Last Jedi (Spoilers)

Talk about whatever is on your mind.

Last Jedi (Spoilers)

Postby Mag » December 19th, 2017, 10:25 am

This is for you, Meat. I couldn't reply adequately without spoiling for those who have yet to see it.

I didn't like it. While it had some cool moments and it was beautifully made, the writing was hot garbage. We are two full movies into the new trilogy, and I know almost nothing more about the main characters than I did two years ago. I get the concept of putting the past behind us and passing the torch, but at least do so with a good, coherent story.

The story did not make sense. This movie took place almost immediately after The Force Awakens. We left off with the resistance just destroying the main weapon and main base of the First Order. The Resistance had the upper hand, but are all of a sudden reduced to a few ships and no support from the rest of the galaxy? That doesn't make much sense. How did they go from the upper hand to being against the ropes? Add in the weird mutiny, the pointless trip to Canto Bight, and the weird super Leia moment and the whole background story just floundered in confusion. All that time was given to those moments, and it did little to advance the story. All it did was take away from the Luke/Rey/Kylo stories.

I didn't care for the reason why Luke became a recluse. How does a guy who risked everything to save his friends, the galaxy, and Darth Vader decide to give up so easily on his nephew? This is the son of his best friend and twin sister. They made Luke out to be a gigantic coward.

Rey spent most of her time with Luke being ignored, but she is all of a sudden one of the most skilled Jedi in history? Again, that doesn't make sense. It took Luke years to get to where he was in Return of the Jedi, and Rey is already better. Makes no sense.

The build up of Snoke and Phasma as big bad villains, only to be tossed aside was disappointing. General Hux has turned into a buffoon. Now the First order is being led by Kylo and Hux. Both twenty-something year olds. One of which is now a buffoon. Are you really telling me these two are kicking the shit our of a fleet led by Leia and Akbar? This now buffoon, Hux, and Kylo are responsible for taking out Akbar and his fleet and nearly killing Leia? Makes not sense.

Lastly, I was disappointed in Rey not being a Skywalker. They built up so much hype in who her parents were. Telling us they were nobodies was a let down. I get and appreciate them trying to say that anyone can be a hero, and that you do not have to be a Skywalker. It is a nice sentiment. On the other hand, in the Force Awakens, you have Lor San Tekka living on her planet. He is the only one with the info on Luke's whereabouts. That info just happens to fall into the hands of Rey, the one force sensitive person on the planet. She just so happens to escape on the Millennium Falcon, only to get captured by Han and Chewy. Han just so happens to take her to a planet and a bar that just so happens to have Luke's lightsaber in the basement. The same lightsaber that fell down a shaft in the Cloud City 30 plus years ago. This same lightsaber then calls to Rey and later chooses Rey during her end fight with Kylo. So all this was a screaming pile of coincidence? Lame.

There were some good moments. I liked the fight with the red guards. I liked the moments that Luke had on the Falcon. The final scene with Luke coming to the rescue at the end was good, although I think it would've been better if he came in person and the fight between him and Kylo would have been real. I would have been fine if Luke still died. One thing that most fans loved about Rogue One was seeing Vader at the end in all his power being unleashed. My favorite part of the maligned prequels was seeing Yoda fight. It was a missed opportunity not showing a fully trained old master Luke Skywalker take on Kylo. It was also a beautifully made movie with top tier effects. I can see why some liked it. It just misses on the story.

I think they have too many writers and directors with too much control over each individual story. Nothing is coherent. Perhaps it'll all come together in the 3rd movie. I don't know.

I would rank this movie below the prequels. I went and rewatched the Phantom Menace the other day. While it had some annoyances, it was still a way more coherent story. The characters were so much more charismatic from the getgo.
Mag

Re: Last Jedi (Spoilers)

Postby MeatHeadbengal » December 19th, 2017, 1:58 pm

Mag wrote:This is for you, Meat. I couldn't reply adequately without spoiling for those who have yet to see it.

I didn't like it. While it had some cool moments and it was beautifully made, the writing was hot garbage. We are two full movies into the new trilogy, and I know almost nothing more about the main characters than I did two years ago. I get the concept of putting the past behind us and passing the torch, but at least do so with a good, coherent story.

The story did not make sense. This movie took place almost immediately after The Force Awakens. We left off with the resistance just destroying the main weapon and main base of the First Order. The Resistance had the upper hand, but are all of a sudden reduced to a few ships and no support from the rest of the galaxy? That doesn't make much sense. How did they go from the upper hand to being against the ropes? Add in the weird mutiny, the pointless trip to Canto Bight, and the weird super Leia moment and the whole background story just floundered in confusion. All that time was given to those moments, and it did little to advance the story. All it did was take away from the Luke/Rey/Kylo stories.

I didn't care for the reason why Luke became a recluse. How does a guy who risked everything to save his friends, the galaxy, and Darth Vader decide to give up so easily on his nephew? This is the son of his best friend and twin sister. They made Luke out to be a gigantic coward.

Rey spent most of her time with Luke being ignored, but she is all of a sudden one of the most skilled Jedi in history? Again, that doesn't make sense. It took Luke years to get to where he was in Return of the Jedi, and Rey is already better. Makes no sense.

The build up of Snoke and Phasma as big bad villains, only to be tossed aside was disappointing. General Hux has turned into a buffoon. Now the First order is being led by Kylo and Hux. Both twenty-something year olds. One of which is now a buffoon. Are you really telling me these two are kicking the shit our of a fleet led by Leia and Akbar? This now buffoon, Hux, and Kylo are responsible for taking out Akbar and his fleet and nearly killing Leia? Makes not sense.

