New Closer

Talk MLB. Go Reds!

New Closer

Postby Ryno » January 11th, 2012, 2:55 pm

So what are your thoughts on the bullpen now that Madson is in the fold? I think it's got to be one of the best in the National League, with Marshall, Bray, Madson, Masset, Ondrusek, LeCure, Arrendondo.

Looking pretty solid.
Hear them Bengals growling mean and angry.....
Ryno

Re: New Closer

Postby Jmble » January 11th, 2012, 3:18 pm

Assuming best case scenario here.... 1,2,3 starters of Cueto, Latos, Chapman Marshall added to the bullpen, Madson as the closer. Mesoraco and a hopefully healthy Zach Cozart joining the lineup. Just entering their primes Bruce and Votto. Smack dab in the middle of his prime Phillips. Hopefully Rolen is healthy and can perform even close to what he was in 2010. If we can find one more piece to either take over or platoon in left field, and Drew Stubbs can learn how to make contact with the baseball, we could be poised for a major run this year. I haven't been this excited about a Reds baseball team in years.
Jmble

Postby Deadcat » January 11th, 2012, 4:17 pm

I was excited last year but we failed to live up to expectations. Last year the hope was that our youth would develop. And when it didn't the lack of movement in the offseason cost us. I like spending for pitching and I have no problem trading our prospects. We still, however, need help in Left Field and at Third. Expecting Rolen to be healthy is crazy. He can give us have a season and should be platooned with his eventual replacement. As a leader Rolen is invaluable, but as a player he needs to be upgraded.
Deadcat

Postby skycruiser » January 11th, 2012, 7:03 pm

can you say all in?

if we land a left fielder that can lead off....ohhhhhhh nelly!
skycruiser

Postby MeatHeadbengal » January 12th, 2012, 11:00 am

It would be really nice to have a good Red's team back in the Nati... I miss going down to reds games with my old man and waiting to catch that foul ball that comes our way. They have a good core group of players built up there... I hope these are the pieces it takes to get this team to another level.
MeatHeadbengal

Postby TheBurn » January 13th, 2012, 8:22 pm

What Sky said...
TheBurn

Postby cincybobcat » January 13th, 2012, 10:41 pm

I'm good with Mad Dog, it seems Walt played the waiting game and won. If we don't get killed by injuries this year, we should make the playoffs, if not win the division. STL's rotation is scary, but not much else. Beltran and Berkman are old and injury-prone, their bullpen is hit-or-miss, and they now have lost LaRussa AND Duncan. It'll be tough for them to keep it up all year, I think.
cincybobcat

Postby Benzoo » March 25th, 2012, 7:44 am

Looks like Madson will be out for at least a year and probably half of next season. He never even threwh a pitch for the Reds in a spring training game. Closing candidates now are Marshall, Chapman and Masset. I can't really say I like any of those options.
Benzoo

Postby TheBurn » March 25th, 2012, 8:42 am

I'm not sure I want Chapman as a closer or anywhere in relief for that matter.
Gotta see what he gives you as a starter. He's 'potentially' a TOR guy.
TheBurn

Return to Baseball