Draft Talk - Cuz it's never too early...

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Jmble

Re: Draft Talk - Cuz it's never too early...

Post by Jmble » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:07 pm

Small note, but not inconsequential, Zac Taylor has said that he will go to the Senior Bowl, but will let somebody else do the coaching this year.

TheBurn

Post by TheBurn » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:42 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:52 pm
If we go by recent history there's no reason to doubt that they will be going after O-linemen pretty hard this off-season. However I think they will be the FA's that fit into the budget, not necessarily the top tier. Not exactly what we'd all like but you take what you can get with this franchise.
i can totally see this happening :|

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:30 am

Todd McShay released his most recent mock draft today. A few surprises.

1. Jax - Trevor Lawrence
2. NYJ - Penei Sewell
3. Mia - DeVonta Smith
4. Atl - Zach Wilson
5. Cin - Rashawn Slater - OL, Northwestern

Here's what he says
Just four teams allowed more sacks than Cincinnati this season, not something you want to see right after drafting a franchise quarterback at No. 1 overall. Jonah Williams, a 2019 first-round tackle, is the only entrenched starter on the offensive line at the moment, and with Joe Burrow returning from a bad knee injury, protection will be even more important in 2021. A 2020 opt-out, Slater projects best as an interior lineman -- possibly at center -- but he also has experience at both left and right tackle. With Penei Sewell gone, Slater is the top offensive lineman on my board here and will help fix a woeful unit with growing importance to the future success of this Bengals team. But also watch for the Bengals to try to move up to get Sewell.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:43 am

Jmble wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:30 am

1. Jax - Trevor Lawrence
2. NYJ - Penei Sewell
3. Mia - DeVonta Smith
4. Atl - Zach Wilson
I'm curious who he thinks the Jets are going with at QB if they don't take one at #2.... :?

But more to the point.... I'd be thrilled to tap Slater at #5. I just have a feeling we're going to pick up at least two starting O-linemen in Free Agency and use our first pick as trade bait to gather extra picks.

Not that I'm opposed to this idea if in fact it turns out I'm right.

I think Zac knows this is a make or break year for him as our HC and he's going to be as aggressive with our cap space as upper management will allow him to be.

I expect him to at least try and maximize what leverage he has. Using our available cap space on new O-linemen and trying to get as many draft picks as possible to fill as many holes in our team as possible in one off-season.

We'll see...

Mag

Post by Mag » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:42 pm

Jmble wrote:

1. Jax - Trevor Lawrence
2. NYJ - Penei Sewell
3. Mia - DeVonta Smith
4. Atl - Zach Wilson

Here's what he says
Just four teams allowed more sacks than Cincinnati this season, not something you want to see right after drafting a franchise quarterback at No. 1 overall. Jonah Williams, a 2019 first-round tackle, is the only entrenched starter on the offensive line at the moment, and with Joe Burrow returning from a bad knee injury, protection will be even more important in 2021. A 2020 opt-out, Slater projects best as an interior lineman -- possibly at center -- but he also has experience at both left and right tackle. With Penei Sewell gone, Slater is the top offensive lineman on my board here and will help fix a woeful unit with growing importance to the future success of this Bengals team. But also watch for the Bengals to try to move up to get Sewell.
If this is how the first 4 picks go, we better trade down. There's gotta be someone loving Fields.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:53 pm

Mag wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:42 pm
Jmble wrote:

1. Jax - Trevor Lawrence
2. NYJ - Penei Sewell
3. Mia - DeVonta Smith
4. Atl - Zach Wilson

Here's what he says
If this is how the first 4 picks go, we better trade down. There's gotta be someone loving Fields.
Exactly what I was going to type but I had never heard this before "Slater projects best as an interior lineman -- possibly at center" if that is the case no way in hell do you take him at 5. If somebody doesn't want Fields somebody will want the WR from LSU and be willing to trade up.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:18 pm

Yeah I can't see Slater going at 5. Maybe 15 or 20th.

You don't take an OT that "may be an interior lineman in the NFL" at 5. Jeezus.

Take Chase. They comparing him to Steve Smith and Anquan Bolden. How can you go wrong with either one of them. I'm saying if Sewell is gone by 5, which chances are he will be, we better have a helluva plan B!

Number 5 you get an impact player. Number 5 you don't someone who needs to transition into a different position because basically he's not well suited for the one he played in college.

I'm all for Smith, Chase, Sewell or Parsons at 5. Surtain is good, don't get me wrong but watch out for Asante Samuel Jr in the second round. Kid can play!
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:24 pm

You also don't base your draft picks in any round based on some beat writers opinion.

I've seen nothing but praise for Slater on the Mock Draft sites. Several have mentioned how he easily handled Chase Young in the BIG10 Championship game last year. Pretty good credentials by anyone's standards.

And he played Tackle in college, both Right and Left positions. At least one draft site actually had an article claiming Slater was a better pick than Sewell!!

Sheesh.... one guy on the net says in his opinion he projects better to Guard or Center and you guys are ready to toss out the baby with the bathwater.

No offense Meat. ;)
Last edited by Bengals1 on Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:26 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:24 pm
You also don't base your draft picks in any round based on some beat writers opinion.

I've seen nothing but praise for Slater on the Mock Draft sites. Several have mentioned how he easily handled Chase Young in the BIG10 Championship game last year. Pretty good credentials by anyone's standards.

And he played Tackle in college, both Right and Left positions.

Sheesh.... one guy on the net says in his opinion he projects better to Guard or Center and you guys are ready to toss the baby out with the bathwater.

No offense Meat. :idea:
I think I'm still shell-shocked from the Billy Price, Ugaboogie, and other busts.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:40 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:24 pm

And he played Tackle in college, both Right and Left positions. At least one draft site actually had an article claiming Slater was a better pick than Sewell!!

Sheesh.... one guy on the net says in his opinion he projects better to Guard or Center and you guys are ready to toss out the baby with the bathwater.

No offense Meat. ;)
Forgive me but wasn't last years BIG 10 championship game between Wisconsin and OSU?

They might have met in the regular season though.

Personally it's really early guys and we have to see what the kid does at the combine. I'm not going to over or under sell him just yet. Do some youtube research on him, you can get almost every snap there and judge. I'm sure he's very good, and he might be someone we could trade down for I don't know it's still very early.