Bengals Roster Projection

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
stripesincarolina

Re: Bengals Roster Projection

Post by stripesincarolina » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:50 am

Well ok then! If we follow Dehner's approach we will have one key buzzword associated with every game this year. SHOOTOUT! Cuz we'll have a Top 5 offense and a bottom 3 defense.

Fix the damn offensive line and go get some help at LB on defense PLEASE!!! How many years are we going to watch other AFC North teams dominate us with their LB play? How many more years are we going to watch teams like, oh, the Bucs...advance thru the playoffs with their LB play? How many years are we going to watch Superbowl winners be a result of their outstanding defensive play??

In 2020 if our freaking defense could just hold opponents under 23 points we probably would have been sitting as a wildcard. Go find some help SoP!! :evil: :x
Seeking Superbowls

Mag

Post by Mag » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:25 am

stripesincarolina wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:50 am
Well ok then! If we follow Dehner's approach we will have one key buzzword associated with every game this year. SHOOTOUT! Cuz we'll have a Top 5 offense and a bottom 3 defense.

Fix the damn offensive line and go get some help at LB on defense PLEASE!!! How many years are we going to watch other AFC North teams dominate us with their LB play? How many more years are we going to watch teams like, oh, the Bucs...advance thru the playoffs with their LB play? How many years are we going to watch Superbowl winners be a result of their outstanding defensive play??

In 2020 if our freaking defense could just hold opponents under 23 points we probably would have been sitting as a wildcard. Go find some help SoP!! :evil: :x
We got help. The team spent 4 picks in 2 years. Are they Ray Lewis? No, but they've shown steady progression. They are all young and very athletic. I think that group is good, for now. We need way more help at more important positions.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:53 am

Mag wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:25 am
stripesincarolina wrote:

We got help. The team spent 4 picks in 2 years. Are they Ray Lewis? No, but they've shown steady progression. They are all young and very athletic. I think that group is good, for now. We need way more help at more important positions.
You're kidding right Mag? This ain't April Fools Day. Might I remind you of the PFF grades which were terrible in their own right. I could argue the results on film looked even worse. Teams continue to pick apart this defense across the middle and have for years. LB blitzes? Tackling, ugh!! Dont get me started. I would love to have the next Ray Lewis, but in reality I would have been ok if we had just made a reasonable effort. Pratt was a project from the 3rd round. Bynes was a stop gap insurance policy and some leadership in a room that was totally lost. We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

From the PFF Grade Post.....

"Linebackers remained a problem.

Our highest ended up being Logan Wilson with a 54.7 placing him in the middle at 45th out of 90
The rest are hardly worth mentioning. Bynes at 55th of 90, Pratt at 81st of 90, and Davis-Gaither at 83rd of 90."
Seeking Superbowls

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:14 am

I agree with Mag on this one, I think our LB's are young athletic and improving. I wouldn't hit the panic button on them just yet, DL and the health problems we had there all season was more of an issue for those young LB's.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:31 am

I said it before that I think Logan Wilson steadily improved as the year went on. I think he will be a decent starter for us.

Having said that I didn't see what everybody else seems to see in any of the other Linebackers. I didn't watch a whole lot of the last few games, so I didn't see the improvement that Davis-Gaither supposedly showed. If he does step up, we could have two decent starting linebackers, but I will believe it when I see it.

There is a reason that I chose Micah Parsons as my choice for pick number 5.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:05 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:53 am
Mag wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:25 am
stripesincarolina wrote:

You're kidding right Mag? This ain't April Fools Day. Might I remind you of the PFF grades which were terrible in their own right. I could argue the results on film looked even worse. Teams continue to pick apart this defense across the middle and have for years. LB blitzes? Tackling, ugh!! Dont get me started. I would love to have the next Ray Lewis, but in reality I would have been ok if we had just made a reasonable effort. Pratt was a project from the 3rd round. Bynes was a stop gap insurance policy and some leadership in a room that was totally lost. We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

From the PFF Grade Post.....

"Linebackers remained a problem.

Our highest ended up being Logan Wilson with a 54.7 placing him in the middle at 45th out of 90
The rest are hardly worth mentioning. Bynes at 55th of 90, Pratt at 81st of 90, and Davis-Gaither at 83rd of 90."
I am with you strips. The Bengals spent the last decade drafting 3rd round LB that are at best just not that good. What I saw last year was not any better.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:30 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:05 pm
I am with you strips. The Bengals spent the last decade drafting 3rd round LB that are at best just not that good. What I saw last year was not any better.
I gotta' step in here. Go back to page 7 of this site. It contains the threads from last year's draft specifically the middle rounds where we made most of our Linebacker picks.

It's full of posts from me cautioning my fellow posters to not get too excited and to be wary of small school players and players left on the board period that late in the draft. To not get too excited over them etc...

It's also full of snarky responses, particularly from Jmble, Mag and Stripes about how negative I was and why can't I just be happy with who we picked, these guys have potential, give them a chance, our coaches have seen them play... blah... blah...blah.

And now here we are.... :lol:

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:56 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:30 pm
4256 Hits wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:05 pm
I gotta' step in here. Go back to page 7 of this site. It contains the threads from last year's draft specifically the middle rounds where we made most of our Linebacker picks.

It's full of posts from me cautioning my fellow posters to not get too excited and to be wary of small school players and players left on the board period that late in the draft. To not get too excited over them etc...

It's also full of snarky responses, particularly from Jmble, Mag and Stripes about how negative I was and why can't I just be happy with who we picked, these guys have potential, give them a chance, our coaches have seen them play... blah... blah...blah.

And now here we are.... :lol:
Because you are under the impression that just because the Bengals haven't hit on small school linebackers it's not possible.

Looking at the top 25 graded linebackers on PFF I see Utah State, Arkansas State, Fresno State, Northern Iowa, Greenville, South Carolina State... Some of them went undrafted. If you want to temper your expectations, fine, but don't just act like it's a waste of a pick to try and hit on some of those small school guys.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:22 pm

Jmble wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:56 pm
Because you are under the impression that just because the Bengals haven't hit on small school linebackers it's not possible.

Looking at the top 25 graded linebackers on PFF I see Utah State, Arkansas State, Fresno State, Northern Iowa, Greenville, South Carolina State... Some of them went undrafted. If you want to temper your expectations, fine, but don't just act like it's a waste of a pick to try and hit on some of those small school guys.
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the very definition of insanity."-Albert Einstein

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:19 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:22 pm
Jmble wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:56 pm

"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the very definition of insanity."-Albert Einstein
First of all there's a lot of assuming going on here, these guys are just rookies and ppl are talking about them like their complete flops. Second of all B1 you can't apply this quote here because each player is and should be judged differently and not by the college they attend!

So there's right to apply any "I told you so" here.