Report: Zac to oversee major coaching shakeup.

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

Re: Report: Zac to oversee major coaching shakeup.

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:49 pm

And now there's this... :?

Speculation Building on Zac Taylor's Future:

[https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/gameday/ ... ors-future]

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:33 pm

I'd like to think that SoP has at least reached out to Zimmer to say hey, once the dust settles after week 17 lets talk. But I just dont know. Zimmer has been floated as a HC since Marvin left. And he's certainly had some success in Minny. But is he really "that" good. Is he a must have?

My gut says there are younger guys that deserve a shot and that Zac was a reach. But my head says that we need a veteran right now to right the ship, give leadership to Burrow and reset the attitude in the locker room. If Zimmer is available I say lets roll the dice. We could do far worse.
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:56 pm

How 'bout Zim back at defensive coordinator if he gets fired and doesn't get a HC offer...?

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:23 pm

No brainer assuming he doesnt have a HC gig. But isnt he staying in Minny? I didnt realize he was on the block there.
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:13 pm

Sounds like Zimmer is likely staying in Minnesota. That could change but that's the way the media is leaning right now.

Curious how you guys would feel about chasing Urban Meyer if they do decide to move on from Taylor.

Ohio native, Cincinnati Alum, former Cincinnati Bearcat player, his wife's family is from and still lives in Cincinnati. His son walked on the Bearcats football team as a Wide Receiver this year and also has been playing baseball for the Bearcats.

There's a lot of non-football reasons that Meyer would be a great fit in Cincinnati. Would he want to coach Joe Burrow who he recruited and coached at Ohio State for three years before Burrow transferred? Is there any reason that it wouldn't be more desirable than coaching the Jaguars?

It just feels right to me. All the more reason it won't happen, but it still feels right.

Hey, if we can't fantasize about next season the day after the end of a terrible year, when can we? lol

Exile

Post by Exile » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:19 pm

Honestly, I'd be surprised if they fire Taylor. Not saying they shouldn't, but I think the only way they would pull the trigger is if Mike was sure he had someone that he's comfortable with lined up (like, say, if Zimmer got the hook in Minny). I think there are a lot of reasons why Taylor will get the benefit of the doubt, from loads of injuries and the weird preseason to the difficulties they had assembling the staff in the first place because of how late he was hired, to the fact that it doesn't seem like he's lost the locker room (at least not all of it). I also suspect that Taylor's youth might play into giving him more time--when you're hiring someone who seems like an up-and-comer, you've got to know that no matter how smart or talented he may be, he's likely to make some rookie mistakes. If a guy who's been a head coach for 10 years somewhere else comes in and stinks it up, that's probably just who he is, a bad coach or a bad fit or your organization. But I think Mike is willing to bank on giving Zac a chance to grow into the role.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:30 pm

What Exile said.

Although Meyer IS from Toledo. ;)

Exile

Post by Exile » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:34 pm

Jmble wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:13 pm
Sounds like Zimmer is likely staying in Minnesota. That could change but that's the way the media is leaning right now.

Curious how you guys would feel about chasing Urban Meyer if they do decide to move on from Taylor.

Ohio native, Cincinnati Alum, former Cincinnati Bearcat player, his wife's family is from and still lives in Cincinnati. His son walked on the Bearcats football team as a Wide Receiver this year and also has been playing baseball for the Bearcats.

There's a lot of non-football reasons that Meyer would be a great fit in Cincinnati. Would he want to coach Joe Burrow who he recruited and coached at Ohio State for three years before Burrow transferred? Is there any reason that it wouldn't be more desirable than coaching the Jaguars?

It just feels right to me. All the more reason it won't happen, but it still feels right.

Hey, if we can't fantasize about next season the day after the end of a terrible year, when can we? lol
I mean, I guess if he would take the job, I'd feel pretty good about it. He's a proven winner in this sport, and I think he's the kind of guy who can hire well (mostly--he had a few shitty hires at OSU) and manage a program and build a winning culture. I loved him at OSU.

But I really don't see Meyer taking any NFL job. First, he's too competitive, you could see how hard he took every loss, and any NFL team that's going to hire him is going to lose enough in his first year that he'll have a stroke before the season's over. Second, it seems like he's really taking to the role of analyst at Fox--I think he's good at it and it's a lot easier on his health than coaching ever was.

And I'm not even sure how well his skillset transfers over to the NFL. Like I said before, I do think he's a good manager and culture builder, but a lot of his success in college coaching comes down to his ability to recruit and to the ability of his staff to develop players. I think early on his offensive scheme was cutting edge and won him a lot of games even without the top players, but by the end of his time at OSU it seemed like his offense was getting obsolete or he was too set in his ways and it wasn't until Ryan Day came in and retooled that it started humming again. And developing players in the NFL isn't the same as developing players at a top college program, where you have a lot more influence on who those guys are that you bring in and where they're at a very different point in their development.

But I guess the real question, if he would take the job, would be how long he would be able to sustain it? I know Florida fans like to mock his health concerns as an excuse to quit, but I think it's telling that despite all the talk of having a more balanced approach to maintain his health at Ohio State, he still ended up leaving because of pretty clear health issues tied to the stresses of coaching. Which goes back to why I don't think he'll take any NFL job, but also I think you'd have to be worried if he did take the job whether he would be able to stay with it.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:48 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:49 pm
And now there's this... :?

Speculation Building on Zac Taylor's Future:

[https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/gameday/ ... ors-future]
That's James Rapien from 700 wlw. He was Mo Eggers side kick hack. He was known to stir up shit on radio for a few years. Always coming with off the wall shit. I don't trust 25% of what he says or reports.

Plus you can't say one day that Taylor's seeing an over haul on the coaching staff (meaning it was already decided he would be back) and now saying his future is in doubt. It doesn't make any sense to post any of it.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

TheBurn

Post by TheBurn » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:10 am

Cincinnati Bengals ☑️ @Bengals

“Our fans wanted a fresh new direction two years ago, and that is what we aimed to do in hiring a bright, energetic head coach in Zac Taylor. We remain bullish on the foundation Zac is building, and we look forward to next year giving our fans the winning results we all want… We must capitalize on opportunities in front of us. Next year we will earn our stripes.” – Mike Brown

10:00 AM · Jan 4, 2021·Twitter for Advertisers