Bengals at the Bye. Thoughts....?

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
Exile

Re: Bengals at the Bye. Thoughts....?

Post by Exile » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:29 pm

On his podcast, Dehner made the observation that it's crucial for Joe to have trust with the guys he's throwing to, and right now he doesn't seem to trust anyone who isn't a wide receiver. Irv Smith and Mixon have dropped so many that he doesn't even look at them unless he absolutely has to. Dehner seemed to think that's part of the problem with Burrow's game right now, hesitancy because he doesn't trust certain guys. Maybe so. Even among the receivers, I don't know, Tee is not looking nearly as good as he looked the last couple years. Hopefully he can turn it around.

It's an interesting comment about more under center run game and play action. As I remember it, we looked pretty terrible trying to do that last season because it's not where Burrow's comfortable. He'd rather be in the shotgun with things spread out in front of him. If Joe can work in more of a McVay/Shannahan type of wide zone offense, that would be great. There's a reason why it's hugely popular. But so far, to the extent that Zac tried to bring it into Cincinnati, it hasn't looked good.

Overall I'm okay with where our defense is at. Not that it doesn't need to get better--it does--but I think you had to expect some growing pains, especially with Chido out. Really impressed with CTB's growth over the course of last season into this season, and Turner looks like he will ultimately be very good as well. You can see why they were content to move on from Jessie with Dax, but he's still a work in progress. Looks absolutely phenomenal at times but still needs more consistency. I don't know if Myles Murphy isn't very good, isn't ready, or is just behind too many dudes, but I hope that doesn't turn out to be a wasted first rounder.