Lastly, I was disappointed in Rey not being a Skywalker. They built up so much hype in who her parents were. Telling us they were nobodies was a let down. I get and appreciate them trying to say that anyone can be a hero, and that you do not have to be a Skywalker. It is a nice sentiment. On the other hand, in the Force Awakens, you have Lor San Tekka living on her planet. He is the only one with the info on Luke's whereabouts. That info just happens to fall into the hands of Rey, the one force sensitive person on the planet. She just so happens to escape on the Millennium Falcon, only to get captured by Han and Chewy. Han just so happens to take her to a planet and a bar that just so happens to have Luke's lightsaber in the basement. The same lightsaber that fell down a shaft in the Cloud City 30 plus years ago. This same lightsaber then calls to Rey and later chooses Rey during her end fight with Kylo. So all this was a screaming pile of coincidence? Lame.

There were some good moments. I liked the fight with the red guards. I liked the moments that Luke had on the Falcon. The final scene with Luke coming to the rescue at the end was good, although I think it would've been better if he came in person and the fight between him and Kylo would have been real. I would have been fine if Luke still died. One thing that most fans loved about Rogue One was seeing Vader at the end in all his power being unleashed. My favorite part of the maligned prequels was seeing Yoda fight. It was a missed opportunity not showing a fully trained old master Luke Skywalker take on Kylo. It was also a beautifully made movie with top tier effects. I can see why some liked it. It just misses on the story.

I think they have too many writers and directors with too much control over each individual story. Nothing is coherent. Perhaps it'll all come together in the 3rd movie. I don't know.

I would rank this movie below the prequels. I went and rewatched the Phantom Menace the other day. While it had some annoyances, it was still a way more coherent story. The characters were so much more charismatic from the getgo.

Sure I get some of this but you just said yourself you went into this movie hoping Rey was a Skywalker or this or that and not with a clear open mind. Don't get me wrong there were some very silly things happening in this movie, like the bombers needing gravity to drop bombs in space, yeah kinda dumb but I think at the end of the movie there was a new beginning and that's what got me excited. Almost all the old is out of the way now leaving room for the new. I also don't believe Snoke is 100% dead however and I think now I'm even more interested in the next movie to tie it all together for us and make you think very hard on what happened in this movie.
MeatHeadbengal

Postby Mag » December 19th, 2017, 7:53 pm

The only expectation I had going in was the hope for some coherent story. Didn't get one. I would have been happy with the changes if only it made some sense.
Mag

Postby MeatHeadbengal » December 20th, 2017, 10:03 am

Mag wrote:The only expectation I had going in was the hope for some coherent story. Didn't get one. I would have been happy with the changes if only it made some sense.

I've played the new Star Wars Battlefront and that tied the story together some. The First Order while the Rebels were celebrating their victory were in the outer rim collecting kids and turning them into storm troopers as well as building their fleet, they called that project resurrection. In that they made hundreds of capital ships and the dreadnoughts. One of the missions is to steal the plans for those dreadnoughts and get them to Poe for analysis. I also strongly believe Snoke isn't dead and there's going to be a serious tying of things together in the last movie.
MeatHeadbengal

Postby Mag » December 21st, 2017, 8:13 am

I'll reserve high hopes for future movies. I hope Disney kicks Johnson and his team to the curb and let Edwards and the Rogue One team write the next trilogy. Rogue One was perhaps the best movie in the franchise or close to it. It had a clear story with a beginning, middle, and end. It had modest flashbacks that provided just enough backstory. It had charismatic characters and villains. Then the last few minutes from the acquisition of the plans to the final moments with Vader were the most satisfying moments in any Star Wars movie.
Mag

Postby MeatHeadbengal » December 22nd, 2017, 11:32 am

It has been confirmed that there will be a Snoke appearance in the next movie, so theory all you want but I feel it will all make sense after.

http://www.slashfilm.com/snoke-apprentice/
MeatHeadbengal

Postby orange_black » December 27th, 2017, 10:30 am

Mag wrote:to the final moments with Vader were the most satisfying moments in any Star Wars movie.

CLOSE...

it was a GREAT closing scene.... however, i will not put any scene above luke/Vader's fight scene in ESB right before luke loses a limb. that scene where Vader comes at him, breathing hard and heavy is soooooooo dark, evil, angry and awesome....
WHODEY BITC... i mean... PEOPLE!!!!
orange_black

Postby orange_black » December 27th, 2017, 11:01 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:It has been confirmed that there will be a Snoke appearance in the next movie, so theory all you want but I feel it will all make sense after.

nowhere in this article does it say anything about Snoke being alive or making an appearance... it simply states that perhaps he had other apprentices that may appear later in movies....
orange_black

Postby orange_black » December 27th, 2017, 11:04 am

orange_black wrote:
Mag wrote:to the final moments with Vader were the most satisfying moments in any Star Wars movie.

CLOSE...

it was a GREAT closing scene.... however, i will not put any scene above luke/Vader's fight scene in ESB right before luke loses a limb. that scene where Vader comes at him, breathing hard and heavy is soooooooo dark, evil, angry and awesome....

this one right here... still gives me goose bumps....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofzE4zn_4Zw
orange_black

Postby MeatHeadbengal » December 27th, 2017, 11:12 am

orange_black wrote:
MeatHeadbengal wrote:It has been confirmed that there will be a Snoke appearance in the next movie, so theory all you want but I feel it will all make sense after.

nowhere in this article does it say anything about Snoke being alive or making an appearance... it simply states that perhaps he had other apprentices that may appear later in movies....

I must have posted the wrong article, I'll have to find it.
MeatHeadbengal

Next

Return to Off Topic