Former Bengals QB says teammate was drunk during game

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Jmble

Former Bengals QB says teammate was drunk during game

Post by Jmble » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:57 am

CINCINNATI (WKRC) - Former Bengals quarterback Jon Kitna alleged on a podcast that a Cincinnati teammate was drunk during a game.

Kitna made the remarks while appearing on The Ryen Russillo podcast on Tuesday.

"There was a time that I played a game with a guy that was drunk in the huddle," he said. "There was a time that a guy showed up late to a game -- in the NFL you need to be there two hours, two hours and 15 minutes ahead of time. And he showed up under an hour before the game and he started. Those are weird things now. That's tough."

When asked to expound on his statement, Kitna said, "I'm not sure if the staff knew but I think the guy was like... that was kind of his normal. I mean he was drunk and had close to 200 yards receiving now, so... it was crazy."

Kitna never named the player to which he was referring.

Former Bengals offensive lineman Willie Anderson tweeted three emojis as a reply to what Kitna said. (There was a link, but they were three laughing/crying face emojis)

Kitna spent five of his 14 NFL seasons with the Bengals from 2001-05. He was the starting quarterback when Marvin Lewis took over as the head coach in 2003 and eventually the backup to Carson Palmer. Kitna appeared in the team's 2005 playoff game after Palmer tore his ACL, finishing 24-for-40 for 197 yards, a touchdown and two interceptions.

From 1997-2011 he appeared in 141 NFL games, starting 124, and threw for 29,745 yards, 169 touchdowns and 165 interceptions.
As pulled by Jay Morrison, Receivers with the most single game yards playing with Kitna in Cincinnati:

1. Darnay Scott - week 17, 2001 with 152 yards

The next six on the list are Chad Johnson games, and as Jay Morrison said, we know he didn't drink.

8. Peter Warrick - week 11, 2003 with 114 yards

Sure sounds like he's talking about Darnay Scott though Peter Warrick wouldn't surprise me either.

Exile

Re: Former Bengals QB says teammate was drunk during game

Post by Exile » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:20 am

Wow. That says a lot about the culture of the team before Marvin turned things around (at least, that's my assumption, I'm thinking Darnay there, but even if it was Warrick, he was a pre-Marvin holdover).

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:42 am

i would gladly allow our WR's get tanked before a game if they can put up 200 yards

Mag

Post by Mag » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:54 pm

It's Scott. One of the fishing captains I worked with spent a summer as a Bengals undrafted receiver. He said Scott and Dugans would come to meetings late and often hungover. Sometimes they would nap in meetings.