2021 Draft Thread Rnds 2 & 3

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Jmble

Re: 2021 Draft Thread Rnds 2 & 3

Post by Jmble » Sat May 01, 2021 10:18 am

Here's PFF's summary of our first three picks:

Ja'Marr Chase
STRENGTHS: Elite toughness and body control for the position…master artist at tracking, elevating and making grabs over defenders…physical, fluid adjustment skills
when attacking the football, especially downfield and along the sideline…runs with strong acceleration and gear-change to create vertical spacing…outstanding
reflexes and hand-eye coordination to stab the ball away from his body…keeps his body free to make plays, fighting off aggressive coverage…slips the jam and sets up
defensive backs with sudden feet/hands…tremendous after-catch skills with his body power, burst and balance to create, leading the country in receiving yards after
contact (411) in 2019…proven chain-mover with 85.1% of his college catches resulting in a first down or touchdown…defenders better finish him to the ground (led all
FBS receivers with 23 broken tackles in 2019)…very hungry competitor and was awarded the No. 7 jersey for the 2020 season…owns “great character” and
“outstanding leadership,” according to LSU head coach Ed Orgeron…remarkable production, setting LSU and SEC records for receiving yards and touchdown grabs in a
single season in 2019.
WEAKNESSES: Only adequate height/length…will tip his hand early in the route based on his leverage and steps…his physical nature downfield will earn him extra
attention from officials…strong hands, but will have the occasional focus drop (10 career drops)…his senior year of high school ended early due to a partial tear of his
PCL in his right knee (November 2017)…only one season of production at the college level and benefited from elite talent around him, including three first-round
picks in the 2020 NFL Draft (Joe Burrow, Justin Jefferson, Clyde Edwards-Helaire).
SUMMARY: A two-year starter at LSU, Chase was the X receiver in offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger’s offense, lining up both inside and outside. He had an
historic sophomore season with Heisman winner Joe Burrow throwing him the football, becoming the first player in LSU history to reach 2,000-plus receiving yards in
his first two seasons. Chase is extremely talented after the catch and with the ball in the air, exemplifying the “my ball” attitude to consistently win the catch point
(plays like a smaller Larry Fitzgerald). He is an above average athlete and appears very natural with his route movements, but needs to do a better job making every
route look the same off the line of scrimmage. Overall, Chase creates separation with his gear-changing acceleration and is an elite finisher with his physical ball
skills, displaying equal parts competitive toughness and playmaking skills to be an NFL No. 1 receiver.
GRADE: 1st Round (No. 4 overall)

Jackson Carman
STRENGTHS: Wide-based blocker with a broad, powerful frame…smooth initial kickslide with the lower-body agility to mirror or get out in space…heavy-handed to
thud and manhandle defenders at contact…unleashes his core power and physicality in the run game…slams into defenders and keeps his feet working as a drive
blocker…stays low out of his stance, finding the hip of the defensive lineman and unloading on down blocks…his anchor is strengthened when he relies on his lower
body flexibility…held his own vs. Chase Young on the 2020 Ohio State tape…worked hard to rework his body and adopt a more healthy diet, keeping bad weight
off…durable and started all 27 games at left tackle the last two seasons.
WEAKNESSES: Appears heavy and has pad level issues in his lateral movements…allows his upper body to get out in front, lunging and falling off balance…allows his
mechanics to get sloppy…wide hands and leaves his chest open…too many examples of him being late or erratic with his punch and resorts to hooking or hugging
when rushers reach the corner before him…will be a prime target for holding calls in the NFL until he makes necessary improvements…he enrolled in college at 375
pounds and his conditioning needs to be closely monitored (cooking is one of his passions)…was primarily a left tackle in high school and college and lacks experience
at guard…underwent back surgery in January 2021.
SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Clemson, Carman lined up at left tackle in offensive coordinator Tony Elliott’s shotgun spread scheme. Clemson stole him from Ohio
and he took over for Mitch Hyatt at left tackle as a sophomore, starting every game there the last two seasons. Carman has impressive size and physicality, creating
torque and knock-back with his raw power. However, there are questions about his functional range and overall consistency. At times, his strike timing and landmarks
are on point, while other times he is sloppy and late. Overall, Carman isn’t ready for savvy NFL pass rushers and he is a much better run blocker than pass protector
right now, but the physical ingredients are there for him to grow into an NFL starter (similar to Ereck Flowers). He projects best at guard in a power/gap scheme.
GRADE: 3rd Round (No. 92 overall)
Joseph Ossai
STRENGTHS: Relentless pursuit player and competes with a maniacal motor…quick out of the gate with terrific acceleration…stays balanced through contact to grind
the outside shoulder of blockers…powerful hands and uses a quick stab to soften the edge…stays low through gaps and when attacking blocks, allowing him to fork
lift his man…much of his production comes from his secondary rush effort…large tackle radius and able to make fingertip tackles…flips a switch on the field and never
takes a play off, which frustrates opponents and allows him to consistently be around the football…the Texas coaches call his effort “not good, not great, but
phenomenal”…a lead-by-example type and his teammates feed off his energy…experienced as a rusher and off-ball player…excellent tackle production the last two
seasons as a starter.

