OL

Post by Mag » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:34 pm

Starting OL going into the season is:

LT Glenn
LG Jordan
C Hopkins
RG Miller
RT Hart

Biggest news is our former first round pick center, Price, is going to the bench. Apparently, nagging injuries and good play from Hopkins sealed his fate.

4256 Hits

Re: OL

Post by 4256 Hits » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:10 pm

Andy better update his life insurance policy. :?

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:47 am

Frankly I'm just weirdly excited that we have a coach who is starting the players that play the best. It's such an unBengal like concept that it puts a little more faith in Taylor for me.

I don't think any of us think this is the year we go to the Super Bowl. But I like what I'm seeing out of him so far and I have a little more hope for the future than I did before.

Exile

Post by Exile » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:43 am

Jmble wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:47 am
Frankly I'm just weirdly excited that we have a coach who is starting the players that play the best. It's such an unBengal like concept that it puts a little more faith in Taylor for me.

I don't think any of us think this is the year we go to the Super Bowl. But I like what I'm seeing out of him so far and I have a little more hope for the future than I did before.
I was thinking the same thing. I really like Billy Price, I think he's going to be a really good football player for us, but I respect the fact that Taylor isn't giving him or anyone else a job based on potential or when they were drafted or anything but what he's seeing on the field and what's best for the team.

Mag

Post by Mag » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:03 am

Exile wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:43 am
Jmble wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. I really like Billy Price, I think he's going to be a really good football player for us, but I respect the fact that Taylor isn't giving him or anyone else a job based on potential or when they were drafted or anything but what he's seeing on the field and what's best for the team.
I agree it's refreshing the new staff is playing the best performing players, rather than giving jobs to incumbents or higher draft picks. It shows they have honest and true competition.

What's concerning is 2 of the last 3 first round picks have had little impact in their first 2 years (Ross and Price) and 3 of 5 when you include Ogbuehi. That's not good.

I'm really concerned about the team's ability to find talent in the first round. The last 6 made little to no impact in their first season either not playing, or playing poorly. Only one (Jackson) is on pace for a long term extension as a quality starter.

Historically, the team finds their best players in rounds 2-4. It's getting to the point where they should not bother with the first round and trade down every year.

orange_black

Post by orange_black » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:20 pm

Mag wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:03 am
Exile wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:43 am
Jmble wrote:

I agree it's refreshing the new staff is playing the best performing players, rather than giving jobs to incumbents or higher draft picks. It shows they have honest and true competition.

What's concerning is 2 of the last 3 first round picks have had little impact in their first 2 years (Ross and Price) and 3 of 5 when you include Ogbuehi. That's not good.

I'm really concerned about the team's ability to find talent in the first round. The last 6 made little to no impact in their first season either not playing, or playing poorly. Only one (Jackson) is on pace for a long term extension as a quality starter.

Historically, the team finds their best players in rounds 2-4. It's getting to the point where they should not bother with the first round and trade down every year.
dont forget how awesome our first rounder is going to be this year!!! :|

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:30 pm

Before you get all down on Price has he fully recovered from his injury? Also I've seen where it's saying he's got some nagging injuries, shouldn't judge him if he's trying to play injured folks. We'll see the full picture in a few years, I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

Mag

Post by Mag » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:10 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:30 pm
Before you get all down on Price has he fully recovered from his injury? Also I've seen where it's saying he's got some nagging injuries, shouldn't judge him if he's trying to play injured folks. We'll see the full picture in a few years, I wouldn't give up on him just yet.
I don't mean to say all these players are busts. Injuries happen. Although, he, Ogbuehi, and Ross were injured before they were drafted. Even Jonah had some injuries. Is there a point where we stop drafting injured players in round one? I can understand if these were exceptional players, none really were.

If you are a team that claims to build through the draft, how can you afford to take such huge risks with your premium picks?

Mag

Post by Mag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:57 am

Looks like Price is starting at LG this week. We need him to step up and look like a first round pick. Every day, Hopkins is running away with the starting center job. He's currently rated as a top 10 center, according to PFF. If Price is going to stick, he has to take the LG spot.

I like Jordan's potential, but he has been a liability at times. Of course Price hasn't been much better. Hopefully getting starter reps, will help.

Getting Price to reach his potential will be huge for this team. Not only is Hopkins looking good, Miller is as well. He was average in seattle, but rated in the top ten last week. Getting Price to step up could give us a solid interior and potential hope for this unit.

Mag

Post by Mag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:06 am

https://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry/status ... 12416?s=09

Here's a play that illustrates our need to solidify the LG spot. Hopkins and Miller do a great job on their blocks, while Jordan whiffs on his block. He seems to lose his balance and fall off his block. If he could sustain that block for 1 or 2 seconds longer, Mixon gets a huge gain. Hopkins and Miller take care if their guys, then neutralize the LBs. If Mixon is able to get past Jordan's guy, he has a big hole, with Miller in a position to take ot the safety.

The are several plays like this on Twitter where Hopkins and Miller are blowing guys up, but the LG or the OT are missing their block, causing the play to break down.