Draft Talk - Cuz it's never too early...

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Joe Bananas

Re: Draft Talk - Cuz it's never too early...

Post by Joe Bananas » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:56 pm

Jmble wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:43 am
skycruiser wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:34 am
if we trade back i'm definitely warming up to Pitt. burrow needs a good TE and you can see the impact a Kelce/gronk has
I would be okay with this if, and I feel like we all probably agree, they address the Offensive Line in free agency. If we aren't able to nab at least one of the top Guards we need to be looking at either one of the top two Tackles or trading down and looking at the top Guards in the draft.

PFF's Big Board has the top Offensive Guard in the draft as Wyatt Davis from Ohio State. He's ranked 34th on their Big Board. After than is Ben Cleveland of Georgia who they have ranked at 91.

I wouldn't say we need to take Davis too early but I would say we need to be trading down with an eye on him rather than grabbing Pitts.

PFF has six tackles currently ranked in the top 32 on their Big Board. If Miami takes Sewell there are other options there as well if we trade down.

Agree. And even if we don't take a table in round 1 we could trade down, pick up Pitts, Paye, a CB or Edge and target Leatherwood, Little, Mayfield in the second.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Mag

Post by Mag » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:12 pm

Are you guys high? You don't take tight ends in the top 15. I'd go as far to say you don't spend any first round pick on a TE, ESPECIALLY if you have grievous needs at several positions WAAAAAY more important than TE, which this team does.

Zero. Let me repeat, ZERO of today's elite TEs in the NFL were taken in rd 1. Those that have been taken in rd 1 have been average players at best.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:59 am

Mag wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:12 pm
Are you guys high? You don't take tight ends in the top 15. I'd go as far to say you don't spend any first round pick on a TE, ESPECIALLY if you have grievous needs at several positions WAAAAAY more important than TE, which this team does.

Zero. Let me repeat, ZERO of today's elite TEs in the NFL were taken in rd 1. Those that have been taken in rd 1 have been average players at best.
I don't think any of us were talking about taking Pitts where we sit now. We all seem to be in favor of trading down. Even then it depends on who else is on the board, but I don't think it's as crazy as you think. If everybody thinks the way you do, then he drops to the second round, becomes the next Gronk or Kelce and becomes the next big time Tight End that wasn't taken in the first round. Kelce and Gronk may not be first round picks, but they are first round talent and nobody would be looking back at a team now and criticizing them for having taken them in the first round.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:50 am

My point mag is we are atrocious with picking first rounders so why not take a 3rd TE in the first round 🤣

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:37 pm

I want to draft a TE in the first round now just to see Mag's head explode... :lol:

Mag

Post by Mag » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:40 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:37 pm
I want to draft a TE in the first round now just to see Mag's head explode... :lol:

Oh, it would. I almost lost it with Sample. Jeez think about the stupidity of having 2 TEs each being 1st and 2nd rd picks respectively. 🤦‍♂️

If you are trading down, it's likely because Sewell and Chase are gone. Say you trade down to 12. You will still have nearly blue chip OLs like Slater, Darrishaw, and Cosmi. If it's between one of them and Pitts, you take the OL. If we by chance sign Taylor Moton and or Tuney, then you can start looking at WR, CB, and Edge. It's possible one of the Bama receivers is there, if not, you likely can take the top CB or get Paye.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:10 pm

If somehow we strike gold and end up with a HOF'er at any position I don't give a good GD where we draft him, that includes a TE in the first.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:45 pm

Mag wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:40 pm
Oh, it would. I almost lost it with Sample. Jeez think about the stupidity of having 2 TEs each being 1st and 2nd rd picks respectively. 🤦‍♂️
You're preaching to the choir on that one.

It's not that "Junior" Samples is a horrible TE. It's not that we couldn't use a good, solid blocking TE either. But "Junior" Samples in the 2nd....!?!

We could easily have gotten him in the 4th, possibly later even. :roll:

Mag

Post by Mag » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:20 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:10 pm
If somehow we strike gold and end up with a HOF'er at any position I don't give a good GD where we draft him, that includes a TE in the first.
Considering you have to go back 30 years to find one HOF caliber first rd TE, the chances aren't good.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:17 am

Mag wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:20 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:10 pm
Considering you have to go back 30 years to find one HOF caliber first rd TE, the chances aren't good.
That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, nor does it mean it can't happen this year, very closed minded thinking.