Cats/Niners Game Thread.

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Joe Bananas

Re: Cats/Niners Game Thread.

Post by Joe Bananas » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:32 am

I disagree with you on Zac felt this past off seasons additions were good enough. Mike Brown is in charge of that because it's his money. Not technically the free agent money isn't, but he truly believes it is. If you ask Zac privately he'd probably say he wishes there were 1 or 2 more FA signings. But again, you have to get approval by Mikey before spending a dime, let alone 20 mill.

But I agree with you that it makes a hole in my stomach and my heart sad that Burrow may very well be our next Carson Palmer.

Palmer wanted to come here to change the culture. Check that on Burrow

Palmer was going to be the chosen one. Check that n Burrow.

Palmer thought he could or would be competitive here on an annual basis. Check that on Burrow.

Palmer was surrounded by mega talent but never won a play off game. So far as we speak Check that on Burrow.

There was a time Palmer had a huge positive attitude. So far Burrow does.

Palmer goes off the deepened and refuses to play unless traded. Stay tuned for Palmer part 2......
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Exile

Post by Exile » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:45 am

To the point about running vs. passing in overtime, the other thing to remember is how decimated the Niners secondary was. Yes, Nick Bosa was a one-man wrecking crew, but there was a reason why Burrow was as successful as he was down the stretch. It's probably true that part of that success throwing was because of the threat to run, which I think was the difference on third down when their d-line could pin back their ears and just rush, but we didn't actually need to run it to have that threat, but two unsuccessful runs set us up in a bad place on third down. Maybe one of those runs is fine, but ffs give the ball to Joe B and go win it.

All that said, yes, those decisions reflect badly on Zac. He has some huge weaknesses in his skill set as a head coach. But I do still give him a ton of credit for the way that he's shaped this team and kept the core of the team believing through two absolutely terrible seasons. Sounds like Urban Meyer down in Jacksonville had lost his guys before the season was half through, while Zac kept guys believing. Maybe he needs to give more autonomy to an OC to call the game, I don't know. I'm not in the #fireZac camp, but he's gotta fix some shit for sure.

Also, have we cut Phillips yet? Because that's the game right there. Just F***ing catch the ball dude. Our expectations aren't that high here.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:08 pm

Joe Bananas wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:32 am
I disagree with you on Zac felt this past off seasons additions were good enough. Mike Brown is in charge of that because it's his money. Not technically the free agent money isn't, but he truly believes it is. If you ask Zac privately he'd probably say he wishes there were 1 or 2 more FA signings. But again, you have to get approval by Mikey before spending a dime, let alone 20 mill.
I don't agree. When Marvin came in here he had no previous head coaching experience either. Yet with the help of Katie Blackburn and her husband he was able to get SoP to make several needed changes such as upgrading the weight and locker room facilities.

There was a time the Bengals used to ask Free Agents to pay for their own tickets to fly out for workouts. Then SoP begrudgingly agreed to pay for them but only for economy class. Marvin was the one who got him to start flying out free agents in first class.

The point is the head coach, even for the Cincinnati Bengals, can have influence on the owner. Even SoP.

If Zac really believed he needed more O-line help he almost certainly could have gotten it. We spent some 120 million on free agents the past two seasons mostly on defensive players. Are you really asking me to believe SoP slammed his fist down and proclaimed, "Not a dime more for O-linemen!!!"

That just doesn't hold water.

If we came into this season without an adequate O-line it's just as much Zac Taylor's fault as anyone's. He's the head coach of an NFL team, the buck stops with him.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:58 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:08 pm
Joe Bananas wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:32 am
I don't agree. When Marvin came in here he had no previous head coaching experience either. Yet with the help of Katie Blackburn and her husband he was able to get SoP to make several needed changes such as upgrading the weight and locker room facilities.

There was a time the Bengals used to ask Free Agents to pay for their own tickets to fly out for workouts. Then SoP begrudgingly agreed to pay for them but only for economy class. Marvin was the one who got him to start flying out free agents in first class.

