Bengals Related News & Notes

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

Re: Bengals Related News & Notes

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:30 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:29 pm
An important note — that’s with franchise-tagged safety Jessie Bates checking in at roughly $12.9 million despite the fact he hasn’t technically signed the tag yet. He will, barring an extension before the July 15 deadline. Also worth noting — an extension wouldn’t impact this year’s cap number that much, if any.
How certain are you he's going to sign? PFT or somesuch site had a story claiming Bates is telling friends and teammates he won't play under the tag.

Could be a bluff, could be bullsh*t, could be just clickbait.

Or it could be true.

For Bates, that's perfectly fine, as he has no plans to play under the one-year tag, and will not even be in attendance for any of the team's offseason training activities according to Tyler Dragon of USA Today. Instead, Bates wants a long-term contract, giving him more financial security.May 17, 2022

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:58 am

Tell me this ain't Chris Henry running this route. Slim Jr is 7-8 years away from being a Bengal and I'm here for every minute of it. I just hope Pacman keeps him clean but we all know the chances of that.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisHenryJr ... UTkmDiro5Q
Seeking Superbowls

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:30 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:58 am
Tell me this ain't Chris Henry running this route. Slim Jr is 7-8 years away from being a Bengal and I'm here for every minute of it. I just hope Pacman keeps him clean but we all know the chances of that.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisHenryJr ... UTkmDiro5Q
I know. The resemblance is spooky, isn't it? 8-)

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:28 pm

I'm pleased with my team. No offseason drama. Zip, zero, nada. No trash talking, no draft issues, no camp problems. We are so far under the radar right now we might as well be a USFL team. And I'm loving it.

Welcome July. Last month before our SB run!
Seeking Superbowls

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:42 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:28 pm
I'm pleased with my team. No offseason drama. Zip, zero, nada. No trash talking, no draft issues, no camp problems. We are so far under the radar right now we might as well be a USFL team. And I'm loving it.

Two words: Jessie Bates

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:03 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:42 pm
stripesincarolina wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:28 pm

Two words: Jessie Bates
I'm not quite there yet. These things often sort themselves out just prior to camp. We'll see.
Seeking Superbowls

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:14 am

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... e-july-15/

Well, addressing my own response in the prior post, I think things may be sorted out with Bates. There's just no way they can sign him without pretty dramatically altering the way they have done business to date. And if Bates plays under the tag, he is playing for his future salary with another team and really cant afford to slack off. So his other option is to sit out the season, not risk injury, forego the $12mm tag money knowing he will make it back on his next contract.

It will be interesting to see if Bates decides to play or sit. Given his asshole agent I'm inclined to think he might sit.
Seeking Superbowls

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:18 am

Called it two years ago. 8-)

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:58 am

stripesincarolina wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:14 am
forego the $12mm tag money knowing he will make it back on his next contract.

No chance he makes 12 mil back if he doesn't play. No team is going to pay him 12 million more than he would have if he doesn't play this season. Plus he didn't play great last season so his best chance is play great this year make 12 million and then go sign a big contract.

Only chance is sitting out make financial sense is if he thinks he is going to play like shit this season and nobody will want to give him big money or he is expecting a career altering injury next season.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:10 am

Cats open as 6.5 favorites to beat the Squealers on opening day. 8-)