2023 Camp News & Notes

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
MeatHeadbengal

Re: 2023 Camp News & Notes

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:07 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:42 pm
Here we are a week away from CLE and still no Burrow contract. This is a major fail IMO. If they are truly not close, I'm making an assumption there, then Burrow and especially his agent have to be thinking about sitting out. All of this cryptic bullshit about his calf is related to his contract, I'm convinced of it. You don't risk injury with $500mm on the line.
I'm seeing this on talking heads shows and I think you've been watching too much TV. Burrow's still under contract and he's going to get paid so he should play. I'm sick and tired of folks on TV saying he or any other player should hold out when they are already under contract. If I'm contracted to do a job I don't tell the person paying that contract I'm going to sit out until I get another contract, I do my job and finish the contract.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:27 pm

MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:07 pm
stripesincarolina wrote:
Here we are a week away from CLE and still no Burrow contract. This is a major fail IMO. If they are truly not close, I'm making an assumption there, then Burrow and especially his agent have to be thinking about sitting out. All of this cryptic bullshit about his calf is related to his contract, I'm convinced of it. You don't risk injury with $500mm on the line.
I'm seeing this on talking heads shows and I think you've been watching too much TV. Burrow's still under contract and he's going to get paid so he should play. I'm sick and tired of folks on TV saying he or any other player should hold out when they are already under contract. If I'm contracted to do a job I don't tell the person paying that contract I'm going to sit out until I get another contract, I do my job and finish the contract.
Meat, you're delusional. This isn't old school stripes, meat and B1 from the 80's working hard and honoring contracts. This is the cut throat pro-sports world where the money is being driven by agents and unions. Left to their own devices, these athletes would still be making pennies on the dollar and working until the day the contract was fulfilled. But that ain't reality. If the rest of the QBs are under a new agreement, then Joey should get one too despite whatever you or I think or feel. Also, remember that he is attempting to bake some concessions into a new agreement to help keep the weapons in place.

I am 100% in agreement with your take on contracts. But the owners are partly to blame for running their business in a such a fashion that this is allowed. So here we are.....and Sheisty isn't done with his new deal. When there is no guaranteed money left, he has to protect his future. He could blow out his elbow tomorrow and be done.
Seeking Superbowls

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:31 pm

As I've stated in previous posts, I have to believe the club and Burrow have already reached an agreement in principle. The fact that they've extended several players recently would seem to indicate they know what their cap room is going to look like for the next few years.

You wouldn't give another player an extension and then resign Joe and go, "Ooops, we had no idea he'd cost us this much. Looks like we're gonna have to let some people go now..."

I have to believe this is simply a case of crossing the T's and dotting the I's. Also, there has been no hint by any of the local Bengals beat writers of any issues from either the club or his agent. If things weren't going well one side or the other would be belly aching behind the scenes by now. There's literally nothing like that being reported by anyone, local or national.

Patience is a virtue...

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:55 pm

Paul Dehner Jr. @pauldehnerjr
First game week practice of the year for the #Bengals.
Perfect attendance of the 53-man roster, minus Joseph Ossai (ankle), rehabbing on the side field.

Chidobe Awuzie will play Sunday, according to Zac Taylor.
He will make his return on the same field he tore his ACL on Halloween in Cleveland.

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:28 pm

stripesincarolina wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:27 pm
MeatHeadbengal wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:07 pm
stripesincarolina wrote:
Meat, you're delusional. This isn't old school stripes, meat and B1 from the 80's working hard and honoring contracts. This is the cut throat pro-sports world where the money is being driven by agents and unions. Left to their own devices, these athletes would still be making pennies on the dollar and working until the day the contract was fulfilled. But that ain't reality. If the rest of the QBs are under a new agreement, then Joey should get one too despite whatever you or I think or feel. Also, remember that he is attempting to bake some concessions into a new agreement to help keep the weapons in place.

I am 100% in agreement with your take on contracts. But the owners are partly to blame for running their business in a such a fashion that this is allowed. So here we are.....and Sheisty isn't done with his new deal. When there is no guaranteed money left, he has to protect his future. He could blow out his elbow tomorrow and be done.
As a business owner my self I'm not delusional, I'm just not listening to the BS being spewed out of the TV on a daily bases from these over paid idiots that think they know what they talking about. I understand that agents and unions, all the bad things for the game in my opinion, are part of this industry however a contract is still a contract and if that basic principle isn't followed then there is no game!

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:29 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:31 pm
As I've stated in previous posts, I have to believe the club and Burrow have already reached an agreement in principle. The fact that they've extended several players recently would seem to indicate they know what their cap room is going to look like for the next few years.

You wouldn't give another player an extension and then resign Joe and go, "Ooops, we had no idea he'd cost us this much. Looks like we're gonna have to let some people go now..."

I have to believe this is simply a case of crossing the T's and dotting the I's. Also, there has been no hint by any of the local Bengals beat writers of any issues from either the club or his agent. If things weren't going well one side or the other would be belly aching behind the scenes by now. There's literally nothing like that being reported by anyone, local or national.

Patience is a virtue...
I have no doubt in my mind that Burrow will get extension, I think the hold up is Higgins. Whether or not they are able to get him signed is the real question in my mind.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:49 pm

Zac Taylor says Joseph Ossai ankle prognosis is “encouraging.” Calling him “day to day.”
That designation suggests IR won’t happen.

orange_black

Post by orange_black » Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:34 pm

ive seen a few reports that burrow's extension will be announced before sunday.... we'll see....