Charlie Hustle is screwed

Talk MLB. Go Reds!

Charlie Hustle is screwed

Postby stripesincarolina » June 22nd, 2015, 5:50 pm

ESPN unearthed documents showing Pete bet on baseball, and the Reds, while he was a PLAYER. Dowd says case closed. No HOF for Pete.

I've been on the fence for a while now with both legs leaning towards the lifetime ban but giving Pete a chance to sort things out. I think I just hopped off the fence. He screwed up, plain and simple.
stripesincarolina

Re: Charlie Hustle is screwed

Postby Jmble » June 22nd, 2015, 7:32 pm

Of course he screwed up. Does anything that was found out today surprise anybody? Secondly, betting on the Reds as a manager is much worse than betting on the Reds as a player. Everyone agrees that there has never been any evidence that he bet against the Reds. As a manager, he may have left a pitcher in a little longer or held out a player for rest so they could play in a game he actually has money on, but as a player, betting on the Reds all he's going to do is play exactly the same way he always did.

I'm not saying it's right. I don't believe it's right. I just believe that today's findings shouldn't have any real bearings over how you feel about Pete Rose one way or the other.

All he is, is guilty of lying more than he already admitted to lying.

Dowd will always say case closed. Dowd and Selig will always be against Pete to the fullest amount possible to honor the late Bart Giamatti.

My feelings on Pete are the same today as they were yesterday. He should be in the Hall of Fame, but he should not be reinstated to a point that he can work in baseball again.
Jmble

Postby Bengals1 » June 22nd, 2015, 7:37 pm

I thought Pete had come out long ago and admitted he'd bet while he was a Red. Was that just as a manager?
Bengals1

Postby Jmble » June 22nd, 2015, 7:39 pm

Bengals1 wrote:I thought Pete had come out long ago and admitted he'd bet while he was a Red. Was that just as a manager?

Yeah. He categorically denied betting on the Reds as a player. Only as a manager. So this is new information. I just don't feel like it changes anything. Just gives more ammo to the people who were already anti Pete Rose.
Jmble

Postby Bengals1 » June 22nd, 2015, 11:10 pm

Jmble wrote:
Bengals1 wrote:I thought Pete had come out long ago and admitted he'd bet while he was a Red. Was that just as a manager?

Yeah. He categorically denied betting on the Reds as a player. Only as a manager. So this is new information. I just don't feel like it changes anything. Just gives more ammo to the people who were already anti Pete Rose.

Okay, got it now.

M'eh, Baseball....who gives a sh*t....?
Bengals1

Postby Ryno » June 23rd, 2015, 11:40 am

Jmble wrote:Of course he screwed up. Does anything that was found out today surprise anybody? Secondly, betting on the Reds as a manager is much worse than betting on the Reds as a player. Everyone agrees that there has never been any evidence that he bet against the Reds. As a manager, he may have left a pitcher in a little longer or held out a player for rest so they could play in a game he actually has money on, but as a player, betting on the Reds all he's going to do is play exactly the same way he always did.

I'm not saying it's right. I don't believe it's right. I just believe that today's findings shouldn't have any real bearings over how you feel about Pete Rose one way or the other.

All he is, is guilty of lying more than he already admitted to lying.

Dowd will always say case closed. Dowd and Selig will always be against Pete to the fullest amount possible to honor the late Bart Giamatti.

My feelings on Pete are the same today as they were yesterday. He should be in the Hall of Fame, but he should not be reinstated to a point that he can work in baseball again.

I was getting ready to write this same explanation and then I read it here, he had more control over the game as a manager than he did as a player, nothing changes for me with this info. He should be in the Hall, but not on the field.
Hear them Bengals growling mean and angry.....
Ryno

Postby MeatHeadbengal » June 23rd, 2015, 1:05 pm

My thing is he's one of the best if not these best hitter in the history of baseball, he deserves to be in the Hall. So what he bet on games, at least he wasn't doing PED's or other crazy drugs. The timing of this release of info is just silly, and to me it looks like person vendetta's verses actually news reporting!
MeatHeadbengal

Postby Deadcat » June 24th, 2015, 12:42 pm

I put him in the hall after he dies. Pete's a loser as a person and broke a primary rule of baseball. America loves to forgive, but Pete has chosen to lie rather to ask forgiveness. So screw him. You get what you deserve.
Deadcat

Postby Benzoo » December 14th, 2015, 2:15 pm

Pete Rose has been denied reinstatement. Not a total shocker. But, based on what transpired over the summer you would've at least thought he had a good chance.
Benzoo

Return to Baseball