Eating in Columbus

Talk about whatever is on your mind.

Eating in Columbus

Postby Exile » May 10th, 2013, 9:25 pm

Hey guys. Our family is getting out of Hoosier-land, back to the glorious land of the Buckeyes. We're heading to Columbus for a wedding, and I haven't been there in years now. Can anyone throw out restaurant recommendations? We're staying at Staybridge Suites, out off 670, but I'll be passing through Columbus around noon to go check in, so lunch is really what I'm after. The catch is that I'll be traveling with a 3-year-old and a 1-year-old, so I'm looking for a good place that can keep us all happy.

Ideas?
Exile

Re: Eating in Columbus

Postby Deadcat » May 14th, 2013, 9:50 am

That's tough. 670 cuts across all of Columbus so you could be anywhere. If you are looking to eat downtown, there are a few landmarks I'd recommend. Thurmans is a must. It's in German Village. It may not be the best for younger kids and you can usually count on a wait, but as far as places to eat in Columbus that might be the best. German Village also has Schmidts. Schmidts serves traditional German food. Both Schmidts and Thurmans have been seen on the Travel Channel. Schmidts might be better for a family. I personally haven't eaten there....yet. But since it's been covered on TV I am sure it's good. The Elevator is a micro brew restaurant. The food is excellent. So is the beer. Not the best for kids. I also like Barely's which is across from the convention center and in front of the North Market. It's a microbrew as well so the beer is good. I also like the food. Afterwards you can take your kids to the northmarket and get some Jennie's Icecream. It's been covered in magazines as well as one of the three best icecream shops in the nation. Everything there is homemade with local ingredients and fresh. It's expensive but worth it. If you go just a little North of downtown, still south of campus, in Short North there are lots of mom and pop restaurants. Most of them are really good.

I hope this helps. If you can give me a better idea of where you'll be I can provide more recommendations.
Deadcat

Postby Mag » July 1st, 2013, 3:33 pm

I'm a bit late on this, but how can you leave out Katzingers's Deli? That place is amazing. There is a new taco joint not far from OSU. I can't remember the name. My brother took me there in April. As a half Mexican, I have to say they have some of the best tacos in the state of Ohio.
Mag

Postby Exile » July 3rd, 2013, 7:23 pm

Well, I missed out on the chance to take advice from any of you, and ended up running late and missing lunch anyway, but I'm glad to have the ideas for the next time we're in town. Whenever that might be.
Exile

Return to Off Topic