The Athletic Mock Draft

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Mag

Re: The Athletic Mock Draft

Post by Mag » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:33 pm

Exile wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:53 pm
In the mock, they have Miami taking Chase from LSU, but they could well take Sewell. They have the Falcons taking Sewell, but they could well take the kid from Northwestern. Or the Jets could grab one of those linemen as well. Who would be the pick in that case? Chase? Pitts?

Next players they have are:

Smith, WR from Bama
Fields, QB from tOSU
Farley, CB from VaTech
Lance, QB from NDSU
Parsons, LB from PSU

Perhaps there’s an opportunity to trade down if someone wants to grab a QB, but I don’t think any of those QBs are can’t-miss guys.
First and foremost, you look to trade down. You have 2 top QBs available. And based on this scenario there should be a half dozen or so players of similar value that could help the team. Either one of Smith or Farley if you stay put. Perhaps Slater or whomever is the next OT. Perhaps the top edge player if one rises up the board.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:27 pm

Mag wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:51 pm
The Pitt conversation is interesting. Everyone for picking him argue how important Kelce, Kittle, and Waller are to their teams. While that may be true, none were first rounders. Going back neither, Gronk, Graham, Andrews, Kelce, Kittle, Waller, or Witten were first rounders. Eifert was good, but injury prone. Gresham, Ebron, Ertz haven't been much more than OK.
Then you have the chicken or the egg argument Deadcat used to bring up. That using a high pick on a pass catching TE was a waste because we don't utilize the TE that way.

I'd always counter argue we would if we had one that could catch the ball consistently. :roll:

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:59 pm

Assuming we address the O-line in free agency how does everyone feel about Alabama’s CB Patrick Surtain...?

Joe the Sot

Post by Joe the Sot » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:49 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:59 pm
Assuming we address the O-line in free agency how does everyone feel about Alabama’s CB Patrick Surtain...?
If he is as good as his dad was? I seem to remember him being very good for Miami for many years.
That being said this is if online is sorted.

Mag

Post by Mag » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:06 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:27 pm
Mag wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:51 pm
The Pitt conversation is interesting. Everyone for picking him argue how important Kelce, Kittle, and Waller are to their teams. While that may be true, none were first rounders. Going back neither, Gronk, Graham, Andrews, Kelce, Kittle, Waller, or Witten were first rounders. Eifert was good, but injury prone. Gresham, Ebron, Ertz haven't been much more than OK.
Then you have the chicken or the egg argument Deadcat used to bring up. That using a high pick on a pass catching TE was a waste because we don't utilize the TE that way.

I'd always counter argue we would if we had one that could catch the ball consistently. :roll:
. My argument has nothing to do with utilization. I'm simply stating the fact that you're wasting a first round pick if you draft a TE. In the last 15 years, Vernon Davis and Eifert are the best I can think of and Eifert was injury prone. All the greats, EVERY SINGLE ONE, Gates, Witten, Graham, Gronk, Hernandez, Kelce, Kittle, Andrews, Waller we're not first round picks. I have to go back to 1997 with Tony Gonzales, 2003 with Dallas Clark, and 2005 with Heath Miller to find a first round TE that became elite.

TEs typically take 2-3 years to develop. With that as the case, find them later in the draft and develop them.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:47 am

Agree with mag...give me jaylon waddle in the first

Just hoping they take money from aj, geno, John Ross, Carlos and put it into an OT & resigning Carl Lawson. Opens up a ton of options in the draft to address OT in FA

Mag

Post by Mag » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:24 pm

skycruiser wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:47 am
Agree with mag...give me jaylon waddle in the first

Just hoping they take money from aj, geno, John Ross, Carlos and put it into an OT & resigning Carl Lawson. Opens up a ton of options in the draft to address OT in FA
As the Bama guy, Smith>Waddle, though I'd be happy with either. Would take Chase too, but have concerns about the year off.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:39 pm

Sewell
Pitts
Chase

Or bust
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:02 pm

Edit; I forgot about Davante Smith from UA. I'd pick him over Chase.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:27 pm

Officially lobbying for Devonta smith in the first