Post by Joe Bananas » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:25 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:02 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:12 pm
orange_black wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:51 pm
Curious to hear Meat's take one the oline play... other than "They sucked"
I really didn't get to watch much, was traveling a lot today and spending some time with my 95 yr old grand father. I'll see if I can find a replay and take a closer look.
Watch the Center. I lost count how many times it looked like he got pushed back into Burrow or their DT just brushed him aside. :roll:
Honestly we all laugh at them but Cleveland has a good team. I mean what, 2 all pros on oline? Myles Garrett, Watson, Cooper, Chub isn't no slouch. One heck of a defensive line. They get excellent pressure. Lbs ain't bad. Secondary is good. I don't like to say all this. But they're not a bad team. Should they have made us look this bad? Hell noooo! We weren't ready. Burrow is 3 or 4 games from being 100%
I was crazy back when being crazy really meant something.

Bengals1

Re: Cats vs Clowns Game Thread.

Post by Bengals1 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:45 pm

From another site...

We don't yet have the All-22 film for this game, but I was able to use the player-tracking data from NFL Next Gen Stats to get a sense of how the Browns outfoxed Burrow and Cincy on third downs.

Debuting Browns defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz made two clear choices on defense, and they were both interesting. I'll start on the coverage side. The Browns almost always showed one coverage look before the snap before spinning a safety and presenting something different to Burrow after the snap. Most often, they started with two high safeties and then rolled into a single-high coverage afterward. They played a lot of Cover 1 man and Cover 1 robber, where a safety patrols the deep middle of the field, a safety or linebacker tries to take away crossing routes underneath and everyone else plays man coverage across the field.

Schwartz tried to limit Burrow to throws into the flat and up the sideline, even if it meant placing his cornerbacks and safeties on an island in coverage. It worked. Burrow threw a career-high 71% of his passes outside the numbers, going 8-of-22 for only 44 yards on those throws. He typically averages 7.5 yards per attempt on those throws, so the Browns couldn't have dreamt he would fail to top 2.0 yards per throw on those passes.

As the game wore on, the Browns showed a wider variety of coverage looks. Throughout the day, though, they tried to slow Burrow's post-snap processing and force him to throw low-percentage, high-upside passes. Cleveland lived dangerously, but amid the bad weather, the tactic was wildly successful.

Up front, Schwartz moved star edge rusher Myles Garrett around the defensive line. Switching him from one side to the other isn't anything new, and we saw some designed overloads to deliver Garrett one-on-one opportunities against a tackle, but one alignment that was particularly interesting popped up a couple of times. On the second third down of the game, the Browns stood up Garrett directly in front of center Ted Karras as part of a five-man front, making the Bengals block each lineman one-on-one. Garrett badly beat Karras at the snap, forcing an immediate scramble from Burrow and creating a sack for Ogbo Okoronkwo.

Lining up Garrett over the interior makes sense. Burrow has developed into an excellent quarterback in terms of getting the ball out quickly, and putting Garrett over the center creates the quickest path to the passer. The strength of the Bengals' offensive line is considered to be tackles Orlando Brown Jr. and Jonah Williams, leaving Garrett to attack weaker pass protectors on the interior.

The Browns pulled the tactic out only a couple of times, but it had a chilling effect on Cincinnati's playcalling. Burrow averaged a league-high 7.6 dropbacks per game out of empty sets last season, when his 70.4 QBR was the 10th-best mark in football. On Sunday, the Bengals went empty twice, and he was 1-of-2 for 3 yards. The possibility of the Browns going back to that rush package and threatening the interior with Garrett likely discouraged them from going empty more often.

Does this feel like a blueprint other teams will emulate against the Bengals in the weeks to come? I'm not so sure. Disguising coverages and trying to make Burrow work harder after the snap isn't a bad idea, but it's also nothing new. A defensive coordinator lining up his best pass-rusher directly over the center is a fun tactic, but few teams have the sort of disruptor the Browns have with Garrett. (The Cardinals aren't going to be able to emulate this tactic in a few weeks when they play the Bengals, but the Rams and Titans might with Aaron Donald and Jeffery Simmons, respectively.)

With better weather and more pass attempts, it's tough for me to believe other defenses will shut down Burrow on those deep passes and prevent his receivers from winning on contested catches up the sideline. He averaged a league-high 9.5 yards per attempt against Cover 1 man over the prior two seasons, nearly a full yard ahead of anybody else in the league. The tactic worked because the Browns have good cornerbacks, enjoyed the benefits of sloppy weather and got pressure up front. Even two or three completions on those throws would dramatically shift a game in favor of Cincinnati.