Joe B - Irving Kanarek Lawyer who defended Charlie Manson dead at 100

Talk about non Bengals stuff

Joe Bananas

Re: Joe B - Irving Kanarek Lawyer who defended Charlie Manson dead at 100

Post by Joe Bananas » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:51 pm

I always wondered what happened to him. I always kept up with other older lawyers like F Lee Bailey and such but never this guy. R.I.P
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:16 pm

Hey, he made it to 100.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:29 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:16 pm
Hey, he made it to 100.
Surprisingly yes. Didn't one of the lawyers they assign or the manson family hired end up going missing like after day 1 or something? Maybe it was the lawyer who was assigned to the family member who tried to kill one of the kennedys.

Well, so much for that mumbo jumbo, think my point is wasn't there a lawyer who went missing during the time of the trails that had somwthing to do with Charlie and family??

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:13 pm

Joe Bananas wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:29 pm
Didn't one of the lawyers they assign or the manson family hired end up going missing like after day 1 or something? Maybe it was the lawyer who was assigned to the family member who tried to kill one of the kennedys.

Well, so much for that mumbo jumbo, think my point is wasn't there a lawyer who went missing during the time of the trails that had somwthing to do with Charlie and family??
You're thinking of Ronald Hughes. He was a big, young, burley lawyer with a beard. He was referred to as the "hippie" lawyer by the press due to his familiarity with the hippie culture.

Originally he was hired to defend Manson specifically but he clashed with Charlie over the direction of the defense so Manson fired him a few weeks into the trial. He was then assigned to defend Leslie Van Houten but again, he clashed with Charlie when he discovered Manson's plan to have the girls take the rap.

During the Thanksgiving recess Hughes took the opportunity to go camping in Central California. He never returned. When the trial resumed he was replaced with another lawyer, one that was more willing to go along with Charlie's plans.

Several months later Hughes badly decomposed body was found wedged between two boulders in a river bed. The authorities ruled he'd drowned during one of the flash floods that had hit the camp grounds during the time he was last seen alive there.

Rumors began almost immediately that he had become another victim of the Manson Family and several of the Manson girls sitting outside the courthouse fed into it by claiming he was the first of the "retaliation" murders.

It should be noted that no evidence has ever surfaced that Hughes death was anything but an unfortunate accident. The Sheriff's Office still lists it as an accident. Nevertheless, many people still believe the Family had a hand in his death despite the lack of any hard evidence of their involvement. It should also be noted that the Manson people claimed as many as 30-40 murders despite the fact that no evidence that that many people associated with the Manson Family disappeared has ever surfaced.

In my opinion, Hughes death was just what it looked like, an unfortunate, coincidental accident. But of course you're free to believe whatever you'd like.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:58 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:13 pm
Joe Bananas wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:29 pm
Didn't one of the lawyers they assign or the manson family hired end up going missing like after day 1 or something? Maybe it was the lawyer who was assigned to the family member who tried to kill one of the kennedys.

You're thinking of Ronald Hughes. He was a big, young, burley lawyer with a beard. He was referred to as the "hippie" lawyer by the press due to his familiarity with the hippie culture.

Originally he was hired to defend Manson specifically but he clashed with Charlie over the direction of the defense so Manson fired him a few weeks into the trial. He was then assigned to defend Leslie Van Houten but again, he clashed with Charlie when he discovered Manson's plan to have the girls take the rap.

During the Thanksgiving recess Hughes took the opportunity to go camping in Central California. He never returned. When the trial resumed he was replaced with another lawyer, one that was more willing to go along with Charlie's plans.

Several months later Hughes badly decomposed body was found wedged between two boulders in a river bed. The authorities ruled he'd drowned during one of the flash floods that had hit the camp grounds during the time he was last seen alive there.

Rumors began almost immediately that he had become another victim of the Manson Family and several of the Manson girls sitting outside the courthouse fed into it by claiming he was the first of the "retaliation" murders.

It should be noted that no evidence has ever surfaced that Hughes death was anything but an unfortunate accident. The Sheriff's Office still lists it as an accident. Nevertheless, many people still believe the Family had a hand in his death despite the lack of any hard evidence of their involvement. It should also be noted that the Manson people claimed as many as 30-40 murders despite the fact that no evidence that that many people associated with the Manson Family disappeared has ever surfaced.

In my opinion, Hughes death was just what it looked like, an unfortunate, coincidental accident. But of course you're free to believe whatever you'd like.
Oh ok. I can see that B. Thanks for the clarification. I had never heard that story of him drowning or for that fact being found. Nice read B