Bengals Related News & Notes

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Jmble

Re: Bengals Related News & Notes

Post by Jmble » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:08 pm

I have nothing against Eifert. I wouldn’t throw him a bunch of guaranteed money but a healthy Eifert would be nothing but a good thing.

Kyle Rudolph was also released today. I might be more inclined to try and bring Rudolph home to Cincinnati, but either one would make a nice red zone target for Burrow.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:02 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:01 pm
Should the Bengals resign Tyler Eifert in an attempt to place more weapons around Joe Burrow?

If those top-tier teams aren't interested in Eifert, then there's no reason why the Bengals shouldn't be open to a reunion.
What are we, table scraps?? If those top tier teams arent interested in Eiffert, then WE shouldnt be interested in Eiffert. Let's move on from these feel good emotional reunions please and build a football team around players that are healthy. I dont really want Kyle Rudolph either, but at least he's healthier than Eiffert.

Is Reggie Kelly available? I might get all emotional about seeing him in stripes too. :roll:
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:36 am

Did Eiffert play all 16 games for the Jags last season...? I honestly don't recall hearing his name mentioned more then once or twice all last season.

Was he hurt again last year too...?

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:23 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:36 am
Did Eiffert play all 16 games for the Jags last season...? I honestly don't recall hearing his name mentioned more then once or twice all last season.

349 yds and 2 tds last season in 15 games played.

Not sure if he was hurt B, but with those stats I think I would pass on him. Not much there in my opinion.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:26 am

Joe Bananas wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:23 am
Bengals1 wrote:

Not sure if he was hurt B, but with those stats I think I would pass on him. Not much there in my opinion.
Well you have to consider the team he was on too but yeah I see what you're saying.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:29 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:26 am
Joe Bananas wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:23 am
Bengals1 wrote:

Well you have to consider the team he was on too but yeah I see what you're saying.
Good point. I think if he can stay healthy and give us 550 -600 yards and 5 or 6 tds then yeah. But not sure I'd give him a big contract.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:35 pm

@Bengals

The man, the myth, the legend is coming back to Cincinnati for a 13th season!

We've re-signed LS @ClarkHarris46 to a one-year contract extension through the 2021 season.
From Jay Morrison
Long snappers don’t have much in the way of stats, but the one that counts has reached an epic level for Harris: 1,699 consecutive deep snaps without an unplayable delivery.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:38 pm

Long snappers don’t have much in the way of stats, but the one that counts has reached an epic level for Harris: 1,699 consecutive deep snaps without an unplayable delivery.

Are they actively trying to jinx the man???

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:49 pm

Here's an SI column grading Eifert's year for the Jags in a series of grading free agent signings after the year. It kind of tells you everything you need to know about his year beyond the stats.
The Jacksonville Jaguars, like many teams in the National Football League, found themselves in a precarious situation last spring. A global pandemic meant scouts and coaches were limited to tape when evaluating players. As such, the Jaguars kept their free agent signings modest.

From there, the list shrunk even more as a handful of those signed elected to retire and/or opt-out for the season.

There were six though that saw significant time on the field for the Jacksonville Jaguars this season and we’ll spend the next few days grading their performance.

Tight end Tyler Eifert came to Jacksonville from the Cincinnati Bengals. The former first-round pick out of Notre Dame spent seven seasons with the Bengals. What made Eifert interesting though was that prior to coming to Jacksonville, he’d played only one full 16-game season. It was the possibility of what he could do in Jay Gruden’s offense that made Eifert a titillating prospect.

What Went Right
Eifert was able to take some of the load that James O’Shaughnessy had been handling primarily on his own. He finished with 36 receptions on 60 targets and 349 yards, which led the Jags tight end unit. He converted 22 first downs and picked up 105 yards after the catch.

Eifert was a solid option on the edge and over the middle of the field. He's big but nimble, able to shoulder up a defender and run a precise route.

Former Jags Offensive Coordinator Jay Gruden coached Eifert as a rookie, when both were with the Bengals. As the tight end evolved, Gruden saw a guy who can change a game…but one also hampered by injuries that had affected his career.

“He makes some flashes,” Gruden said of Eifert in early December.

“He’s done some good things for us. Like I said, he’s kind of been beat up his whole career, unfortunately. He’s had a lot of different nagging injuries. When I saw him as a rookie right out of college, he’s a little bit different than he is now. He’s older obviously. He’s had those injuries, the back, the foot, the knee.

“All these injuries kind of had a little bit wear and tear on him, but he definitely still can come in and out of cuts. He’s got great hands. He’s got a great feel for the game, so yeah, I think there’s still a lot of good football left in Tyler.”

What Went Wrong
As Gruden mentioned, injuries have made it hard to accurately grade Tyler Eifert, who missed another game this season. But perhaps that tells us a lot of what we need to know about the eight-year veteran. Those who get hurt stay hurt and at some point, one has to wonder if Eifert—who’s played an average of 9.25 games per season during his eight-year career—is worth the risk of paying him.

There’s also the incompletion rate. This one isn’t completely his fault. It had something to do with the carousel of quarterbacks the Jaguars shuffled through the backfield last season. And according to Pro Football Focus, Eifert had no drops. But the 40% incompletion rate when thrown his way is second-worst amongst Jags receivers (minimum 20 receptions). Most tight end passes are short crossing routes. At that depth of field, the catchable passes increase and so should the reception rate.

Overall Grade On This Signing: C+
There’s a lot to like about Tyler Eifert. And as the tight end role evolves to resemble more players like Travis Kelce and George Kittle—and the upcoming draft prospect Kyle Pitts—teams have to mold their own unit’s to keep up. Eifert has the skill set to be that guy. If the Jaguars elect to keep him for another year to see what else they can do with him, it’d be an understandable move. As for his 2020 season though, he was nowhere near the impact he was expected to be for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:49 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:38 pm

Are they actively trying to jinx the man???
Its okay Meat.....Fat Randy will just shank the kick anyway. :roll: