Corey Dillon Speaks...

Let's talk Cincinnati Bengals football!
skycruiser

Corey Dillon Speaks...

Post by skycruiser » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:31 pm

wooooow...dude aint wrong tho...

Corey Dillon: Bengals’ Ring of Honor, Hall of Fame omissions are ‘near-criminal’

18 Oct 1998: Halfback Corey Dillon #28 of the Cincinnati Bengals looks on during the game against the Tennessee Oilers at the Vanderbilt Stadium in Nashville, Tennessee. The Oilers defeated the Bengals 44-14. Mandatory Credit: Stephen Dunn /Allsport
By Paul Dehner Jr.
Jul 6, 2023

Save Article
On June 5, I reached out to Corey Dillon for a story I was researching about one of his former teammates.

Dillon texted back to set up a phone call, and after a brief discussion of the topic I was calling about, the Bengals legend shifted to a message he wanted to deliver. An explosive one. About the Ring of Honor voting, the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the inexplicable way he thinks his career has been viewed.

It was a message that put his famous “I’d rather flip burgers” rant to shame. He’s tired of being quiet. He’s tired of perception shaping reality. He’s tired of his undeniable numbers somehow not being enough to move the needle for season ticket holders voting in the Ring of Honor and beyond.

“You know the f—ery that’s going on,” he said. “We can shoot this straight. That’s the only way I like it.”

Corey Dillon is the Bengals’ all-time rushing leader with 8,061 yards. (Andy Lyons / Getty Images)
Toward the end of a 27-minute eruption of facts and frustration from the four-time Pro Bowler, Super Bowl champ and Bengals’ all-time leading rusher, I asked a simple question for extreme clarity.

Corey, what do you want me to do with all this? Do you want your voice out there?

“Man, you can quote me word-for-f—ing-word,” he said. “Print it. Because nobody gets this s—. I want it exactly how I told you. No spins. No nothing.”

Dillon sits as one of 10 running backs in the Super Bowl era whose career featured 4.3 yards per carry, 70 yards rushing per game and 10,000 total rushing yards. Eight are in (or will be first-ballot for) the Pro Football Hall of Fame; the others are Dillon and Fred Taylor.

Super Bowl era RBs: 4.3, 70, 10K club
Walter Payton
Y
Barry Sanders
Y
Adrian Peterson
N/A
LaDainian Tomlinson
Y
Eric Dickerson
Y
Tony Dorsett
Y
Marshall Faulk
Y
Fred Taylor
N
Corey Dillon
N
O.J. Simpson
Y
Dillon is one of just six running backs in the Super Bowl era with at least four seasons of 1,100 yards rushing and 4.6 yards per carry. Only Barry Sanders (seven) and Taylor (seven) have more.

Dillon began his career with six consecutive 1,100-yard rushing seasons, averaging 4.4 yards per carry and 80 rushing yards per game in that span. He did so with defenses consistently stacked against him as the Bengals quarterbacks struggled. Only 16 of those 84 starts featured a quarterback with even an average passer rating, and most ranked near the bottom of the NFL.

• Jon Kitna (27 starts): 69.2 passer rating
• Jeff Blake (23): 77.7
• Akili Smith (17): 52.8
• Neil O’Donnell (11): 90.2
• Boomer Esiason (5): 106.9
• Scott Mitchell (5): 44.0
• Paul Justin (3): 60.7
• Gus Frerotte (3): 46.1
• NFL average PR 1997-2002 (min. 500 attempts): 79.6

Dillon broke Jim Brown’s rookie rushing record that stood for 40 years with 246 yards (and four touchdowns) in a game in 1997. He broke Walter Payton’s single-game rushing record that stood for 23 years with 278 yards in 2000. He averaged more yards per carry that year than his quarterbacks’ yards per attempt.

Corey Dillon finds open field against the Broncos during his record-setting 278-yard rushing performance in 2000. The Bengals threw for only 34 yards in the 31-21 win. (Jonathan Daniel / Getty Images)
He won a Super Bowl with the New England Patriots in 2004, racking up 1,635 yards and 109 per game, earning the nickname Clock Killin’ Corey Dillon at age 30. The only other running backs in history to post those numbers in a championship season were Terrell Davis (1997, 1998) and Emmitt Smith (1995).

