Bengals Worst Draft Picks of the last Ten Years

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Jmble

Bengals Worst Draft Picks of the last Ten Years

Post by Jmble » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:52 pm

B1 asked me to post this over the weekend but I wasn't logged into my Athletic account at home and I just remembered today.

This is the same as the list of best draft picks.

Four Bengals Athletic Writers Rank the worst picks from 1 to 10 with First place getting 10 points, second place getting 9 points, and so on...

1. Cedric Ogbuehi, First Round, No. 21 overall, 2015 (Unanimous 40 points)
2. John Ross, First Round, No. 9 overall, 2017 (29 Points)
3. Malik Jefferson, Third Round, No. 78 overall, 2018 (26 points)
4. Paul Dawson, (Who?), Third Round, No. 99 overall, 2015 (21 points) No really, who? I don't even remember this guy.
5. Jake Fisher, Second Round, No. 53 overall, 2015 (20 points)
6. Billy Price, First Round, No. 21 overall, 2018 (18 points)
7. Mark Walton, Fourth Round, No. 112 overall, 2018 (17 points)
8. Margus Hunt, Second Round, No. 53 overall, 2013 (12 points)
9. Darqueze Dennard, First Round, No. 24 overall, 2014 (7 points)
10. Marcus Hardison, Fourth Round, No. 135 overall, 2015 (4 points)
11. Devon Still, Second Round, No. 53 overall, 2012 (4 points) Whoever voted for him is a Heartless Bastard.
12. Will Clarke, Third Round, No. 88 overall, 2014 (4 points)
13. Sean Porter, Fourth Round, No. 118 overall, 2013 (3 points)
14. Dontay Moch, Third Round, No. 66 overall, 2011 (3 points)
15. Jordan Willis, Third Round, No. 73 overall, 2017 (1 point)

Reminder, the 2015 draft was bad.

Also, I forgot John Ross was a high as the 9th overall pick. Good Lord. Taken right before Mahomes, Lattimore, and Watson with the next three picks.

Joe Bananas

Re: Bengals Worst Draft Picks of the last Ten Years

Post by Joe Bananas » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:59 pm

Dawson played for TCU and was considered a thumper at LB.

I don't really consider anything past a 4th round busts...3rd...ehhhhh......maybe...maybe. But definitely 1st and 2nds..

This is the reason we are 2-14 folks. That's all...
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:14 pm

I'd forgotten about Margus Hunt! Now here's what I've been saying about the Bungles horrible draft strategy all rolled into one pick.

Margus was from Eastern Europe as his name suggests. He never played football in his life before going to college in America on a Track & Field scholarship. On a lark he tried out for his colleges football team and based purely on his size and raw atheleticsim made the team.

He started one year in college and blocked a bunch of kicks earning him the nickname The Eastern Block. Every draft expert had him as no better than a 5th or 6th round pick coming out of college assuming they'd even heard of him at all.

So what does Marvelous Marvin Lewis do? He wastes a 2nd rounder on the big lug. A 2nd rounder!!!

Don't get wrong, if Marvin thought he spotted a diamond in the rough and wanted to take a flyer on him in the 6th or 7th round just to see what he could do with him I wouldn't have batted an eye.

But a 2nd round pick!?! Who else did he seriously think was going after him???? I mean just......AAARRRGGHHH!!!!! :x

And you wonder why I hold my breath every time we're on the clock.... :roll:

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:29 pm

Joe Bananas wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:59 pm
Dawson played for TCU and was considered a thumper at LB.
I didn't recognize the name at all so looked him up.
Rookie played in 11 games with 12 tackles
2nd year 2 and 1
3rd in Sea 3 and 3

Most likely it was all on Special teams. He must have been terrible

Mag

Post by Mag » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:07 am

I would not put Fisher or Denard on the list. They were good picks from a value standpoint at the time but had health issues. Still was considered a steal at the time. I wonder if his daughter was not sick, allowing him to focus on football, if his career would been different.

A name that needs to be on the list is Jeremy Hill. While he flashed early, he made the most costly mistake in team history. Everyone loves to blame Pacman and Burfict for the 2015 loss. Those 2 had MVP performances in that game. If Hill simply held onto the ball on that last drive, we win. Hill goes on to struggle in New England, and I think he's out of the league.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:39 am

Mag wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:07 am
I would not put Fisher or Denard on the list. They were good picks from a value standpoint at the time but had health issues. Still was considered a steal at the time. I wonder if his daughter was not sick, allowing him to focus on football, if his career would been different.

A name that needs to be on the list is Jeremy Hill. While he flashed early, he made the most costly mistake in team history. Everyone loves to blame Pacman and Burfict for the 2015 loss. Those 2 had MVP performances in that game. If Hill simply held onto the ball on that last drive, we win. Hill goes on to struggle in New England, and I think he's out of the league.
I believe Still could barely get on the field before his daughter got sick. He just didn't have the skills.

I agree completely about Hill that is a name I tried to block from my memory bank.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:01 am

Mag wrote:

See, I definitely think Fisher needs to be in the list. He was a second round and after 2 yrs tried him at TE cause he wasnt good enough to play oline.

I agree about Dennard though
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Mag

Post by Mag » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:12 pm

Joe Bananas wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:01 am
Mag wrote:

See, I definitely think Fisher needs to be in the list. He was a second round and after 2 yrs tried him at TE cause he wasnt good enough to play oline.

I agree about Dennard though
That tried him at TE because he had a tough time keeping on weight due to his condition.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:44 pm

Mag wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:12 pm
That tried him at TE because he had a tough time keeping on weight due to his condition.
The condition of sucking... :roll: