Big Whit

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
stripesincarolina

Big Whit

Post by stripesincarolina » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:40 pm

I know we have all bantered about this decision for the last 30 years it seems, but I swear I hope that SoP has nightmares each and every day about parting ways with Whitworth. You simply cannot calculate the draft impact and long term impact to the Oline play that this decision had on our team. This is easily the single largest, dumbest move ever made. And now he's gonna play another season next year for the Rams. :oops:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... to-retire/
Seeking Superbowls

Bengals1

Re: Big Whit

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:52 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:40 pm
I know we have all bantered about this decision for the last 30 years it seems, but I swear I hope that SoP has nightmares each and every day about parting ways with Whitworth. You simply cannot calculate the draft impact and long term impact to the Oline play that this decision had on our team. This is easily the single largest, dumbest move ever made. And now he's gonna play another season next year for the Rams. :oops:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... to-retire/
What he said....🤬

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:29 am

Question - would you bring Big Whit back on a one-year deal, maybe two, at LG? Just read an article this morning on him and it really sounds like the Rams are going to have to let him go. But he also says he isnt ready to retire. He loves Cincy and loves Zac Taylor having played a year with him. I really think he would jump at the chance to retire a Bengal and play a year with Burrow.

Unsure about the money he would want of course. And we cant be paying a LG a LT salary.

This would shore up a huge problem for us and give us an extra season to develop the line, hopefully draft a center and grab a quality vet in FA for the right side.
Seeking Superbowls

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:46 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:29 am
Question - would you bring Big Whit back on a one-year deal, maybe two, at LG?
No. As much as I miss and respect Whit and feel letting him go was one of this clubs biggest mistakes I also feel the time, energy and cap space should go to a younger prospect. Someone that can grow with Burrow and be a fixture on our O-line for the next decade.

Bringing Whit back would just get in the way of a much needed longer solution....

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:46 am

I still say bring him back. Too much short term value to pass up so we can solve other problems on the line.

Here's a cool little story from FMIA this morning:

Andrew Whitworth left Cincinnati in 2017 to play left tackle for the Rams. Joe Burrow arrived in Cincinnati in 2020. They got to know each other well while rehabbing knee injuries under the direction of Dr. Neal ElAttrache in Los Angeles. (ElAttrache did Burrow’s major knee surgery in December 2020, while Whitworth was rehabbing knee damage suffered in November 2020 for the Rams.) When Burrow was in the area for an exam on the surgically repaired knee last April, four months after surgery, he called Whitworth to see what he was doing. This was the week of the draft, in late April. Whitworth ask Burrow to come over to his house. And so there were the once and current Bengals—future Super Bowl combatants too—watching the 2021 NFL Draft at Chez Whitworth.

That’s where, and when, Burrow saw the Bengals were picking Ja’Marr Chase. It seemed like Burrow had an idea about it, but now he got to see it for certain.

“He was pumped, really pumped,” Whitworth said. “He knew him so well, and he knew what it was going to mean for their offense.”
Seeking Superbowls

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:00 am

I would sign him to a 1 year so he can retire here but that's about it.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:21 am

The only way I'd bring Whitworth back at this age is if we weren't necessarily counting on him to be the starter.

If we went out and drafted some promising Offensive Lineman in the draft who might end up needing a bit of developing, it would be great to have someone like Whitworth in there to play when needed and help the new guy develop.

I don't think that's what Whit wants though.

Here's PFF's line for how he played this year. He finished as the fourth overall graded Tackle in the NFL.

Overall - 86.1
Pass Blocking - 90.7
Run Blocking - 71.2
Penalties - 6
Sacks Allowed - 5

Not bad for being the oldest man left in the NFL.

Scooper

Post by Scooper » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:52 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:00 am
I uh. :cough cough gag: I agree with Meat.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:12 pm

Scooper wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:52 am
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
I know. It always leaves you feeling a little nauseous, doesn't it....? :|

Scooper

Post by Scooper » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:22 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:12 pm
Scooper wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:52 am
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
I know. It always leaves you feeling a little nauseous, doesn't it....? :|
It's like hangovers. The older I get, the longer it takes to really get over it.