Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Bengals1

Re: Cats V Bills Game Thread

Post by Bengals1 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:29 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:25 pm
stripesincarolina wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:23 pm
Thank God. Very unimpressive second half. But we fight on.
Shoulda coulda woulda, we won!
Yeah, I'm with Meat. It's not like they were playing the Bears or Cardinals. That was the Bills out there and we handled them.....again.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:06 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:58 pm
Tee Higgens gentlemen....enjoy him while you can.
Enjoy this Defense and Sweet Lou while u can too cause someone gonna swipe him up quickkkkkkkk as soon as this seasons over for us.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:19 pm

Here are some negatives, I know, but someone has to do it or B1 will. :P

I don't like the way we take Mixon outta the run games for very long stretches. I know Burrow is, well, Burrow, and he can get it done but I honestly think Mixon is having a great year and you all know me and I've been a Mixon basher for a few years now. But I give the guy credit he's running with authority this year and getting shit done.

Feed Hudson and feed him alot. The guy looked great running and cutting and catching last night. Looked like he belonged and has been part of this offense for awhile now.

Feed and use Boyd more. I've said this a thousand times to anyone around me that will listen. He's the most underrated WR we have on this team and honestly the he runs perfect routes and you never ever hardly see him drop a ball.

Let's hope this is a learning year for Myles Murphy :? If we lose Hendrickson, which I hope to gawd we don't Murphys gonna have to step up and step up big. Or we're going to be forced to draft another Edge early in the draft.

I hope Chase is ok. I think he had a bad night and that's ok. It happens to the best of em. Was proud of Tee..man I hate to see him walk by afraid it's going to happen.

I think Battle can start over Scott like now....prove me wrong.

I mean guys think about this: we just beat the 9ers and bills like they were the Mike Shula Bengals of old. We honestly didn't struggle hardly at all with either team and if we stay healthy we going a long ways.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:03 pm

It was a good, solid victory over a play-off and possibly Super Bowl contending team. We seemed to be in control almost the entire game much like the week before in Frisco.

That does not mean everything's fine.

We still abandon the running game much to early and much too easily. I truly don't understand this as Zac himself has openly acknowledged its a problem. If the HC sees it how has it not been addressed by now...? Especially, when he's the one calling the plays! This situation makes no sense.

It was great to see the TEs getting more involved. Hell, even Junior Samples scored a TD! It does however beg the question, where have they been all season? Why has it taken 8 games to begin integrating them into the offense? Another Zac mystery.

The defense plays great....until it doesn't. They still have a tendency to revert to the "bend but don't break" mode every few drives. It would be nice to see more consistency.

The O-line has definitely improved but Burrow still gets sacked too often. Maybe he holds on to the ball too long? Maybe it's because of slow developing plays? I dunno. But I expect they'll look to upgrade at Guard over the off-season.

They refuse to use Chris Evans at RB. At this point he's become strictly a Special Teams player. I suspect he'll be gone next year and another RB will be added in the draft.

But that's for next year.

Here's to an even better second half of the season!

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:21 pm

They have no run game to abandon. Mixon averaged 2.6 a carry. Take out his 12 yard run and it was 2 yards. He is only averaging 3.9 a carry for the year. If run it more the only result will be is more punts.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:47 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:21 pm
They have no run game to abandon. Mixon averaged 2.6 a carry. Take out his 12 yard run and it was 2 yards. He is only averaging 3.9 a carry for the year. If run it more the only result will be is more punts.
I honestly believe they limit his carries throughout the season so he's fresh for the post season. We run the ball a lot more then.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:12 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:47 pm
4256 Hits wrote:
I honestly believe they limit his carries throughout the season so he's fresh for the post season. We run the ball a lot more then.
That may well be the case. I don't necessarily agree with this strategy but at least it explains a few things.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:24 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
A perfect example of what I'm talking about was our 1st and goal from the two yard line on our second drive.

On first down they tried a pass. On second down they tried a pass. Finally, on third down they ran Mixon between the Tackles and he virtually walked in. Even motor-mouth Collingsworth said if they'd have given Mixon the ball on first down he'd have scored with ease.

What's the problem you ask? We scored anyway, didn't we? No big deal, right?

Except by eschewing the run on the first two downs instead of going for an almost certain scoring run on first down you open up a Pandora's box of possible miscues. What if the ball had been intercepted...? What if Burrow had been sacked...?

See what I'm getting at?

Just run the damn ball when the running game is working and stop being too clever by half. We came out of it OK last night but what if this had been a play-off game or a must win against Baltimore or Cleveland etc...?

Stop over thinking it. It's still a game of inches and most games are lost and not won. Consider that.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:40 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:24 pm
A perfect example of what I'm talking about was our 1st and goal from the two yard line on our second drive.

On first down they tried a pass. On second down they tried a pass. Finally, on third down they ran Mixon between the Tackles and he virtually walked in. Even motor-mouth Collingsworth said if they'd have given Mixon the ball on first down he'd have scored with ease.

What's the problem you ask? We scored anyway, didn't we? No big deal, right?

Except by eschewing the run on the first two downs instead of going for an almost certain scoring run on first down you open up a Pandora's box of possible miscues. What if the ball had been intercepted...? What if Burrow had been sacked...?

See what I'm getting at?

Just run the damn ball when the running game is working and stop being too clever by half. We came out of it OK last night but what if this had been a play-off game or a must win against Baltimore or Cleveland etc...?

Stop over thinking it. It's still a game of inches and most games are lost and not won. Consider that.
We've tried the run the ball in on 1st and 2nd down from the 2 and have failed this year. I don't necessarily disagree with you on we should have ran the ball the first 2 downs but if we did and we didn't get it then what? Run again on 3rd or throw the ball and open Pandora's box as you say.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:49 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:40 am
We've tried the run the ball in on 1st and 2nd down from the 2 and have failed this year. I don't necessarily disagree with you on we should have ran the ball the first 2 downs but if we did and we didn't get it then what? Run again on 3rd or throw the ball and open Pandora's box as you say.
Talk to Pete Carroll about passing first near the goal line when your running game is working well.... 8-)