Bengals Related News & Notes

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

Re: Bengals Related News & Notes

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:11 am

Who was the Tight End out of San Jose we drafted back in the early 00s? He smoked and could barely run a lap in camp without coughing. No joke!

Shawn Brewer...?

Yeah...we really did our research on him.... :roll:

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:04 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:11 am
Who was the Tight End out of San Jose we drafted back in the early 00s? He smoked and could barely run a lap in camp without coughing. No joke!

Shawn Brewer...?

Yeah...we really did our research on him.... :roll:
I forgot about him lol.

Sounds like my kinda player. He needs to come here to hangout.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:09 pm

You guys act like we're the only team that whiff on pics! Seriously every NFL team has paid scouts and every NFL team miss and I would care to bet they miss just as much as we do. Take for instance the Pats and the year they drafted Brady. Do you realize out of that entire draft other then their 6th round pick those players have less then 20 starts. You seriously have to step back from time to time and realize we're the same as everyone else. We've had our opportunities since 2004 we've just had some bad luck with injuries.

You guys keep pushing the narrative that we are a shitty franchise and we're not, at this point you're no better then these talking cows on the TV spitting bullshit every day!

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:44 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:09 pm
You guys keep pushing the narrative that we are a shitty franchise and we're not, at this point you're no better then these talking cows on the TV spitting bullshit every day!
Yes, every team whiffs now and then, nobody disputes that. But the Bungles seem to do it on a regular basis. Do you really think any of the other 31 teams would have drafted "Junior" Samples in the 2nd? Do you really think that when his name was read that high ANY of the other head coaches slapped their foreheads and exclaimed, "Dammit!!!.....that's who I was going to take next!!!"

The problem isn't just that the Bungles whiff, we've already agreed everyone does now and then, it's the draft philosophy they seem to employ.

They're always looking for a "deal." They clearly pass up players at positions of need to tap players that for one reason or another have fallen. I believe that's SoP influencing the decision making in the draft room. Maybe
Jerry Jones or a few other meddling owners have say over who their teams take on draft day but do you really think Robert Kraft is calling up Belichick and ordering him who to draft? Not likely.

We whiff when we don't need to. Everyone thought Big Daddy Dan Wilkerson was a can't miss prospect but there was a reason all the team's in front of us passed on Oogie-Boogie and Fischer was still sitting there late in the 2nd round. Where the rest of the league passed we leapt to get a "steal" and ended up with 1st round whiff.

Oogie-Boogie
Ross
Price
Gresham
Danica Patrick
Dennard
Two Carry Perry
Warrick
Akili Smith

And the list goes on...

Do some research to back up your point and list another team's 1st round whiffs over the past 20 years or so and let's compare. I'd start with Cleveland... ;)

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:33 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:44 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:09 pm
Yes, every team whiffs now and then, nobody disputes that. But the Bungles seem to do it on a regular basis. Do you really think any of the other 31 teams would have drafted "Junior" Samples in the 2nd? Do you really think that when his name was read that high ANY of the other head coaches slapped their foreheads and exclaimed, "Dammit!!!.....that's who I was going to take next!!!"

The problem isn't just that the Bungles whiff, we've already agreed everyone does now and then, it's the draft philosophy they seem to employ.

They're always looking for a "deal." They clearly pass up players at positions of need to tap players that for one reason or another have fallen. I believe that's SoP influencing the decision making in the draft room. Maybe
Jerry Jones or a few other meddling owners have say over who their teams take on draft day but do you really think Robert Kraft is calling up Belichick and ordering him who to draft? Not likely.

We whiff when we don't need to. Everyone thought Big Daddy Dan Wilkerson was a can't miss prospect but there was a reason all the team's in front of us passed on Oogie-Boogie and Fischer was still sitting there late in the 2nd round. Where the rest of the league passed we leapt to get a "steal" and ended up with 1st round whiff.

Oogie-Boogie
Ross
Price
Gresham
Danica Patrick
Dennard
Two Carry Perry
Warrick
Akili Smith

And the list goes on...

