FA Thoughts

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
stripesincarolina

FA Thoughts

Post by stripesincarolina » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:41 pm

Starting this thread to solely discuss ideas around FA pickups. Saw one today that I found interesting so lets kick this around.

The Panthers are turning loose Devin Funchess. He did not have a great year this year, missed the last game as a healthy scratch, but was very solid in 2017 with 800-900 yards I believe in a heavy run offense. I watched this guy come up huge against us with big moment catches in our 2018 loss. I truly believe he could be signed cheaply and would immediately be a solid #3 receiver ahead of Erickson. Ditch Cody Core and I would be quite happy going into the season with the WR crew we have. We need solid depth there, not superstars.

I honestly hope we dont waste a single pick on WR this year although I know we probably will.
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins

4256 Hits

Re: FA Thoughts

Post by 4256 Hits » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:59 pm

The last area this team needs to spend FA dollars is at WR. Please spend those dollars at LB or OL and possible TE.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:15 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:59 pm
The last area this team needs to spend FA dollars is at WR. Please spend those dollars at LB or OL and possible TE.
I completely disagree!

After Green we have Boyd, after Boyd have have no one that has stepped up. We need a solid number 2 cause I strongly believe Boyd is more of a slot WR then a #2. Core, Ross, other no names haven't made enough of an impact to warrant not spending money on a good WR.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:07 pm

Meat and I will lock arms on this one. I dont need an unknown 4th rounder, I need a known producer that can step up when needed. There may be answers besides Funchess, but he's probably as good as any for the price.

Aceking
Site Admin

Post by Aceking » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:49 pm

I wouldn't mind a FA WR at the right price. Something akin to the Brandon LaFell deal.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:56 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:15 pm
4256 Hits wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:59 pm
I completely disagree!

After Green we have Boyd, after Boyd have have no one that has stepped up. We need a solid number 2 cause I strongly believe Boyd is more of a slot WR then a #2. Core, Ross, other no names haven't made enough of an impact to warrant not spending money on a good WR.
Ross did catch 7 TD and Mixon and Benard are both very good pass catchers. Plus missing two top TE and need to remember the last half of the year played with a QB that should be getting ready to play in XFL. So little chance for WR to look good. I do agree that please do not spend a mid round pick on WR would rather see Tate get a chance than do that.

Reminder they had the worst Defense in the league last year so that is where the biggest upgrades need to happen. They played most of the year w/o a LB that would not have started on nearly all other teams in the league.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:35 pm

All good points! But my concern is a repeat of last season where we lost literally all depth and were relying heavily on Cody Core to draw coverage and catch passes. We need some depth for sure.

Supposedly Mixon and Gio will get a lot more touches in this offense which I am very eager to see. I do not expect to make it to opening day with both Tylers at TE. One of them is gone in FA for sure. And if Eiffert is the one left we 100% need to draft a new TE. If Kroft is the one left, maybe 70% need to draft a TE.

You cant count on Green anymore to play 16 games. That toe, while they say it is good to go, has been forever problematic.

So bottom line, adding a mid quality weapon to Andy's offense would be great by me. Otherwise, Oline all the way. We already have two 1000 yard WR, an AFC rushing champion, one of the best TEs around when healthy, and a #2 RB that could start on a lot of teams.

Mag

Post by Mag » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:29 am

A lot depends on how this new staff values Boyd and Green. Boyd may think he's worth 10 mil plus. Green is over 30 and has had a tough time staying healthy. Since I don't know much about the new system, it's hard to see what they want at that position.

That all being said, it's tough to have too much money invested at one position group. If you're going to keep paying Green and extend Boyd, that likely prevents you from seeking a starter caliber FA. Also, how much faith do they have in Ross? Seems like they have plans for him.

This is also a deep draft for receivers. I think you can get a potential starter in rounds 2 through 4. I think we see at least see 2 receivers drafted with one as easily as round 2 or 3. Maybe round 1.

FA priority definitely needs to be LB and OL. We have about 50 mil in cap. Add another 7 mil if they cut Burfict. I can see us landing quality starters at both position groups with that money. Also need to use some of that to sign or replace Dennard.

My list:

Jordan Hicks LB- 3 down LB with Cincy ties. $6-8 mil.
JaWuan James OT- 10 mil. Good young OL. Has Miami connection. Probably too big a fish for the Bengals, by if they have a desire to splurge, this is the guy.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:50 pm

Somehow we got away from a general FA thread and started new threads for each discussion. (I'm guilty as charged). So I'll try to bring this thread back into action.

Raiders released McCarron. Bring him back immediately, dont overthink this one. Cut what you have and get him now.

Matt Kahlil has been released by Carolina. Missed last season due to injury but was fairly solid LT prior to that. I'd would at least explore the idea of bringing him in and shifting to RT. We could bulk up quick if he's ready to play. Vikings fans still throwing shade at him as a bad pickup. Says he has no heart for the game.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:19 pm

Bengals are signing BW Webb CB from the Giants. Provides a cushion for negotiations with Dennard if they dont work out. Meh....