2014 Reds

Talk MLB. Go Reds!

2014 Reds

Postby Bengals1 » January 15th, 2014, 3:42 pm

So, how are the Reds looking for this coming season.....?
Bengals1

Re: 2014 Reds

Postby Jmble » January 15th, 2014, 3:56 pm

Hard to say. Right now the only offseason progress they have made is losing one of the most productive bats in the 2013 lineup and replacing him with a rookie who is a major question mark for how he will produce in a full season as the starting Center Fielder.

You have Ryan Ludwick who is a year older.

This team is going to depend a lot on whether Todd Frazier, Zack Cozart, and Devon Mesoraco get better. If they don't get any better, Ludwick gets older, and Hamilton struggles getting aclimated with the Majors, then it's going to be a long season.

On the plus side, we should have a strong pitching rotation. Though I think Arroyo will be missed more than people realized. That guy was great at eating up innings when the staff really needed it. I do have high hopes for Tony Cingrani though. So hopefully he won't be missed too much.

But hey, Dusty Baker's gone. And he was the whole problem right?
Jmble

Postby Bengals1 » March 26th, 2014, 7:54 pm

So, how do the Reds look with opening day next week already? I haven't seen a pre-season game yet and don't really know if I'd watch one anyway.... 8-)
Bengals1

Postby Deadcat » April 4th, 2014, 9:22 am

Well, based on three games, I think the Reds who they were advertised to be. The pitching is excellent and will only get better when players return from the DL. Hitting is sporadic. We continue to rely on the homerun too much. Billy Hamilton is fast, but if you don't get on base that speed does translate to any runs. Frazier has been a nice surprise and Heisey is hitting well to start. Votto is votto. Hopefully this year he regains some of the power he lost last year. Bruce needs to just hit more consistently and cut down on the strikeouts. Phillips needs to get his mojo back as well. Hopefully last year wasn't a sign that his skills are beginning to vanish. I think he's still young enough to hit better and will benefit from Baker not jocking the lineup every day. While the team isn't much different, I think the coaching has improved and some players getting healthy will get this team into the playoffs again. The cardinals and pirates are gonna be tough. Our division won't be any cake walk that's for sure.

On a side note - it's great to have my MLB at Bat App back on my phone and listening to some baseball. That really tells me it's spring even when the weather doesn't.
Deadcat

Postby Deadcat » April 6th, 2014, 9:34 am

1-4, ouch. We played a good series VS the cards but lost 2 of 3. But 2 losses to the mets is hard to stomach.
Deadcat

Postby Bengals1 » April 7th, 2014, 11:27 am

Yeah, looks like another year I can ignore MLB.
Bengals1

Postby MeatHeadbengal » April 8th, 2014, 7:38 am

Bengals1 wrote:Yeah, looks like another year I can ignore MLB.

It's sure starting out that way.
MeatHeadbengal

Postby Benzoo » April 9th, 2014, 10:36 am

I was hoping for better things this season with Dusty being gone. I've watched a few innings here and there. It kind of seems like Pryce is extending spring training into the regular season. He has no definite closer right now. I'm miffed at the center field situation. Hamilton starts all games against the Cards and Bernadina started all games against the Mets. It's still early and a long, long season to go.
Benzoo

Postby Ryno » April 9th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Benzoo wrote:I was hoping for better things this season with Dusty being gone. I've watched a few innings here and there. It kind of seems like Pryce is extending spring training into the regular season. He has no definite closer right now. I'm miffed at the center field situation. Hamilton starts all games against the Cards and Bernadina started all games against the Mets. It's still early and a long, long season to go.

Hamilton was hurt against the mets.
Hear them Bengals growling mean and angry.....
Ryno

Postby Deadcat » April 9th, 2014, 1:42 pm

I think that's the key, it's early.
Deadcat

Next

Return to Baseball