Bengals Roster Projection

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Jmble

Re: Bengals Roster Projection

Post by Jmble » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:21 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:22 pm

"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the very definition of insanity."-Albert Einstein
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."-Abraham Lincoln

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:21 pm

Jmble wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:21 pm
Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:22 pm

"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the very definition of insanity."-Albert Einstein
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."-Abraham Lincoln
:lol:

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:37 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:19 pm
So there's (no) right to apply any "I told you so" here.
How's I informed you thusly....?

The problem comes down to differing drafting philosophies. Most successful orginaztions look at the draft in generally this manner...

Rounds 1-3: Starters for the upcoming season. They may be replacing lost or aged starters or more likely with 3rd round picks spelling existing starters in their rookie seasons with an eye on replacing a vet in year two or three.

Rounds 4-5: Players drafted mostly for depth. These are largely developmental players who may play on special teams in their rookie season but are largely viewed as bench warmers who with some coaching may turn into starters later in their careers.

Rounds 6-7: Long shots and roster fillers. This is where good coaching staffs take a shot on a smaller school player who stood out at a lower level program or an injured player from one of the bigger, better Division 1 schools. If they work out...fine. If they don't....m'eh. Nothing ventured -nothing gained.

Then there's the Bengal draft philosophy....

Round 1-2: Starters for the upcoming season. Most likely replacing players that were drafted a few years earlier who never panned out or older veterans who want too much money to resign.

Rounds 3-5: Deals and Panic picks. These are largely players that are still available due to previous injuries that caused them to miss games the prior season in college or discipline problems other teams don't want to touch with a ten foot pole but SoP just can't resist getting for a bargain 3rd round contract. Also players taken simply because the team desperately needs someone...anyone at a particular position usually due to injuries to existing players or more likely poor drafting at that same position in previous years. This is where small school wonders and guys who were considered undrafted free agents by the vast majority of draft experts usually hear the Bengals call their names.

Rounds 6-7: Developmental players and back-ups who the coaches desperately hope will turn into starters a year or two down the line so they can cut some existing Pro Bowler who's either pushing 35 or wants to be paid like a player on one of the other 31 rosters.

See the difference...? :roll:

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:41 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:37 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:

The problem comes down to differing drafting philosophies. Most successful orginaztions look at the draft in generally this manner...

Rounds 1-3: Starters for the upcoming season. They may be replacing lost or aged starters or more likely with 3rd round picks spelling existing starters in their rookie seasons with an eye on replacing a vet in year two or three.

Rounds 4-5: Players drafted mostly for depth. These are largely developmental players who may play on special teams in their rookie season but are largely viewed as bench warmers who with some coaching may turn into starters later in their careers.

Rounds 6-7: Long shots and roster fillers. This is where good coaching staffs take a shot on a smaller school player who stood out at a lower level program or an injured player from one of the bigger, better Division 1 schools. If they work out...fine. If they don't....m'eh. Nothing ventured -nothing gained.

Round 1-2: Starters for the upcoming season. Most likely replacing players that were drafted a few years earlier who never panned out or older veterans who want too much money to resign.

Rounds 3-5: Deals and Panic picks. These are largely players that are still available due to previous injuries that caused them to miss games the prior season in college or discipline problems other teams don't want to touch with a ten foot pole but SoP just can't resist getting for a bargain 3rd round contract. Also players taken simply because the team desperately needs someone...anyone at a particular position usually due to injuries to existing players or more likely poor drafting at that same position in previous years. This is where small school wonders and guys who were considered undrafted free agents by the vast majority of draft experts usually hear the Bengals call their names.

Rounds 6-7: Developmental players and back-ups who the coaches desperately hope will turn into starters a year or two down the line so they can cut some existing Pro Bowler who's either pushing 35 or wants to be paid like a player on one of the other 31 rosters.

This being opinion based I see how you see the Bengals draft philosophy. I don't agree with this assessment but honestly does that surprise you, we don't really agree on much.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:43 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:41 pm
This being opinion based I see how you see the Bengals draft philosophy. I don't agree with this assessment but honestly does that surprise you, we don't really agree on much.
I'm not losing any sleep over it..... 8-)

Joe the Sot

Post by Joe the Sot » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:07 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:37 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:

That is hilarious 😂

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:27 pm

Joe the Sot wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:07 am
That is hilarious 😂
And accurate.... :twisted:

Mag

Post by Mag » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:32 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:53 am
Mag wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:25 am
stripesincarolina wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:50 am
Well ok then! If we follow Dehner's approach we will have one key buzzword associated with every game this year. SHOOTOUT! Cuz we'll have a Top 5 offense and a bottom 3 defense.

Fix the damn offensive line and go get some help at LB on defense PLEASE!!! How many years are we going to watch other AFC North teams dominate us with their LB play? How many more years are we going to watch teams like, oh, the Bucs...advance thru the playoffs with their LB play? How many years are we going to watch Superbowl winners be a result of their outstanding defensive play??

In 2020 if our freaking defense could just hold opponents under 23 points we probably would have been sitting as a wildcard. Go find some help SoP!! :evil: :x
We got help. The team spent 4 picks in 2 years. Are they Ray Lewis? No, but they've shown steady progression. They are all young and very athletic. I think that group is good, for now. We need way more help at more important positions.
You're kidding right Mag? This ain't April Fools Day. Might I remind you of the PFF grades which were terrible in their own right. I could argue the results on film looked even worse. Teams continue to pick apart this defense across the middle and have for years. LB blitzes? Tackling, ugh!! Dont get me started. I would love to have the next Ray Lewis, but in reality I would have been ok if we had just made a reasonable effort. Pratt was a project from the 3rd round. Bynes was a stop gap insurance policy and some leadership in a room that was totally lost. We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

From the PFF Grade Post.....

"Linebackers remained a problem.

Our highest ended up being Logan Wilson with a 54.7 placing him in the middle at 45th out of 90
The rest are hardly worth mentioning. Bynes at 55th of 90, Pratt at 81st of 90, and Davis-Gaither at 83rd of 90."
Wilson had a higher grade than Murray (54.4) and Queen (29.8), both taken in first round. PFF always grade LBs hard, especially linebackers.

Mag

Post by Mag » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:33 pm

You also have to consider how bad the DL was last year. These young backers had lineman on them all the time.

In any case, this team has way too many other, more important, priorities than linebacker.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:50 pm

Mag wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:32 pm

Wilson had a higher grade than Murray (54.4) and Queen (29.8), both taken in first round. PFF always grade LBs hard, especially linebackers.
Mag, don't bring facts to this argument we have to rely only on B1's self proclaimed expert opinion...