Bengals Related News & Notes

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

Re: Bengals Related News & Notes

Post by Bengals1 » Mon May 16, 2022 7:56 pm

Ho boy..... 😬

Tyler Dragon @TheTylerDragon
Bengals safety Jessie Bates has no intentions of playing under franchise tag, per a person close to the situation. He's not expected to attend OTAs or report to training camp.

https://www.usatodaysportsplus.com/stor ... 799290002/

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Mon May 16, 2022 11:06 pm

Simple, let him rot. If he isnt smart enough to understand his personal wealth would help destroy the thing he is hoping to play for then I dont want him. He had a rather bland 2020 and was basically playing for his career in 2021. I'm not willing to break the bank on Bates when we drafted pretty dang well in the secondary.

He's right that some unfortunate team out there will pay him top dollar and think he's the key to rebuilding their defense. But it cant be here and I dont think he's the key to anything. He's replaceable.
Seeking Superbowls

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Tue May 17, 2022 4:01 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 7:56 pm
Ho boy..... 😬

Bengals safety Jessie Bates has no intentions of playing under franchise tag, per a person close to the situation. He's not expected to attend OTAs or report to training camp.

It's his right to not sign the deal. I'm not going to feel sorry for the guy though. If he doesn't want to play a year making the average of the top five players at his position, then so be it. By all accounts we have drafted a pretty good replacement. I'd rather have Bates out there this year, but the team isn't going to fold without him on the field.

Having said that, he'll probably show up on the field just in time to not miss any paychecks.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue May 17, 2022 4:17 pm

Jmble wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 4:01 pm
Bengals1 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 7:56 pm
Ho boy..... 😬

It's his right to not sign the deal. I'm not going to feel sorry for the guy though. If he doesn't want to play a year making the average of the top five players at his position, then so be it. By all accounts we have drafted a pretty good replacement. I'd rather have Bates out there this year, but the team isn't going to fold without him on the field.

Having said that, he'll probably show up on the field just in time to not miss any paychecks.
He's made it very clear he does not plan or want to sit out this year.

All this negativity towards Bates I think is silly, it should be towards the organization and making sure they sign a 24 year old who's got a good 5 years a prime playing time ahead of him and them not willing to step up to the plate and pay him. I don't blame him, I don't blame the fans, I squarely blame the Bengals for being f'n obtuse sometimes.

Jmble

Post by Jmble » Tue May 17, 2022 4:25 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 4:17 pm
Jmble wrote:

All this negativity towards Bates I think is silly, it should be towards the organization and making sure they sign a 24 year old who's got a good 5 years a prime playing time ahead of him and them not willing to step up to the plate and pay him. I don't blame him, I don't blame the fans, I squarely blame the Bengals for being f'n obtuse sometimes.
It's their plan. You don't have to agree with it, but they see pay days for Burrow, Higgins, and Chase (to name the biggest three) coming down the pipeline and see Bates as a very good player (who by the way, had a pretty off year compared to previous years) who can be replaced. They threw the franchise tag on him, which will pay him a bunch of money for the year and drafted his replacement.

As much as I hate standing by the Bengals when it comes to contract situations, they have shown over the years now that they are willing to pay the guys who are the face of the franchise and are willing to play the next man up card at positions that they feel they can continue to turn around. They've done it for years in the Defensive Back field and for the most part it's worked. They've managed to find guys to plug in back there when they let other guys go off to get huge contracts somewhere else.

And for the record, I wasn't personally saying anything negative towards Bates. I just don't feel sorry for him. It's his decision whether to take the big paycheck to play the year or sit out and collect nothing. That's the way the NFLPA set the rules up.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue May 17, 2022 6:21 pm

Jmble wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 4:25 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 4:17 pm
Jmble wrote:

It's their plan. You don't have to agree with it, but they see pay days for Burrow, Higgins, and Chase (to name the biggest three) coming down the pipeline and see Bates as a very good player (who by the way, had a pretty off year compared to previous years) who can be replaced. They threw the franchise tag on him, which will pay him a bunch of money for the year and drafted his replacement.

As much as I hate standing by the Bengals when it comes to contract situations, they have shown over the years now that they are willing to pay the guys who are the face of the franchise and are willing to play the next man up card at positions that they feel they can continue to turn around. They've done it for years in the Defensive Back field and for the most part it's worked. They've managed to find guys to plug in back there when they let other guys go off to get huge contracts somewhere else.

And for the record, I wasn't personally saying anything negative towards Bates. I just don't feel sorry for him. It's his decision whether to take the big paycheck to play the year or sit out and collect nothing. That's the way the NFLPA set the rules up.
There's no reason why we couldn't sign those guys and Bates is my point. Some how you see the Browns sign a CB to the most in history right after that they sign a QB for the most in history. We could get all these guys done if the franchise chose too but it's seems very clear allowing a 24 year old very very talented Safety is allowed to walk. Now I'm not saying folks here but there's been a lot of idiots on twitter just flat out wrong and saying we can just replace him. No you can't just replace Bates, he's only 24 and has a hell of a lot of experience under his belt already, not to mention his best football is ahead of him. I Just find this frustrating like all of us and the logic we have to save money for other players is complete BS we can afford it, they just haven't been creative enough to figure it out yet.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue May 17, 2022 7:45 pm

I agree with jmble 100%.

And yes.....I feel dirty just typing that out..... :cry:

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Tue May 17, 2022 10:00 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:21 pm
Some how you see the Browns sign a CB to the most in history right after that they sign a QB for the most in history.
And they are spending about a buck fifty on WR's. I would not use the Browns as an example of how to run a NFL team.

For every dollar they overpay Bates is one less dollar they have to resign other players or to bring in FA.

2021 PFF grade: 64.3 (47th of 94) I know that PFF is not perfect but does a good job. That is definition of above average and teams can't overpay for above average. I think Bates thinks he should be paid as if he is a top 5 safety but his play did not match that expectation in a year he knew was his contract year.

I hope they can sign him but it has to be a contract that matches his level of play.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Fri May 20, 2022 5:23 am

This likely has to do with the money on the back of the deal when they’ll need to give burrow 50M+ and have a bunch of WRs who need paid

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Tue May 24, 2022 5:04 pm

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... le-injury/

I know what the story says, but all I really care about is was this documented? Did we know when we signed him?
Seeking Superbowls