White tigers v goats game thread

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
MeatHeadbengal

Re: White tigers v goats game thread

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:57 am

Bengals1 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:38 am
Obviously we're all happy with the win but there are a couple of things that are still worrisome...

Volson got abused like a babysitter at JoeB's house. I know they lined up Aaron Donald over him a lot last night and he's one of the top rushers in the game but still. Volson was a turnstile last night....period. And it's not just last night, he's been getting beaten often this season. I know it's early and maybe it's just rust but this trend is worrisome, especially playing in front of a QB with a gimpy leg.
So I'm going to push back on this big time, I went back and watched all of Volson's snaps. He actually played pretty darn well, he walled off the nose on Mixon's TD run to spring him, he also pushed his guy past the 1st down sticks on that late crucial 4th down run, he was the furthest O-linemen down field on that play. 1 of the two sacks for the game I would attribute to him he got his shoulders turned on a DL twist stunt putting him in really bad position to pick up the twisting DL. Other then that he really didn't play too bad. The second sack Donald squeezed between Cappa and Karras. Sure I feel like he's still our worst pass protector but they isolated Donald on him all night and the only sack I'd attribute to him had to come off a twist. I think he still needs work on his punch, keeping his feet moving and staying square but that's all linemen honestly.

From what I looked at he had about 10 plus plays where I think he did really good, he had about 4 plays where he looked like shit, and everything else was in the stalemate category.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:44 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:57 am
So I'm going to push back on this big time, I went back and watched all of Volson's snaps. He actually played pretty darn well, he walled off the nose on Mixon's TD run to spring him, he also pushed his guy past the 1st down sticks on that late crucial 4th down run, he was the furthest O-linemen down field on that play. 1 of the two sacks for the game I would attribute to him he got his shoulders turned on a DL twist stunt putting him in really bad position to pick up the twisting DL. Other then that he really didn't play too bad. The second sack Donald squeezed between Cappa and Karras. Sure I feel like he's still our worst pass protector but they isolated Donald on him all night and the only sack I'd attribute to him had to come off a twist. I think he still needs work on his punch, keeping his feet moving and staying square but that's all linemen honestly.

From what I looked at he had about 10 plus plays where I think he did really good, he had about 4 plays where he looked like shit, and everything else was in the stalemate category.
One of the sports programs highlighted him last night after the game. They showed him in isolation getting abused by Donald over and over. So its not just my imagination.

I just had this debate with Jmble off site and he said I was being too harsh too, that Arnold is one of the best rushers in the league and the Rams were deliberately lining him up across from Volson. I replied that was correct, and that's because they saw the same thing I did, he's currently the weak link on the line.

I'll concede its still early. I'll further concede he's only in his second year in the league. I'm not calling for his head. I'm not saying he should get the hook. But so far, it looks like he's not progressing. Let's see how he does in the next two games before the bye. But yeah, if he hasn't improved by then we might want to think about sitting him for someone else.

Assuming we have another Guard to replace him with... :?

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:17 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:44 pm
One of the sports programs highlighted him last night after the game. They showed him in isolation getting abused by Donald over and over. So its not just my imagination.

I just had this debate with Jmble off site and he said I was being too harsh too, that Arnold is one of the best rushers in the league and the Rams were deliberately lining him up across from Volson. I replied that was correct, and that's because they saw the same thing I did, he's currently the weak link on the line.

I'll concede its still early. I'll further concede he's only in his second year in the league. I'm not calling for his head. I'm not saying he should get the hook. But so far, it looks like he's not progressing. Let's see how he does in the next two games before the bye. But yeah, if he hasn't improved by then we might want to think about sitting him for someone else.

Assuming we have another Guard to replace him with... :?
So again I went back and just watched the entire game and I'm not convinced he was getting abused over and over again. What I saw was 4 plays, I'd even concede 6 plays total where he was abused and I'd say 10 plays where he did above and beyond, everything else was just stalemate. I'd be interested to see how they graded him out on PFF.

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:25 pm

Bengals1 wrote:

I just had this debate with Jmble off site and he said I was being too harsh too,
Is Jmble banned from posting here? If not why didn't he make those comments for all of us to read. We could all enjoy some of his wisdom.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:41 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:25 pm
Bengals1 wrote:

I just had this debate with Jmble off site and he said I was being too harsh too,
Is Jmble banned from posting here? If not why didn't he make those comments for all of us to read. We could all enjoy some of his wisdom.
Jmble'a been busy. He recently moved into a bigger house. You know what a headache moving can be.

I'm sure he'll be back, he's practically a Bengals fanatic.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:16 pm

This is cool... 8-)

Ari Meirov @MySportsUpdate
Aaron Rodgers talking about Joe Burrow on
@PatMcAfeeShow : "I don't think people realize how much pain and limited mobility he was in."
Rodgers sent Burrow a text: “That’s what great competitors do. They show up and play through the pain and don't make it a big deal.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:19 pm

Tyler Curtis @tc696
A lot of crap being given to Volson today and I understand why. But let’s be serious here. Burrow was sacked twice and hit 6 times. That’s not a bad day for “a bad line."

David James @jdavis3142
@LanceMcAlister
Burrow looks like he's getting some confidence back. Dax Hill looked great. Tee needs to figure it out. Two drops and a PI call are not great. Interior OL needs to be addressed, Volson is getting eaten up.

Jeff Beckham @Jeff_Beckham
Volson is not off to a great start. Sophomore slump? Karras will be helping him a lot this season - hopefully.

Bengalscentre @bengaIscentre
Bottom three Bengals from their week three win against the Rams:

1. Cordell Volson
2. Tee Higgins
3. Brad Robbins

steven p. evans @stevo599
Volson is not going to like the tape, when it is played in the o-line room, this week.He was terrible!

Let me explain the above since I'm sure it will go over some people's heads. (Guess who...? ;) )

I'm merely pointing out here what I said before, I'm not the only one who felt Volson was/is the weak link on our O-line right now. Other people are seeing it too. Lots of other people. I could have posted 20 more Tweets just like these but I trust I've made my point.

And since if I don't repeat this some (you know who ;) ) will accuse me of hating Volson and wanting him dead ill say this again...

It's early....he's only in his second season...let's see how he plays in the next two weeks...we can reevaluate him at the bye...yadda....yadda...yadda...

Yeesh.... :roll:

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:11 pm

I'm going to say this, there was 2 sacks yesterday, 1 was because of Volson the other was between Kappa and Karras. Anyway you slice it we dropped back 50 times and only had 2 sacks. Not great but not that bad with a immobile QB.

Joe Bananas

Post by Joe Bananas » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:37 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:11 pm
I'm going to say this, there was 2 sacks yesterday, 1 was because of Volson the other was between Kappa and Karras. Anyway you slice it we dropped back 50 times and only had 2 sacks. Not great but not that bad with a immobile QB.
Looking at it that way meat I'll take it. Not sure we need to do that every game cause I actually was impressed with Mixon last night. Thought he ran hard all night. That's what I've been wanting to see outta him.
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:32 pm

Joe Bananas wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:37 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:11 pm
Looking at it that way meat I'll take it. Not sure we need to do that every game cause I actually was impressed with Mixon last night. Thought he ran hard all night. That's what I've been wanting to see outta him.
JB, I will agree with you that Mixon ran hard last night. The only problem is half the time he ran right into a blitzer or the back of the lineman!! He had his moments, and ultimately it was enough. But this cannot be our plan at RB past this year. We need a much more effective RB to take some of the heat off of Burrow and open up the passing game again. Mixon simply isn't fast enough to win the edge against these very quick CBs and many LBs.
Seeking Superbowls