an attractive destination for even the biggest of names.

G Brandon Scherff

We’ve had Scherff on this list for years and he just keeps getting tagged with the team now known as the Commanders. He’s still just 30 years old, a former top-five pick and let up zero sacks last year. The six penalties in 697 snaps with a 73.6 PFF grade don’t look amazing, but he’s good in zone concepts and an obvious upgrade if he can stay healthy.

OT Terron Armstead

Perhaps the best lineman in the NFL outright, the Saints would never let Armstead hit the market. Given some of the cap issues there though, who knows? He’s going to net over $20 million per year, but he’s worth it. He’d be an upgrade over Jonah Williams at left tackle, which could let Williams shift down to something he might be even better at, be it left guard or right tackle — knocking out two positions for the price of one.

C Ryan Jensen

One of the better centers in football, Jensen’s going into his age-31 season having not missed a game since 2016. He let up just two sacks over 1,151 snaps last season. Trey Hopkins is much better than portrayed in the media, but Jensen would be an obvious upgrade. The problem might stem from kicking Hopkins out to guard, where he hasn’t been the best before. It wouldn’t necessarily let the team upgrade at two spots, but still, everyone’s job should be on the line.

OT Trent Brown

If the Bengals want to play bully ball at right tackle, look no further than the 6’8″, 380-pound Brown. He’s had a strange career arc while bouncing all over the place and he hasn’t been consistently on the field lately. But a Riley Reiff-styled contract that lets him start and somebody like D’Ante Smith gets the nod if he can’t go could provide a nice boost on the right edge.

G Laken Tomlinson

A win-now contender like the 49ers probably won’t let Tomlinson get away. But he got called for just five flags and allowed two sacks all year on nearly 1,100 snaps. Throw him at left guard next to Williams and never worry much about that side of the line for at least a few years.

G Mark Glowinski

Glowinski wasn’t always perfect last season, but he lit things up near the end, as seen above. On the year, he allowed just two sacks and his improvement as a run-blocker has been consistent. He’ll be 30 next year, but with Frank Pollack guiding him, odds are he’d have the consistency to be a big upgrade at right guard.

G James Daniels

Daniels is something of a sour talking point for Bengals fans because he comes from the draft the team grabbed Billy Price after missing on Frank Ragnow. He fell and has been solid, as expected. Daniels gave up three sacks on 1,121 snaps last year and has positional versatility, which would give Pollack options as to how he moves around guys like Jackson Carman, too. Oh, and he’s still only 24!

G Connor Williams

Those who know about Williams might shy away a bit — he got flagged 15 times last year. But he also only allowed one sack and is only going on 25 years old. It’s worth noting that someone like Pollack could probably help the former second-rounder clean up the smaller issues and the contract-production value should be superb.

G Austin Corbett
Bengals fans might remember Corbett, who started his career in Cleveland as a second-round pick and just won the Super Bowl while lining up across from the Bengals. He gave up just three sacks with two flags on 1,000-plus snaps last season and is only 26. He offers the type of stability the team desperately needs at right guard.

OT Orlando Brown Jr.

Just call this “due diligence.” We have to list Brown until the Chiefs officially hit him with a franchise tag or extension. He’s one of the best tackles in the game and just 25. After having similar problems as the Bengals, the Chiefs went all-in on the line, signing Joe Thuney and trading for Brown. They’re not letting him get away, but if for some reason they do, the Bengals would want to be all over it.

G Andrew Norwell

It’s all about the high floor with Norwell — he’s not going to surprise with his steady play. He had 1,000-plus snaps last year with just three sacks allowed. He’s already 30, but the team can bank on exactly how he’ll perform and it’s a very good bang-for-buck value compared to the floor other free agents present.

Mag

Post by Mag » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:56 pm

Fun fact.

According to PFF, Hopkins is the 7th rated C in pass pro since week 10 (76.9). Seems we might be fine there.

Zoo

Post by Zoo » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:59 pm

Mag wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:56 pm
Fun fact.

According to PFF, Hopkins is the 7th rated C in pass pro since week 10 (76.9). Seems we might be fine there.
Then you make Scherff top priority.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:00 pm

Zoo wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:59 pm
Mag wrote:
Fun fact.

Throwing money at Scherff might not be a bad idea, but honestly I don't think he's going to be able to leave Washington.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:06 pm

It's not unusual to find interior offensive linemen who have played both Guard and Center in their careers, both college and pro.

Find a quality Guard who's spent some time at Center and move on to the next O-line signing....

Mag

Post by Mag » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:30 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:00 pm
Zoo wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:59 pm
Mag wrote:
Fun fact.

Throwing money at Scherff might not be a bad idea, but honestly I don't think he's going to be able to leave Washington.
It makes me uneasy. He will command top dollar ($20M/yr range), but he has struggled to stay healthy. Do we want another high price FA that never plays or do we go the route of CB and get an Awuzie/Hilton/Apple for the same cost as WJ3? I think I would rather ger more B+ players in a position group than one A+ player.