Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
MeatHeadbengal

Re: Cats V Bills Game Thread

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:06 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:49 am
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:40 am
We've tried the run the ball in on 1st and 2nd down from the 2 and have failed this year. I don't necessarily disagree with you on we should have ran the ball the first 2 downs but if we did and we didn't get it then what? Run again on 3rd or throw the ball and open Pandora's box as you say.
Talk to Pete Carroll about passing first near the goal line when your running game is working well.... 8-)
To play devils advocate however do you really think our running game was working well?

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:39 am

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:06 am
Bengals1 wrote:
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
We've tried the run the ball in on 1st and 2nd down from the 2 and have failed this year. I don't necessarily disagree with you on we should have ran the ball the first 2 downs but if we did and we didn't get it then what? Run again on 3rd or throw the ball and open Pandora's box as you say.
Talk to Pete Carroll about passing first near the goal line when your running game is working well.... 8-)
To play devils advocate however do you really think our running game was working well?
Yes. Like I said, Collingsworth said himself Mixon could have walked in on 1st down if they'd just have handed him the ball. Its not just my lone opinion.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:29 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:24 pm
4256 Hits wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:21 pm
They have no run game to abandon. Mixon averaged 2.6 a carry. Take out his 12 yard run and it was 2 yards. He is only averaging 3.9 a carry for the year. If run it more the only result will be is more punts.
A perfect example of what I'm talking about was our 1st and goal from the two yard line on our second drive.

On first down they tried a pass. On second down they tried a pass. Finally, on third down they ran Mixon between the Tackles and he virtually walked in. Even motor-mouth Collingsworth said if they'd have given Mixon the ball on first down he'd have scored with ease.

What's the problem you ask? We scored anyway, didn't we? No big deal, right?

Except by eschewing the run on the first two downs instead of going for an almost certain scoring run on first down you open up a Pandora's box of possible miscues. What if the ball had been intercepted...? What if Burrow had been sacked...?

See what I'm getting at?

Just run the damn ball when the running game is working and stop being too clever by half. We came out of it OK last night but what if this had been a play-off game or a must win against Baltimore or Cleveland etc...?

Stop over thinking it. It's still a game of inches and most games are lost and not won. Consider that.
3rd down the D was not expecting the run is what helped it be so effective. They don't run more because Mixon is not that good at it and the OL is not that good at blocking for it. I will take my chances with Burrow and the 3 WR over the running game. Plus Mixon did have 5 catches.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:31 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Expect the Bengals running game is never working well.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:04 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:31 pm
Bengals1 wrote:
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Expect the Bengals running game is never working well.
I disagree. It's never been given a fighting chance under Zac.