orange_black

I'm not a baseball guy... but...

Post by orange_black » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:44 am

Cleveland Guardians?

LOL

4256 Hits

Re: I'm not a baseball guy... but...

Post by 4256 Hits » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:20 pm

It only works if they use Rocket as their mascot.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:32 am

What's most ironic is the the team originally chose the name Indians to honor the first Native American player in the major league.

Now, due to rampant and hysterical political correctness that name is considered "offensive."

The Chiefs and Braves are next followed by the Seminoles and Fighting Illini.

Then they'll come for the Jets because that promotes vehicles that cause Global Warming and the Angels and Saints will have to go because they promote religious symbolism.

Dolphins will be next because that exploits an intelligent animal and team names like Pirates, Buccaneers and Raiders etc... promote violence and names like Patriots and Texans promote white extremists.

Bengals will go eventually because they'll claim that exploits an trivializes an endangered species.

Mark my words....it's coming.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:07 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:32 am
What's most ironic is the the team originally chose the name Indians to honor the first Native American player in the major league.

Now, due to rampant and hysterical political correctness that name is considered "offensive."

The Chiefs and Braves are next followed by the Seminoles and Fighting Illini.

Then they'll come for the Jets because that promotes vehicles that cause Global Warming and the Angels and Saints will have to go because they promote religious symbolism.

Dolphins will be next because that exploits an intelligent animal and team names like Pirates, Buccaneers and Raiders etc... promote violence and names like Patriots and Texans promote white extremists.

Bengals will go eventually because they'll claim that exploits an trivializes an endangered species.

Mark my words....it's coming.
Notice how you said "Native American Player" and not the first Indian player? We've been using the words Native American for so long now that it sounds weird to even refer to them as Indians.

I don't mind the name change from the Indians, but the Guardians is a stupid name. I didn't mind the name change for the Redskins. It's stupid to have a team named after the "color" of someone's skin.

Having said that, I think that's about as far as they need to go. We grow. We change. It's okay to fix something that was once okay and now isn't. Having said that, there's also Political Correctness gone way too far.

The Chiefs, Braves, Warriors, Blackhawks, Seminoles, and so forth are all names that honor groups of people. Nobody finds any of those words problematic. Blackhawks and Seminoles are honoring the tribes that settled those areas, and Chiefs, Braves, and Warriors, could all be used in different context than with Native Americans.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:45 am

Jmble wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:07 am
I didn't mind the name change for the Redskins. It's stupid to have a team named after the "color" of someone's skin.
My understanding is that the term "Redskins" was coined due to the tradition of American Indians using red paint to mark themselves up for battle. Hence the term "war paint."

It's only in modern times that it was assumed to refer to the actual color of their skin.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:02 pm

There....problem solved...

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:42 pm