His case lies with not only the rarified air of his stats but also running backs in the Hall, playing their entire career in the Super Bowl era without nearing his numbers.

• Fewer than 10,000 career yards (3): Earl Campbell, Larry Csonka, Davis.
• Under 4.2 yards per carry (6): Franco Harris (4.1), Marcus Allen (4.1), Edgerrin James (4.0), Curtis Martin (4.0), Jerome Bettis (3.9), John Riggins (3.9).
• One or zero seasons of 1,100/4.6 (8): James (1), Martin (1), Bettis (1), Allen (1), Harris (1), Csonka (1), Riggins (0), Floyd Little (0)

Yet Dillon has never been even a semifinalist for the Hall of Fame. As the Bengals’ Ring of Honor voting has begun in recent years, he’s been an afterthought in votes cast by season ticket holders. The next two inductees should be announced later this month, and the expectation is Dillon will be left off again, though he is one of 13 nominees.

His case speaks for itself. But that hasn’t been enough. So, he offered these thoughts on all of the above. Word-for-f—ing-word. No spins. No nothing.

(Note: Conversation has been lightly edited for clarity.)

Dillon: I don’t pull no punches, and I’m not ducking anybody. I don’t have no friends I’m trying to protect, so I can speak freely about whatever I need to speak freely about. It’s damn-near criminal, what (Bengals Ring of Honor voters) are pulling off, to be honest with you. Did I not play for them? I don’t know, bro. I’m curious about that. Because it looks like they are glossing over me. For what reason? Because I left? That’s not a good enough reason. You are telling me there’s five other guys better than me — at my position? And trust me, this is no knock on whoever is getting in, who goes in, that’s not what it is about. It’s about what is your excuse going to be? I’m pretty sure they will put f—ing Jon Kitna in there before they put me. Matter of fact, Scott Mitchell will end up in that motherf—er before I do.

I think there are bigger things than that. I think you deserve to be in the Hall of Fame consideration.

I want it all. I am coming for it all. You know why? Because I earned it. I’m not one of these borderline guys sitting on my ass reminiscing, talking about, “Oh, if I had this, shoulda, coulda, woulda.” No. I’m justified. Why not? What it does, it breaks down to what I thought initially — which I hope it’s not true — I think they are mad at me for being vocal and going on to win a championship. That’s the only thing I can think of.

I have this stat I pull out about your career — how you have never been in the conversation for the Hall of Fame, one of 10 running backs with 4.3/10K/70. Eight are in the Hall or going to be. The others are you and Fred Taylor. And you did it with no quarterbacks, broke the rookie record of 246, broke the single-game record of 278 and have a massive role on a team that won a title. Your career checks every single box.

That’s why I resurfaced, man. Because there has been a lot of wrong that needs to be un-wronged. Nobody gets this. I don’t want to get into people’s personal business, but there are a lot of Hall of Famers that did far more worse s— than I did. We can cancel out that excuse. There is no excuse for that. On top of that, I thought the game was predicated on numbers. Are people looking at the numbers like, “Nah, nah”? I don’t think so. (Dillon was arrested twice in a matter of weeks in 2010, the first time for DUI, the second for spousal abuse, though criminal charges were dropped due to lack of evidence weeks later. The DUI was reduced to a reckless driving charge, and he paid a fine and served two years’ probation. He was also charged with fourth-degree assault in 2000 after an altercation with his then-wife that resulted in a diversion program and donation to a women’s shelter.)

To me, your career checks every box someone would value. Longevity? Check. Playing great on a title team? Check. High moments? Check. Check. Consistency? Check. It has everything — I don’t get it.

The real ones know. There’s a lot of real ones out here that really know, and we have the same question. Like, what’s the deal? I’m taking it as an organizational move. Nobody is pushing the envelope for these guys. I’m not even talking about myself — I’m trying to push the envelope for others.

I’m not down in Cincinnati, in the main office saying hello to Mike Brown every day. That ain’t going to happen. That shouldn’t negate my accomplishments on the field. Nothing should negate what you do on the field because that’s where it’s actually done. I don’t know where this thing got out of context to on-the-field work versus off-the-field work and being a latter-day saint. S—, none of us are. I’m a God-fearing, Christian man. And I got issues, and I know everybody else do, too. So, there’s nobody running around here perfect. Everybody has something they aren’t proud of. People are running out of excuses.

