Beer

Talk about whatever is on your mind.

Beer

Postby Mag » November 20th, 2013, 8:58 pm

What's your top 5 favorite breweries in your area (specify your area)?

I'll start with both Alaska and Seattle area:
Alaska
Alaskan
Denali
Kodiak Island
Homer
Midnight Sun

Seattle
Red Hook
Georgetown
Elysian
Bigtime
Hales
Last edited by Mag on November 20th, 2013, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mag

Re: Beer

Postby Jmble » November 21st, 2013, 11:10 am

In Cincinnati - Christian Moerlein, Rivertown, and Mt Carmel are all good. If you are including the entire state of Ohio, Great Lakes up in Cleveland is very good.

That's about it for me on local brews. We have a lot of beer festivals down here, and I always taste stuff I like from the smaller local breweries, but there aren't any others that I seek out.

An outsider would be surprised how much beer history there is in Cincinnati.
Jmble

Postby Exile » November 22nd, 2013, 9:46 pm

I don't really know the beer scene here in Indiana, partly because we've only lived here a little over four years and partly because I don't drink as much any more, and when I do I don't feel all that adventurous--I just a known quantity and I want it now. When I lived in northern Ohio, I did like the stuff coming out of Great Lakes--one of my buddies had his wedding reception at the brewery, which meant endless pitchers of five of their brews or, in other words, heaven.

For a few years, I lived near "Old Latrobe," and I did appreciate Rolling Rock as a pretty cheap beer that I didn't totally hate, but I don't think it's not made there any more. Iron City, made in Pittsburgh, was about as putrid as you would expect anything coming out of Pittsburgh to be, but at least it was dirt cheap.

And when I lived in Providence, the Sam Adams brewery and its free tours were just a short drive away.
Exile

Postby scooper » November 25th, 2013, 8:57 am

Jmble wrote:In Cincinnati - Christian Moerlein, Rivertown, and Mt Carmel are all good. If you are including the entire state of Ohio, Great Lakes up in Cleveland is very good.

That's about it for me on local brews. We have a lot of beer festivals down here, and I always taste stuff I like from the smaller local breweries, but there aren't any others that I seek out.

An outsider would be surprised how much beer history there is in Cincinnati.

This is a pretty good summary. I love the Great Lakes beers, as does the wife. She caught on after trying a Christmas Ale a could years ago then scouring the city to find the last remaining six packs at a mom and pop wine shop. Now they've upped the production, so we don't have to horde them.

I like what the new owners have done with the Moerlein brand to tip the hat to our brewing history. But part of me misses the time when they were kind of forgotten and you could get a six pack of their lager for a couple bucks less than you can now. It was a craft beer at a discount price.

A lot of Sam Adams is actually brewed here now. I worked nearby for a couple years. Man, it smelled good passing that brewery.

Mad Tree is another one to throw in. They are the new guy on the local brewing scene, but they are pretty good. They actually sell in cans, which I don't prefer, but it gives you a craft brew option when you need cans.
scooper

Postby Deadcat » November 26th, 2013, 6:05 pm

Grand Rapids Michigan won the title of Beer City USA this year. They have numerous microbrews and restaurants. I go there on business from time to time. It's not a bad little town. Good food, good beer. What else does one need?

Last time I went I hit Founders. It has a warehouse time setting with their brews on a chalkboard like at a deli. Very good and very strong beers.

I also can recommend Nashville as a good beer area. They have a brewery called Yazoo. It's very very good. I highly recommend their Hefeweizen.
Deadcat

Return to Off Topic