Your first-place Reds

Talk MLB. Go Reds!

Your first-place Reds

Postby TheBurn » May 28th, 2012, 11:07 am

How 'bout them Rojos? Currently 27-20 and in 1st place, 1.5 games better than the Cards. They've won 8 out of their last 10 and the starting pitching seems to be coming around as a unit. Also with Chapman now the closer, the game has been become much shorter (the Marshall - Arredondo set-up combo has been mostly money so far). Offensively, Votto is back, and in a big way. BP is finally cracking. Bruce started out on fire then went ice-cold, but has hit the ball better the last couple of games with a DBL on Saturday and a HR yesterday. This should be a fun team to follow these next few months. I expect a 2-team race all the way to the end. Stoked.
TheBurn

Re: Your first-place Reds

Postby JOTT » June 7th, 2012, 12:44 am

Oh yeah... Red Legs doing some work. This team has the potential I think to match the 90's Reds or better. Still think we need another solid ACE for the post season run.
JOTT

Postby skycruiser » June 7th, 2012, 6:21 am

i think latos will end up being that guy. their pitching staff is scary good. wait till bray and masset get back, they'll be loaded with relief. i'd like to see 1 more bat in the line up...bruce is turning into dunn
skycruiser

Postby TheBurn » June 7th, 2012, 8:03 am

skycruiser wrote:...bruce is turning into dunn

Ouch! :D
TheBurn

Postby JOTT » June 8th, 2012, 12:47 am

TheBurn wrote:
skycruiser wrote:...bruce is turning into dunn

Ouch! :D

Oh don't do that to poor Bruce, but you're right.

Verdict is still out on Latos, but pitching in GAB concerns me. Hopefully he settles down and can be that ACE we need.
JOTT

Postby skycruiser » June 8th, 2012, 7:51 am

man...just think if we had madsen closing this year. you'd go cueto, chapman, latos, arroyo, leake, bailey...BALLER
skycruiser

Postby Ryno » June 8th, 2012, 7:55 am

You have to remember, Latos has less Major League starts than Homer, and is younger than Mike Leake. I have my concerns about him long term pitching in GABP.

As for Bruce, he will be fine, he's a streaky hitter, when he's hot he will carry the team for a couple of weeks, when he's cold, well he could cool off hell.

As for another bat, the bench absolutely blows chunks. Everyone of the bench players except the 2nd catcher, could be improved. What I would like to see happen is Ludwick get more consistant playing time, the guy is clutch and he hits for power. I think he could be your 4 hitter, and move BP back to leadoff. Heisey is a better pinch hitter and late inning defensive replacement anyway. That helps the bench. I've also heard they are looking at Carlos Quentin, which if he's actually healthy and ready to go, I take a fly on him all day.

Cozart is solid, but not a leadoff guy, Stubbs actually is doing pretty well in the 2 hole, he's bunting more (still not enough), Votto is Votto, the best pure hitter in the game, BP is not a clean up guy, get him back to leadoff, Bruce is in the right spot just streaky, Frazier is coming along nicely, I hate to think they are going to sit him when Rolen is back, he'll just get hurt again, Heisey/Ludwick, see above, Hanigan, wow this kid can play for a fringe catcher, he is under-rated.

The pitching is obviously pretty good. Sure the rotation has some questions, but the pen is money. Chapman will be in the pen at a minimum this season, they aren't going to switch him midway, but you get a healther Masset and Bray back, you actually have some trade bait. I probably send Hoover down, to continue to develop, but then someone else is expendable, who is that? Simon has been more than solid, I think it's probably LeCure if you don't trade one that has value.

Just my quick look at the team as it stands now.
Hear them Bengals growling mean and angry.....
Ryno

Postby skycruiser » June 11th, 2012, 11:10 am

good breakdown ryno. i agree with alot of your points. it'll be cool to see how they go down the stretch
skycruiser

Postby Deadcat » June 11th, 2012, 12:52 pm

skycruiser wrote:i think latos will end up being that guy. their pitching staff is scary good. wait till bray and masset get back, they'll be loaded with relief. i'd like to see 1 more bat in the line up...bruce is turning into dunn

My frustrations with Dunn weren't solely based on his work at the plate, it was that and his fielding. Bruce, on the other hand, is a great fielder. He may have similarities with Dunn at the plate but in the field the guy is one of the best. And he has a cannon for an arm.
Deadcat

Return to Baseball