Season ticket holder voting ends up with a lot of votes from people who never saw you play, and it can become a popularity contest.

And that’s garbage. That’s garbage. This should be solely predicated on the authorities of the Bengals. The owner. The president. Whatever. There should be a special committee. This ain’t a popularity contest. This is football. You are going to put in somebody who is more popular than somebody who got stats?

Bengals are smart. I give it to them. We will put it in the hands of the season ticket holders so they don’t have to take that backlash over who the voters are picking. That’s bulls—. The s— should come straight from the team. Half these season ticket holder people never seen half of us play.

Anthony Muñoz puts the Ring of Honor jacket on inductee Willie Anderson during the induction of the 2022 class. Anderson and Isaac Curtis joined inaugural members Muñoz, Ken Anderson, Ken Riley and Paul Brown in the Ring. (Sam Greene / USA Today)
All you can do is put the numbers out there.

You know the f—ery that’s going on. We can shoot this straight. That’s the only way I like it. I don’t need no sympathy f—ing vote. I don’t want that s—. Not at all. This is just straight man-to-man conversation s—. Here’s the facts. Where are people glossing over the facts? Chad (Johnson) was popular? That’s bulls—, bro. There’s a thousand motherf—ers more popular than me in football. Are their stats like mine? No.

I never played this game for a popularity vote. Never have. I played the game to win. And win and win and win again. I don’t know how this came off about, “Oh, we like him more.” Who gives a f—? Go out there and win games. To be honest, to keep it real, I’m the most decorated Bengal, period, outside of Anthony Muñoz — much respect; that’s one of my idols. He put in the work. So did both Kens (Riley and Anderson). Other than that, I should have been the next dude on.

I think you have the most compelling actual Pro Football HOF case among all those former Bengals who are eligible. You don’t see a collection of stats and seasons like that together, but a lot of season ticket holders didn’t come along until 2005.

Whose fault is that? Not mine. I’m trying to keep it as simple as possible. There is no f—ing excuse for what they are doing. Should Chad be in the Ring? Of course he should. He’s the best at wide receiver. F—ing right. I’m not trying to put player versus player — that’s not where I’m going. I’m going to the whole structure of how they are putting people in. It’s f—ed up. I tell you what, man, I don’t like my career being in the hands of any-f—ing-body, to be honest with you. Who are they to say if I’m worthy or not? That’s where I’m at with stuff. If you’ve been in the trenches and know what (a) sacrifice (it) is playing hurt, playing when you didn’t want to play, you don’t know. You think that s— was easy, going out there every week with a nine-man, eight-man box and suiting up and saying, “F— it, it’s time to go”? Who wants that? Who would suit up for that? That’s where I’m coming from.

Your number of yards gained grinding out against heavy boxes is wild.

Let me break this down to you: Was Willie Anderson double-teamed all f—ing day? Was Chad Johnson double-teamed all f—ing day? I don’t think so. Was the defense altering their defense to stop that guy only?

They were for you.

Exactly. That’s what I’m saying. We’re different.

Don’t let this get to you …

I set out to accomplish what I really wanted to accomplish, and that was winning that Super Bowl. That meant every-f—ing-thing to me because now I can talk s— forever because it validates every-f—ing-thing I’m saying. Everything. Everything. So, in hindsight, I’m just coming from a place now — now that we’re talking about it — I want the whole pie.

Did I not play? And don’t make this a Cincinnati thing, because I’m about to get on the Pats’ ass, too. It’s coming. I’m coming for it all. Give it to me while I’m breathing. If anybody wants to disagree, just go look at the f—ing numbers and have a Coke and smile.

Paul Dehner Jr.
Paul Dehner Jr. is a senior writer and podcast host for The Athletic. He's been covering the Bengals and NFL since 2009, most notably, for six seasons with The Cincinnati Enquirer. He's born, raised and proudly Cincinnati. Follow Paul on Twitter @pauldehnerjr

4256 Hits

Re: Corey Dillon Speaks...

