The Athletic Mock Draft

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Jmble

The Athletic Mock Draft

Post by Jmble » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:28 am

Hey all. Been awhile. Sorry I dropped the ball on the PFF grades. I came down with COVID and spent a week in the hospital on oxygen (Not a ventilator thank God) and then the day I came home from the hospital, Burrow went down and it kind of took all my enthusiasm away.

The boys have looked surprisingly decent the last two weeks. I always enjoy seeing them win even though I hate losing draft position and i think it's safe to say Taylor's job is probably safe now.

Anyway, we are currently in the fifth spot. Depending on next week we can draft as high as 3 or as low as 10.

The Athletic did a top 10 mock draft today with the current draft order and I thought you'd all get a kick out of this.

They have the Bengals drafting Tight End Kyle Pitts out of Florida.
A tight end drafted this high is rare, but Pitts is a rare prospect. And watching Darren Waller dominate for the Raiders should provide the Bengals with the blueprint for what a talent like that can do for the offense. Pitts has the athletic traits to create his own separation, but also the ball skills and catch radius to make plays over defensive backs – even when he is covered, he is open. Although this pick isn’t an offensive lineman, something tells me Joe Burrow would be pretty happy with this addition.

If the Bengals are determined to address the offensive line and Sewell is off the board, Northwestern’s Rashawn Slater is the next-best blocking prospect in this draft class and it wouldn’t be a reach to draft him in the top-10 picks.
I'm not going to argue whether he's a good player or not. I'm sure he's a great Tight End, but I think we can all agree that isn't where the Bengals should be going even as low as 10.

Bengals1

Re: The Athletic Mock Draft

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:40 pm

Don't reserve all the credit for your miraculous improvement for yourself. It was my constant jabs on messenger that kept you going. ;)

But nice to know you pulled through regardless. 8-)

And yeah, I saw this earlier today and felt the same as you. Interesting to note, this is not the first mock I've seen in the last few weeks that has us tapping Pitts. Apparently lots of draft "Experts" feel TE is a position of need for the Bengals.

I'd much rather take Slater from Northwestern if Peenie is off the board.

Joe the Sot

Post by Joe the Sot » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:41 pm

With the titanic SECOND ROUND pick Drew ‘the paint’ Sample on the roster, surely we are set for 15 years at TE... oh no he was a 6th rounder taken in the second.
Reminds me a bit of the hype on Tyler Eifert who was indeed great, until he broke, but would like to see a decent online for Joe x2, not fussed if this is draft or free agency but just needs to be addressed.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:04 pm

Let's not forget Jermaine Gresham drafted in the first round just a few short years before using another first on Eifert.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:59 pm

Jmble wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:04 pm
Let's not forget Jermaine Gresham drafted in the first round just a few short years before using another first on Eifert.
Our relentless search for a pass catching TE has more ups and downs than Monty Python's search for the Holy Grail. :roll:

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:38 pm

Have y’all seen Pitts? He is a MONSTER. We have more glaring needs but he’s a kelce Gronk type. Dominate

If the jets don’t go OT, which there is a good chance they won’t, alt and Houston aren’t likely to. Penile could easily make it to 5. Slater shut down chase young last year so he would make a nice addition

But we also need DE, DT and a starting WR sooo

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:50 pm

skycruiser wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:38 pm
Have y’all seen Pitts? He is a MONSTER. We have more glaring needs but he’s a kelce Gronk type. Dominate

If the jets don’t go OT, which there is a good chance they won’t, alt and Houston aren’t likely to. Penile could easily make it to 5. Slater shut down chase young last year so he would make a nice addition

Houston doesn't have a draft pick. They traded their pick to Miami.

Miami has the 29th ranked Offensive Line according to at least one site I looked at.

PFF has Miami's two starting tackles both graded under Jonah Williams and Bobby Hart.
If Miami passes on Sewell, I will be shocked.

CincyBobcat

Post by CincyBobcat » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:31 pm

Jmble wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:50 pm
skycruiser wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:38 pm

Houston doesn't have a draft pick. They traded their pick to Miami.

Miami has the 29th ranked Offensive Line according to at least one site I looked at.

PFF has Miami's two starting tackles both graded under Jonah Williams and Bobby Hart.
If Miami passes on Sewell, I will be shocked.
I could the Fins go WR, grabbing Chase from LSU, but that could be my false hope kicking in.

Mag

Post by Mag » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:51 pm

The Pitt conversation is interesting. Everyone for picking him argue how important Kelce, Kittle, and Waller are to their teams. While that may be true, none were first rounders. Going back neither, Gronk, Graham, Andrews, Kelce, Kittle, Waller, or Witten were first rounders. Eifert was good, but injury prone. Gresham, Ebron, Ertz haven't been much more than OK.

Exile

Post by Exile » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:53 pm

In the mock, they have Miami taking Chase from LSU, but they could well take Sewell. They have the Falcons taking Sewell, but they could well take the kid from Northwestern. Or the Jets could grab one of those linemen as well. Who would be the pick in that case? Chase? Pitts?

Next players they have are:

Smith, WR from Bama
Fields, QB from tOSU
Farley, CB from VaTech
Lance, QB from NDSU
Parsons, LB from PSU

Perhaps there’s an opportunity to trade down if someone wants to grab a QB, but I don’t think any of those QBs are can’t-miss guys.