Official 2024 Draft Thread, All things Draft.

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
MeatHeadbengal

Official 2024 Draft Thread, All things Draft.

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:40 pm

We're officially out of the playoffs and as of right now we're sitting at 16th in the first round. I know it's early but college football is on the tip of our minds since bowl season is coming to a dramatic close.

orange_black

Re: Official 2024 Draft Thread, All things Draft.

Post by orange_black » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:54 pm

bolster the Oline..... fix the defense.

maybe a new punter too.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:01 pm

Does anyone here think that Zac will be making any coaching changes at all? Or, anyone being cherry picked for a job? I'm not entirely convinced that our Oline coach isnt a big part of the problem.
Seeking Superbowls

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:18 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:01 pm
I'm not entirely convinced that our Oline coach isnt a big part of the problem.
It is hard to believe that all this high priced FA just suddenly got worse once they came to cincy.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:54 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Does anyone here think that Zac will be making any coaching changes at all? Or, anyone being cherry picked for a job? I'm not entirely convinced that our Oline coach isnt a big part of the problem.
I believe the consensus here is, as much as we like him, he's a big part of the problem.

I would be interested to know how much improvement in overall grades Volson had in the second half of the season? From the overall eye test he was a very big asset in the run game. From what I was seeing his performance in later weeks on the season was actually pretty good, but I'd be interested in seeing where PFF has him graded.

As for other coaches I'm hoping our OC gets plucked, I don't think very highly of our offensive schemes, and I don't see Lou being plucked because our defense struggled so much this season.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:05 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:54 pm
stripesincarolina wrote:
I believe the consensus here is, as much as we like him, he's a big part of the problem.

I would be interested to know how much improvement in overall grades Volson had in the second half of the season? From the overall eye test he was a very big asset in the run game. From what I was seeing his performance in later weeks on the season was actually pretty good, but I'd be interested in seeing where PFF has him graded.

As for other coaches I'm hoping our OC gets plucked, I don't think very highly of our offensive schemes, and I don't see Lou being plucked because our defense struggled so much this season.
Agree with everything you said here.
Seeking Superbowls

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:47 pm

Well its official. We lost the #1 safety in the league this year in Jesse Bates. :x And boy did it hurt!
Seeking Superbowls

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:02 pm

The problem with this upcoming draft is that out of necessity, its going to be a draft of replacement rather than enhancement. By that I mean, we're going to be spending our first handful of picks on replacing players we've lost rather than adding players we could use to improve the team. This is largely going to be a status quo off-season I'm afraid.

By my calculation, here are the starting players I expect we won't see back in 2024...

Tee Higgins - too expensive, will sign with another team (Please don't let it be the Chiefs! :x )
Jonah Williams - ex-first round pick who will expect first round money. Even if he never earned it. Bengals won't pay it. (nor should they)
DJ Reader - his injury towards the end of the season might mean he'll resign on the cheap or it might not. Even if he resigns, his late season injury means he might not be 100% at the start of next season. Another DT will need to be found.
Chidobe Awuzi - Lost a step after his last injury. Might resign if he'll agree to incentive heavy contract. Most likely he'll walk.
Drew "Junior" Sample - former 2nd round pick who never lived up to his draft place. Will no doubt want 2nd round money. Bengals won't pay it. (nor should they)

I expect the club to go hard to resign Boyd and Hudson. I can't see them letting Boyd and Higgins go in the same off-season and Boyd should come cheaper. Hudson fills the need for a decent if unspectacular starting TE.

I hope they sign a RT in Free Agency and possible even replace Pollack. Our history of drafting O-lineman high is not good. :roll: Plus, I don't want to enter the season with a rookie RT protecting Joe Glass. That's a recipe for disaster. With all that being said (or written as it were...) I suspect they will use our first three picks in the upcoming draft to try and fill DT, WR and CB.

I'm sure its too much to hope Zac relinquishes the play calling duties next season. But he should.... :x

TheBurn

Post by TheBurn » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:21 am

there he is!
good to hear from ya B1...

i was thinking the same thing as far as Reader goes

Joe the Sot

Post by Joe the Sot » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:23 am

Welcome back B1 agree with all your points but can also see Boyd gone, also Mixon unlikely to return too.