LG

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Mag

LG

Post by Mag » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:17 pm

Seems like Westerman is starting to fizzle. His lack of versatility may cause him to get cut. Now it is probably down to Hopkins, Jerry, and Jordan (not counting Redman due to suspension). Do you go with the vets that have the highest floor (Hopkins, Jerry) or do you go with the kid with the highest ceiling and let him take his lumps? I don't think either is heads and shoulders over the other at the moment.

If neither is heads and shoulders above the other, I say go with Jordan and let him take his lumps. He could be an elite player. He is big, smart, and athletic. All he needs is experience and to get stronger. He has a bigger anchor than Hopkins. Hopkins doesn't have the anchor to take on stronger DLs. He is smart and athletic. Jerry is smart and is strong enough to hold his own. Yet he is on the down turn of his career.

TheBurn

Re: LG

Post by TheBurn » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:12 pm

what if... you move Price to LG and keep Hopkins at C ?

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:09 am

Well honestly you have to do what's best, I know that sounds silly and simple but if Price and whoever is better G/C combo then Price at center and whoever at guard. I'll try and make some time to watch the game tomorrow night if I even can find it and see what I see. I'm still really really down on this team honestly and as mush as I want to be excited I'm just having a hard time.

Sorry if I'm a debbie downer.

Mag

Post by Mag » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:24 pm

Speaking of LG, Westerman is considering retirement.

TheBurn

Post by TheBurn » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:49 pm

Ian Rapoport ✔
@RapSheet

The #Bengals lost another O-lineman to retirement: Christian Westerman was placed on the Exempt/Left Squad, per the wire. He’s made his decision.

5:10 PM - Aug 16, 2019

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:30 pm

Almost makes me think he didnt want to compete. He was looking at 2nd or maybe 3rd string anyway. But thats still a nice chunk of change to lose...unless he felt like he was about to be cut.
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins

TheBurn

Post by TheBurn » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:09 pm

Bengals OG Christian Westerman returned to the team after leaving it August 16.

It was initially believed Westerman decided to hang up his cleats five days ago, but coach Zac Taylor said Westerman was dealing with a personal issue. Westerman, 26, was believed to be in the mix to start at left guard for Cincinnati this season. The Bengals need all the offensive line help they can get.

Source: ESPN.com
Aug 21, 2019, 10:59 AM ET

orange_black

Post by orange_black » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:29 pm

hmmm. maybe a sign that things are starting to come back together.... after what feels like a dreadful start to the season...

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:27 pm

Me thinks not. If our Oline success hinges on Westerman being here then I'll just be a Browns fan for the season. Sure I want him there, but he's really nothing more than a camp body at this point. Dont be surprised when they cut him. The story was that he had told a few folks he was thinking about retirement. Going to have a hard time proving his hearts in the game now.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:01 pm

Just rewatched Hard Knocks 2009 Episode 5, no idea why, but I enjoyed the throwback to an amazing season. Couldnt help but think given our current o-line situation how much we would give to have freaking Dennis Roland on the roster. On the flip side we have Fat Albert himself, who happened to be in his rookie season with us in 2009. And here he is 10 years later trying to save our ass.

Long live Fui Vakapuna, Jason "swingman" Shirley, DeDe "I'd rather be a Colt" Dorsey and possibly the worst Bengals olineman ever, even worse than OogieBoogie, our buddy Gus Parrish.