The point is the head coach, even for the Cincinnati Bengals, can have influence on the owner. Even SoP.

If Zac really believed he needed more O-line help he almost certainly could have gotten it. We spent some 120 million on free agents the past two seasons mostly on defensive players. Are you really asking me to believe SoP slammed his fist down and proclaimed, "Not a dime more for O-linemen!!!"

That just doesn't hold water.

If we came into this season without an adequate O-line it's just as much Zac Taylor's fault as anyone's. He's the head coach of an NFL team, the buck stops with him.
I respectfully disagree here, Zach may have some influence but it's still not his money. soP at the end of the day is in charge of that and will say yes or no on spending period, there's no if's and but's about it. This team has always been very tight with their money and there's no doubt in my mind Zach would have wanted more O-linemen if they franchise would have allowed it. To sit here and blame Zach for something that the front office is involved in is like blaming your McDonalds coffee on starbucks!

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:07 pm

Hey guys, wussup? Looks like some of you are discussing some football related items. :lol:

I don't know about you but I'm really looking forward to another post season where my only interest is rooting against Tom Brady. And most of the time I lose at that too! :cry:

Anyone seen Mag? Has he become the wise man of the group and decided to abandon professional sports in favor of weekend drone photography and beer?

This team absolutely rips your soul out and shits on it. Over 13 games we have probably only needed 6 or 7 plays to be 11-2 right now. I need a break.
Seeking Superbowls

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:22 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:58 pm
I respectfully disagree here, Zach may have some influence but it's still not his money. soP at the end of the day is in charge of that and will say yes or no on spending period, there's no if's and but's about it. This team has always been very tight with their money and there's no doubt in my mind Zach would have wanted more O-linemen if they franchise would have allowed it. To sit here and blame Zach for something that the front office is involved in is like blaming your McDonalds coffee on starbucks!
I understand that SoP controls the money this team spends. But your argument just defies common sense.

You're asking me to believe that SoP said yes to spending some 120 million dollars on Free Agents recently but slammed the door on O-linemen specifically.

Rethink what you're saying please....

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:57 pm

Hmmm going back to the preseason prediction thread they’re actually outperforming what almost all of you thought this team would be

It’s a young .500 club that needs another year or so to be a legit contender. That’s who they are. They’ll win these types of games next year

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:33 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:22 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:58 pm
I understand that SoP controls the money this team spends. But your argument just defies common sense.

You're asking me to believe that SoP said yes to spending some 120 million dollars on Free Agents recently but slammed the door on O-linemen specifically.

Rethink what you're saying please....
Just because you can't wrap your brain around it doesn't make it common sense defying. I would imagine they have ratings and dollar amounts associated with all these players and their just not going to go out and over spend. Is it right or wrong hard to say, we are very ignorant to what really goes on in the front office. Zach however may want a guy but that doesn't mean that front office is going to sign them.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:38 pm

skycruiser wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:57 pm
Hmmm going back to the preseason prediction thread they’re actually outperforming what almost all of you thought this team would be

It’s a young .500 club that needs another year or so to be a legit contender. That’s who they are. They’ll win these types of games next year
So that goes back to how you judge success and this season, personally at this point with 7 wins it's been a successful season. I'd like to get to 9 wins and it would show a lot of progress. I know folks want to see playoffs but you can't deny this team is heading in the right direction.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:52 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:33 pm
Just because you can't wrap your brain around it doesn't make it common sense defying.
No, the fact that it's common sense defying makes it common sense defying.

Please explain how the team spent 120 million on free agents but SoP would have put his foot down on spending any more on O-linemen....?

He let Zac use a 1st round pick on a left tackle just two years ago. He let him use a 2nd rounder on a tackle this year plus sign a RT as a free agent. So the idea that SoP won't spend money on the O line is a myth.

The logical explanation is that Zac felt they'd done enough. And he was wrong.