WEAKNESSES: Lacks variety in how he attacks the pocket…doesn’t have elite bend to consistently win the corner on speed alone…stiff-hipped and lacks fluidity in his
redirect…finds himself too far upfield at times and needs to harness his energy to eliminate the wasted steps…relies more on hustle and play speed rather than a
controlled rush plan…has long arms, but doesn’t always play like it…inconsistent low run defender…lacks ideal sand in his base and can be driven in reverse…not
going to hold up covering backs or tight ends consistently.
SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Texas, Ossai played the JACK pass rush position in former defensive coordinator Chris Ash’s hybrid 4-2-5 scheme, standing up on the
edge. After playing the “B backer” position as a freshman and sophomore, he moved to more of a pass rush role in 2020, but he was productive regardless, combining
for 29.5 tackles for loss and 145 tackles over 22 starts the last two seasons. An impressive pursuit player, Ossai is consistently around the football and makes plays
that he has no business making due to his play speed and hustle. While he plays quick, he wins more with effort and his body stiffness hinders his ability to win at the
top of his rush. Overall, Ossai is a linear athlete who lacks fluidity in his rush or redirect, but his foot is always on the gas with the compete skills and locked-in
effort that helps mask some of his issues. He projects as a physical 3-4 edge defender.
GRADE: 2nd Round (No. 47 overall)

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Sat May 01, 2021 10:58 am

Mag wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 9:36 am
In depth Carmen film breakdown. Shows his negatives and positives. The things he does well should make him a top end G. Carmen does a great job getting to the second level and locking on dudes. He's also good at picking up stunts. These have been the biggest issues with our guards recently. If Carmen continues to develop, he should be an elite guard.

https://youtu.be/ERqcSZwHwMw

Note: video done by a Raiders fan, but it's extremely well done.
Just not sold on him. His ratings while in college were only in their low 70s. Was on average to give up 4 sacks, a bunch of hurries and hits a year in college.. Can he be the next Bobby Williams? If so then I'm all for it. But NO WAY, NOOOOOOOO WAY can I see this kid playing Tackle. I think we could have done tons better at that spot. Just my 2 cents

I like it when the Bengals are on page with everyone else draft wise, I don't like it when they think they know more than everyone else...aka, Samples, etc...
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Sat May 01, 2021 12:06 pm

Joe Bananas wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:58 am
Mag wrote:
In depth Carmen film breakdown. Shows his negatives and positives. The things he does well should make him a top end G. Carmen does a great job getting to the second level and locking on dudes. He's also good at picking up stunts. These have been the biggest issues with our guards recently. If Carmen continues to develop, he should be an elite guard.

Just not sold on him. His ratings while in college were only in their low 70s. Was on average to give up 4 sacks, a bunch of hurries and hits a year in college.. Can he be the next Bobby Williams? If so then I'm all for it. But NO WAY, NOOOOOOOO WAY can I see this kid playing Tackle. I think we could have done tons better at that spot. Just my 2 cents

I like it when the Bengals are on page with everyone else draft wise, I don't like it when they think they know more than everyone else...aka, Samples, etc...
I can see him playing every position except center honestly, he's got very good feet and very good upper body strength and aim for the initial punch. As long as he keeps himself in good leverage position and feet under him he's very good. I think he's still a bit raw, and will really need to focus on his kicks. Guard very well might be where he ends up and I think he'd be a very good guard. If he keeps working on his feet he'll make a fine tackle, just probably not as good as a G if he sticks at it. I don't think his arm length is the issue, and I think it's a very over analyzed measurement, if aim is good and punch is quick he'll be just fine and from all the youtube I've seen so far he's got that. He's very athletic for as big as he is, quite impressive.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Sat May 01, 2021 12:11 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:06 pm
Joe Bananas wrote:
Mag wrote:

I can see him playing every position except center honestly, he's got very good feet and very good upper body strength and aim for the initial punch. As long as he keeps himself in good leverage position and feet under him he's very good. I think he's still a bit raw, and will really need to focus on his kicks. Guard very well might be where he ends up and I think he'd be a very good guard. If he keeps working on his feet he'll make a fine tackle, just probably not as good as a G if he sticks at it. I don't think his arm length is the issue, and I think it's a very over analyzed measurement, if aim is good and punch is quick he'll be just fine and from all the youtube I've seen so far he's got that. He's very athletic for as big as he is, quite impressive.
Hopefully he doesn't eat himself outta the league. He's a big boy! I have zero problem with him if he excels at guard. Just not sure he's a tackle. He can full in sure but I think he'd be an elite guard. Just hope the team finds him a spot and hope the team continues to work with him. But if Willie and Paul A say he good then who am I to disagree?
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Sat May 01, 2021 12:27 pm

Joe Bananas wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:11 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:06 pm
Joe Bananas wrote:

Hopefully he doesn't eat himself outta the league. He's a big boy! I have zero problem with him if he excels at guard. Just not sure he's a tackle. He can full in sure but I think he'd be an elite guard. Just hope the team finds him a spot and hope the team continues to work with him. But if Willie and Paul A say he good then who am I to disagree?
I do not agree, I think could be a fine tackle, he's just got to keep working on his lower body and leverage. I agree he could be an elite tackle but we'll see how it all plays out.

Mag

Post by Mag » Sat May 01, 2021 1:35 pm

First, we don't NEED a tackle. We NEED guards.

Meat, it seems no one here is watching his film. This kid has a lot of good traits. He moves very well for such a big kid. He's almost like Bobbie Williams moving as well as Steiny. I believe he starts day 1 and stays the RG for his time here.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Sat May 01, 2021 10:53 pm

Mag wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:35 pm

Meat, it seems no one here is watching his film. This kid has a lot of good traits. He moves very well for such a big kid. He's almost like Bobbie Williams moving as well as Steiny. I believe he starts day 1 and stays the RG for his time here.
I noticed the .com has Carman listed as a Guard.

https://www.bengals.com/draft/

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Sun May 02, 2021 8:17 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:53 pm
Mag wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:35 pm

I noticed the .com has Carman listed as a Guard.

https://www.bengals.com/draft/
I think Zac said in his draft interview that he would most likely be playing guard.
AJ McCarron = Superbowl Wins