Anyone Else Paying Attention to Baseball?

Talk MLB. Go Reds!

Anyone Else Paying Attention to Baseball?

Postby Deadcat » January 7th, 2016, 1:27 pm

I'm just curious if anyone else is getting into baseball mode? I realize basketball is still midseason and football isn't over, at least not NFL football, but I'm excited about the 2016 baseball season. The Reds have shed some dead weight, or least some extra weight that they can't afford to carry during the rebuilding process. They are trying to mimic the Astros and Cubs who dump salaries to get healthy quick also allowing younger players to mature. Some of my best seasons have been when the Reds had no big names and started some young hungry players. I'm looking forward to more moves and a fun season, even if we lose a lot.
Deadcat

Re: Anyone Else Paying Attention to Baseball?

Postby TheBurn » January 7th, 2016, 1:34 pm

not impressed by the return on the Chapman trade... :(
TheBurn

Postby orange_black » January 7th, 2016, 2:31 pm

nope
WHODEY BITC... i mean... PEOPLE!!!!
orange_black

Postby Ryno » January 7th, 2016, 2:40 pm

Until they dump Votto they are hamstrung by his salary.
Hear them Bengals growling mean and angry.....
Ryno

Postby ollie » January 12th, 2016, 7:05 am

Always excited about Reds baseball. The boys have more talent than they get credit for but they are young in many cases.
Going to be a long season I fear.

Bronson Arroyo did a radio interview about a month ago, prior to being released so it could have been longer. Anyway, he
expressed a real interest in reuniting w/ Mark Price. I'm certain he hopes to pitch this year and wants to be a mentor. Not
sure the Reds will pony-up the money for his tutorial services but I see a real benefit. Teach these youngsters how to train
and to prepare for each start, appearance, etc.
To make this story a bit more interesting I was told BA bought a home in NKy one week after this interview. Ft. Mitchell area
I believe. Hard to believe he enjoys boating on the Ohio THAT much.
ollie

Postby Deadcat » January 13th, 2016, 10:58 am

I'd welcome Arroyo back. Always loved the guy's attitude.

But pitching wasn't and isn't our problem. We can't hit. We have zero offense and got even worse by trading away some of our bats. Aside from Joey Votto and occasionally Brandon Phillips, no one can hit the ball worth a damn. You can't generate runs with only two guys who can hit. We were dumb let Shin-Soo Choo walk. He didn't have a good year after being traded but he had chemistry with this team. We should have found another spot on the field for him or Billy Hamilton. I really like the direction Krivsky had us heading by building up our farm system slowly. I am less than impressed with Jockerty and the greatness he was supposed to bring over from St. Louis. The organization has been going in the wrong direction since he arrived.
Deadcat

Postby ollie » January 13th, 2016, 11:31 am

I agree the Jocketty experiment has been underwhelming at best.
Now we have Williams Jr. but every time there is a move or transaction it is still Jocketty
doing the interviews...strange.

I agree with the assessment of our offense also. Going to be a different animal we run out
there this year. Arroyo can and should be a "leader" for the team as well as a positional
mentor for the pitchers is my hope.

Cosart was having his best season prior to injury, hope it comes back.
Bruce needs to have a HUGE first half and be dealt at the break.
Votto will be Votto, with less power and RBI's as no one protecting and fewer on base in front of him.
Phillips I believe will continue his decline.
Suarez to play 3rd or LF if Phillips is not traded.
Maybe Devin plays 3rd to protect the hip.
Billy H either improves his OBP or he becomes a role player. Defense took a nose dive last year.

That line up will not strike fear.
ollie

Postby Deadcat » January 13th, 2016, 12:41 pm

Bruce, Phillips and Cosart are all in trade talks. I think the team is trying to dump them. Bruce and Phillips due to salary and Cosart because the have younger better talent behind them.
Deadcat

Postby Benzoo » January 13th, 2016, 1:59 pm

The reds can have a decent season. The issue is going to be keeping players on the field. Cozart, Mesoroco and Bailey are all coming back from injuries. And we have that void at 3B and LF to fill. I think between Cozart, Mesoroco, Suaraz, Duvall and Dejesus we can rotate and stay healthy. Now Devin will still catch, but he cannot at least early in the season go every day. Billy Hamilton is not a leadoff hitter and they need to realize it. He do just as much damage, maybe more batting 8th or 9th. But, his defense for now is needed.
It will be interesting to watch this season.
Benzoo

Postby ollie » January 14th, 2016, 9:28 am

I agree with health being a key, but also a constant. If they boys stay healthy
they can win some games. Can they win 70? Doubtful.

I heard an interview concerning Billy H mid season last year. The topic was Billy
no longer being a switch hitter. I believe they were suggesting he would no longer
bat LEFT handed. He is naturally right handed, fast enough that losing one step
out of the box was not a deal breaker. If you look at his splits I would say he has
more natural power from the right side; slugging % is considerably higher, power not
meaning he will or needs to hit more HR...gaps are his bread and butter.

My hope is this team changes it's approach at the plate and learns to get on base at
a much higher clip. HR's are nice but fly outs and K's are rally killers.
ollie

Next

Return to Baseball