Do some research to back up your point and list another team's 1st round whiffs over the past 20 years or so and let's compare. I'd start with Cleveland... ;)
It's funny because almost every team does it except for a few but we are so focused on the Bengals that we think our team is the only one that this happens to at a certain frequency. In reality we have just as many problems as everyone else. Go back and look the Jets, Giants, Bills, Bucks, and the list goes on and you'll find these same type of instances. Seriously we aren't a bad franchise we're just not elite, and we've had some back luck with injuries.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:04 am

So your argument Meat boils down to: "Yeah we suck....but so do some other teams so that makes it alright."

Wow, talk about damming with faint praise. :|

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:57 am

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... s-in-2013/

Interested read to what we're talking about here.

Patriots haven't drafted a pro bowl player in 6 years, bengals rate second in that and the highest pick the pats have had in that span is 23rd and they picked Isisah Wynn.

Believe their argument here is that it shouldn't be the bengals with the number of high draft choices they've had.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:20 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:04 am
So your argument Meat boils down to: "Yeah we suck....but so do some other teams so that makes it alright."

Wow, talk about damming with faint praise. :|
No I'm not saying that, you are the one saying we suck. I'm saying we're just a normal franchise that's had some bad luck. Everyone has draft misses we are just hyper sensitive to our own which makes it feel like we are the worst. Seriously go and look at other teams drafts, we're normal!

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:12 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:20 pm
No I'm not saying that, you are the one saying we suck. I'm saying we're just a normal franchise that's had some bad luck. Everyone has draft misses we are just hyper sensitive to our own which makes it feel like we are the worst. Seriously go and look at other teams drafts, we're normal!

Your normal is our sucks.

And as I've stated before, its not just that we've whiffed on high end picks its WHY we've whiffed. Again, as I've already agreed, every team whiffs occasionally. You seem to be caught up in the frequency while I'm arguing the philosophy behind our whiffs. We whiff so often (whether its greater or lesser than other teams is not my point)because our entire draft structure from upper mgmt to the understaffed scouting dept.....sucks.

We too often go after "deals" and "steals" rather than taking the solid college player at the obvious position of need. Chris "two carry" Perry over Chris Gamble taken two picks later by Carolina leaps to mind. We desperately needed CB help that year but instead of taking a solid college player at the exact position we needed most we took a RB a need position waaaaaaaaay down the line. Perry did nothing in the NFL and was part of the now infamous dipshit shovel pass disaster while Gamble went on to start for Carolina, played 9 years, was an All Pro and voted to the Pro Bowl several times as well as starting on Carolina's Super Bowl team that ultimately lost to New England.

I'm sure there were other whiffs like this but this one is the most clearest in my mind as I write this.

And this is not just my opinion, here are some excerpts from the article JoeB cited above....

“The case of Cincinnati’s struggles is easy enough to solve: cheap ownership, a small scouting department and inadequate player development under the stale leadership of former coach Marvin Lewis, whose successor just completed a spectacularly successful tank in Year One."

"The Bengals are the only other team without having one of their draft choices over the past six years turn into a Pro Bowler, according to Andrew Callahan of the Boston Herald."

I know other teams have their problems too but ours are so.....avoidable.

Higher more scouts, make them full time and don't expect position coaches to split their time as scouts, draft players at obvious positions of need and eschew "deals" and "steals", avoid reaching for players several rounds before their talent warrants, try - wherever possible to take players out of proven college programs like Alabama, Auburn, Ohio State etc... and not tap small school wonders out of places like Utah State, Fresno and East Carolina etc...

They can do much.....MUCH better at drafting. They just need to put more emphasis on it and like Joe Burrow keeps hinting at, care more about winning and not just fielding a team and making money for the cheapskate owner. :x

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:38 pm

Zac says he can't imagine a scenario where they trade out of the first pick....

[https://sports.yahoo.com/bengals-coach- ... 16133.html]