Post by 4256 Hits » Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:00 pm

Sorry Corey you don't belong in the HOF and you should not have been part of the first two classes of the Bengals ring of honor. You just were not that good and you were kind of an ass so that doesn't help your case. Yes someday when they get further down the list of Bengals greats the ROH will include you.
Last edited by 4256 Hits on Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stripesincarolina

Post by stripesincarolina » Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:02 pm

4256 Hits wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:00 pm
Sorry Corey you don't belong in the HOF and you should not have been part of the first two classes of the Bengals ring of honor. You just were not that good and you were kind of an ass so that doesn't help you case. Yes someday when they get further down the list of Bengals greats the ROH will include you.
Oh snap, those are fighting words. This will rile up the forum for preseason! :lol:
Seeking Superbowls

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:56 pm

I have no problem with Corey in either the HOF or the Stadium ROH....eventually.

But Hits is right, that attitude isn't going to win him any support. The fans shouldn't have a say in who's in the teams Ring of Honor...!?! The entire idea of a Ring of Honor is to give back something to the fans for all their support. Of course the fans should have a say!

I have no doubt Corey will make it on the ROH but he should wait his turn while older and more prominent players are honored first. It's not that hard.

As for the HOF. Every great Bengal player with the exception of Munoz has been disrespected simply because the league and those who run it don't like the team or our ownership. There's no good reason Ken Riley should ever have been passed over for as long as he was except he played for the Bengals.

Corey can wait his turn like Ken Anderson and Willie Anderson and Issac Curtis have. In time, he ought to get there. But mouthing off and pounding your chest isn't going to win him any votes. Patience is still a virtue.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:01 pm

This made me laugh.... :lol:

Boomer Esiason @7BOOMERESIASON
Yes I read it. Because the Bengals have waited so long to honor their past we all have to wait.
As Mark Twain said.
“When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times.” Corey’s time will come…

MeatHeadbengal

Post by MeatHeadbengal » Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:54 pm

Boomer has a really good point. I like Cory and I feel he should be in but I don't believe he deserves to be in ahead of anyone there already.

skycruiser

Post by skycruiser » Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:28 pm

Y’all are crazy. Corey was the only reason to watch this horrendous team for YEARS. He deserves to be in the HOF

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:58 pm

skycruiser wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:28 pm
Y’all are crazy. Corey was the only reason to watch this horrendous team for YEARS. He deserves to be in the HOF
I called the HOF and told them my name was Joe B. I asked what the criteria was for being voted in? Being the only decent player on a horrible team wasn't one of them... :roll:

Oh, BTW Joe.....the guy at the HOF says the Browns old NFL Championships still don't count as Super Bowl wins. 8-)

4256 Hits

Post by 4256 Hits » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:10 pm

Bengals1 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:58 pm
skycruiser wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:28 pm
I called the HOF and told them my name was Joe B. I asked what the criteria was for being voted in? Being the only decent player on a horrible team wasn't one of them... :roll:

Oh, BTW Joe.....the guy at the HOF says the Browns old NFL Championships still don't count as Super Bowl wins. 8-)
:lol:

I think he needed one more 1k season to be HOF worthy so he is just a little short of getting in and playing mostly for the Bengals we all know he will not get in.

Bengals1

Post by Bengals1 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:49 pm

Corey Dillon Clarifies Ring of Honor Comments, Hopes to Meet With Bengals Owner Mike Brown
Dillon spent the first seven years of his NFL career in Cincinnati by JAMES RAPIEN

CINCINNATI — Former Bengals running back Corey Dillon was in the news last week after sharing his thoughts on the Ring of Honor, his lack of consideration for the Hall of Fame and more.

The 48-year-old clarified those comments on Sunday night during an appearance on Bengal Jim and Friends.

"I want the fans to know like when I'm speaking, I'm not speaking about the fans in Cincinnati or the City of Cincinnati," Dillon said. "I'm just stating stuff that I want fixed. It's all business, it's not nothing personal. I don't really have no animosity against Mike Brown or the Bengals, nothing like that. My whole thing is I want them to do right by their former players. That's my whole objective. And there's a lot of stuff that needs to be fixed in my book. Hopefully sometime in the future, me and Mike Brown can have that conversation. With me, it's a front office thing. It has nothing to do with players, the current state of the Bengals right now, none of my teammates. It's basically something that needs to be ironed and fixed out between the front office and myself. And I hope that gets done some time in the near future."

Dillon is the Bengals' all-time leading rusher (8,061 yards) and made the Pro Bowl three times during his seven years in Cincinnati.