2014 Reds

Talk MLB. Go Reds!

Re: 2014 Reds

Postby Bengals1 » September 30th, 2014, 3:44 pm

Agreed. I didn't see many games this past season but I can't argue with any of that. :evil:
Bengals1

Postby Deadcat » October 1st, 2014, 1:55 pm

Jockerty is a good GM. I'd expect him to be active if he has the pieces and dollars to do so.
Deadcat

Postby Ryno » October 1st, 2014, 2:23 pm

unfortunately I don't think there is any way to get rid of Votto and his salary, that was about the stupidest thing Jockety could have done, but I understand the public would have gone nuts had they not signed him. But that contract is going to kill them over time, along with Homer's, because the payroll isn't going to increase by much if any.
Hear them Bengals growling mean and angry.....
Ryno

Postby Benzoo » October 1st, 2014, 11:14 pm

I'm not sold on getting rid of Votto. I'd be more willing to trade Phillips. I think Negron deserves his shot. And I'd rather it be at 2B than 3B.
I do not like Frazier at 1B .His numbers seemed to tail off a bit when he took over for Votto.
As for Cozart, the 3 positions you sacrifice offense for defense are C, SS and CF, I for one don't mind the low batting average as long as hr plays solid defense.
There is a lot of work that needs to be done before spring training.
Benzoo

Postby Deadcat » October 2nd, 2014, 6:05 am

This team needs an overhaul. We have a lot of good, not great pitchers and no hitting. Votto has been hurt since signing his big contract. Phillips is looking old and on the downside of his career. Bruce has never lived up to the hype and is far too streaky. Hamilton needs time but may never develop into more than a speed guy.

We need to trade pitching for some bats. I saw one article on MLBtraderumors that suggested we package Cueto and Phillips in a trade. Getting ride of Phillips dumps some salary and we will have a hard time resigning Cueto in a year or so. Jockerty has stocked our minors with good pitching. It's time we use some of it to fill up this roster. Latos is another player that might need to be moved and has been talked about a lot. His injuries hurt his value but when healthy he's a very good #1 pitcher in the rotation.

Last year I gave the status quo a try. This year I want to see moves. We can't keep watching this team and expecting time will make it better. Not kind of is what it is. Unfortunately, that's a nonplayoff caliber team.
Deadcat

Previous

Return to Baseball